IU Coaching News

mreye

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not overwhelmingly surprising. his interviews lately have given a nod to this. at the end of the day it's probably better for him, for indiana and for everyone involved.

i do think davis ends up with another head coaching job. maybe uab if mike anderson gets a bigger job.

it will be interesting to see who the hoosiers pursue. alford probably looks real good right now to them.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 08:00 AM)
Already in the CBB thread, of course.  However, I'm not going to merge this, and we can use this thread for any news on possible replacements, etc. for the time being.

And I still do not want Steve Alford.

Sure ya do.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
Alford looks no better in the Big Ten, career-wise.  It's not all about us wanting an IU guy, it's just the results.  If Alford was a little over .500 in 4 consecutive seasons, he'd be hearing all the stuff Davis is right now.

i agree with you. alford has not had a distinguished college coaching career since he left mid-major world. but, timing is everything and this year alford looks like boy wonder again. if he wins the league i would have to imagine he will emerge as the front-runner.

personally, i think they'd be better off looking at guys like majerus, few, gillispie or altman. hell, i'd even look into john thompson jr., although i think it's doubtful he'd leave g'town.

Im going to agree with greasy that Alford would not be the best choice. Majerus, Calipari, Few, or Pearl are just a few of the many coaches out there who are better choices than Alford. The only reason he gets mentioned is because he is one of the greatest players in IU bball history.

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
Im going to agree with greasy that Alford would not be the best choice. Majerus, Calipari, Few, or Pearl are just a few of the many coaches out there who are better choices than Alford. The only reason he gets mentioned is because he is one of the greatest players in IU bball history.

Calipari and Pearl are both huge scumbags, not sure that is exactly what IU will be looking for in a coach.

Everyone thinks Pearl is moving, but I dont see why. That guy has a great job with Tennessee, and his team is really good and getting better. I have read that people think he will be going to missouri, and now IU. i think he is sitting still

The word on ESPN about Alford last night was that Alford would probably take the job, but only if it was basically offered up to him on a silver platter. Their report was that Alford didn't want to go through an interview process where he was one of 4 or 5 candidates.

That's one thing I hate about the Alford situation. He's finally having a good year, and that lays a lot into the talks. However, he doesn't have a good past, and there's no real proof that the light's turned on this year, and this is what he can do from here on out.

One name that really hasn't been mentioned that could be an interesting one is Rick Barnes at UT. There's a lot of egos in college sports, and Barnes is basically 3rd fiddle to football and baseball at Texas. He could be the guy here, if he wanted that.

Does anyone know what time the press conference is supposed to take place? There's like a billion media trucks outside of AH.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
Does anyone know what time the press conference is supposed to take place?  There's like a billion media trucks outside of AH.

ESPN said noon eastern before I came in...which would mean it's already happening.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
Makes sense.

Great article by Whitlock on the whole situation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...whitlock/060216

It's ridiculous how many opinion letters in the IDS today are saying race played into the factor.  It's not that at all.

The only way race played a factor is if somehow race played a factor in his inability to get recruits to commit. Aside from that, not a chance in Hell. I think he h ad more than enough of a shot. He's barely above a .500 record in the last 3 years.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
If Alford did somehow get the job, recruiting might take a hit. Not necessarily his strong point....

I still don't want him, but I think he'd have no problem winning back the state of Indiana in recruiting because of his past. And Indiana's known to have some great talent over the years.

I wonder if Majerus's health issues are rectified? If so I would have to say he would be my #1 choice for the job. The guy has won everywhere he has been, and even turned somewhere like Utah into a place to go for NCAA hoops. Can you imagine what he could do in a place that almost recruits for itself?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
If Alford did somehow get the job, recruiting might take a hit. Not necessarily his strong point....

I'm going to argue with you there. Steve Alford is a solid recruiter. He got guys into SW Mizzou and Manchester that had no business stooping that low. He hasn't done bad at a place like Iowa either, which isn't exactly a prime destination. I think he would be a huge recruiter at Indiana, but it is more his in-game coaching is what I would worry about. I know first hand that recruiting and motivation were always his two biggest talents.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
I wonder if Majerus's health issues are rectified?  If so I would have to say he would be my #1 choice for the job.  The guy has won everywhere he has been, and even turned somewhere like Utah into a place to go for NCAA hoops.  Can you imagine what he could do in a place that almost recruits for itself?

That'd be a good choice actually. I also wouldn't sleep on Alford, I don't know how much he wondered about taking the job before, but if he had any regrets of not taking the job, he'll have his chance now if it's offered to him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 10:12 AM)
I wonder if Majerus's health issues are rectified?  If so I would have to say he would be my #1 choice for the job.  The guy has won everywhere he has been, and even turned somewhere like Utah into a place to go for NCAA hoops.  Can you imagine what he could do in a place that almost recruits for itself?

I don't think he's even worth the risk, entirely for his health reasons. He still isn't exactly what I'd call "Slim", and IU really couldn't afford to risk taking him on, having him start up the season or even play through a season or two and then all of a sudden have him decide that his health concerns are too much or actually have him suffer from a major problem like a heart attack. The last thing we want is to wind up with Tim Floyd on the bench.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 16, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
I don't think he's even worth the risk, entirely for his health reasons.  He still isn't exactly what I'd call "Slim", and IU really couldn't afford to risk taking him on, having him start up the season or even play through a season or two and then all of a sudden have him decide that his health concerns are too much or actually have him suffer from a major problem like a heart attack.  The last thing we want is to wind up with Tim Floyd on the bench.

Tim Floyd was very successful at Iowa State.