PS3: Better be made out of gold

southsideirish71

AWhiteFlame writes "Cnet is reporting that a research report issued by Merrill Lynch suggests that the Sony PlayStation 3's American release may be postponed until 2007. From the article: 'The analyst firm proposed the idea that high costs and Sony's decision to use an 'ambitious new processor architecture--the Cell' is making it look like the company might not be able to meet its goal of getting the PS3 out in the U.S. this year.' Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment." The official report (pdf) would also seem to indicate that the console will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $900 when it launches.

PS3 possibly to be delayed until 2007

Merrill Lynch PDF Report, estimated cost at launch 900 bucks

Hopefully the materials go down(blue ray costs today vs next year), because I cannot see to many people dropping more than 500 bucks for a console. Microsoft took a hit on every xbox 360 they sold , their materials cost were still more than what they are getting. They of course can afford to take that loss as they make it up in software in a short period of time. The xbox 360 is expensive, but if the PS3 is north of 500 bucks for a generic console even with Sony taking a hit on each console, thats a huge amount for the general public to take in. This is very disappointing to me as a avvid SOCOM player.

Edited by southsideirish71

I think at the $400-$500 range, you're really closing in on pricing a lot of people out of the market.

I was actually considering getting a new system to replace the old Super Nintendo (yes you read that right) now that the Fiancee's employed, and since hopefully in the next year or so I'll be getting a new TV, but hell, if the PS3 costs more than a brand new PC, there aint' a chance in hell I'd buy one of those.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
I think at the $400-$500 range, you're really closing in on pricing a lot of people out of the market.

I was actually considering getting a new system to replace the old Super Nintendo (yes you read that right) now that the Fiancee's employed, and since hopefully in the next year or so I'll be getting a new TV, but hell, if the PS3 costs more than a brand new PC, there aint' a chance in hell I'd buy one of those.

As a security engineer I am not a big fan of Microsoft, but they have the top marketing department in the world. I still believe that they didnt have production issues with the 360 and just slowed the released of these units, just enough to keep it so getting one around Christmas was like hitting the lottery. I was at Walmart at midnight in November when they released the 360. There were over 500 people in the store, lined up for something that was overpriced and they didnt need. I was one of them. If the PS3 comes out in December next year, trust me even though they will lose the average person they will still have a demand as kids have a lot more influence over their parents as far as purchases. Sony will leak a few here and there and do it like Microsoft and they will still sell a lot of them. Its so sad how much these things have jumped in price. And remember this is for core units, without any games or extras.

We could easily see familys dropping over 1500 bucks for a game system and a few games. YIKES

Edited by southsideirish71

$900 all for better graphics basically. I think it will settle somewhere close to $400-$500. New technology....and IBM who was helping develop it(Cell Processor) wants to use it in other projects. I heard in a story a week or so ago, that IBM said if SONY was having trouble with finishing the PS3, then it was other components and NOT the Cell Processor.....but now a story like this comes out and makes you wonder how much is actually done with the PS3....or how close they really are to finishing it. So the date could be right, but I doubt by the time it's released it will cost that much.....more than a PC??? no way.

Don't let the games thread go to waste. Post stuff like this in that....that's why I made it :D

I just can't imagine them being stupid enough to sell it for that much. They have to know that they'd get absolutely smoked if it costs $700 more than the Revolution and about $400 more than an Xbox 360. It would have to be considerably more powerful and have considerably better games. I don't think that's likely.