Magglio quote

southsideirish

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if 750 players on MLB rosters were all crying in their beer this off season because they didn't become free agents and sign with the White Sox at any price? HA HA those dumb bastards Thomas will be the next one to sing the blues. He should have begged Kenny to keep him at any price. And what about Sandy Alomar? dumb ass signs with Texas! They were out of it in June.

In 20 years, the only difference between $10 mil and $14 mil is R-E-S-P-E-C-T. That's it. Maggs thought he was being lowballed and he took the money. I think most of us would do that.

His quote is more a slap in the face to the Tigers than it is to the White Sox, cuz, well, the Sox don't care. But, if I could have whispered into Maggs ear, I would've had him say this.

It's hard to see ANY team other than your own win the World Series and I'm going to do my damnedest to get the Tigers their own World Series ring.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
In 20 years, the only difference between $10 mil and $14 mil is R-E-S-P-E-C-T.  That's it.  Maggs thought he was being lowballed and he took the money.  I think most of us would do that. 

His quote is more a slap in the face to the Tigers than it is to the White Sox, cuz, well, the Sox don't care.  But, if I could have whispered into Maggs ear, I would've had him say this.

It's hard to see ANY team other than your own win the World Series and I'm going to do my damnedest to get the Tigers their own World Series ring.

We offered him 12 mill iirc. Whatever, I don't even care about the money, if he would have just left nicely and stfu I'd have no problem with him. He's a jackass and I hope he rots in Detroit.

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)
Im certainly happy with JD in right

but honestly, if you were Maggs, what were the odds you would have put on the white sox winning the world series when he left (although Detroit is lower)

He went for the money and it produced a major drawback

50-1? That is what they were when I bet on them last January. 50 bucks at 50-1 odds = $2,500. Yabba Dabba Delicious!!!!

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
There is a difference. When Frank comes back to the Cell, I'll cheer. If Carlos ever comes back, I'll cheer.

Maggs is a greedy prick(dont give me the,"you would take the most money" line. I understand that, but we had a MORE than fair offer on the table, AFTER he ripped his knee to shreds.)

I love seeing him cry in Motown. f*** him.

^^^^^

I have no more animosity towards Maggs. Was I pissed when he left? Yes. Did he handle it poorly? He sure did. And Sox fans gave him his just due every time he came to the plate last season. But to me, its over and done with. I will treat him like any other visiting ballplayer next year. We got what we wanted, and he got what he wanted.

He really looked bad during the whole thing, but he did accomplish alot with us. And afterall, we all forgave Frank after every time he complained about his contract or whined about this and that. I think its time we let the whole Maggs thing die as well.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
He did? Granted he wasnt the problem, but the Sox were in the playoffs once when Magglio was here.

If Frank, or Paul, s***, even a guy like Podsednik left like Maggs did, I would have a hard time holding a grudge just based on what they brought me in 05. Maggs didnt bring us s***.

Im sorry for the harsh posts, I really just have a HUGE hatred for Magglio.

You would have the same hatred for Konerko if he had bolted for the Angels. And the only thing that stopped that from happening was the Sox going 5 years. And that's bulls*** to hold it against Maggs that the Sox never won a title while he was here.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
LMAO.  Scotty Boras wouldnt let you hear that Maggs.  He was too busy telling you about money and how great it will be to have a whole lot of it.    Thats ok though, Maggs got what he wanted and so did the Sox

OHHHHHH---Weeeee------Ohhhh! "GREEEEEDY---OH!!!

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
You would have the same hatred for Konerko if he had bolted for the Angels.  And the only thing that stopped that from happening was the Sox going 5 years.  And that's bulls*** to hold it against Maggs that the Sox never won a title while he was here.

Not necessarily. Ordonez never even gave the Sox a fair shake. Refused to allow any examinations of his knee until after the arbitration deadline...basically came out and prove he lied when he said he wanted to come back and play for the team earlier that season. He basically made it impossible for the Sox to offer him arbitration and even compete to offer him a contract. And his war of words with Ozzie after he left certainly didn't help.

Had Konerko bolted for the Angels, I would probably have been furious with management for letting him go unless the contract the Angels offered him was outrageously large. I mean like Ordonez-large, or bigger than that. If the Sox weren't willing to pony up the contract he got...the front office would be the target of my wrath.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
Not necessarily.  Ordonez never even gave the Sox a fair shake.  Refused to allow any examinations of his knee until after the arbitration deadline...basically came out and prove he lied when he said he wanted to come back and play for the team earlier that season.  He basically made it impossible for the Sox to offer him arbitration and even compete to offer him a contract.  And his war of words with Ozzie after he left certainly didn't help.

Had Konerko bolted for the Angels, I would probably have been furious with management for letting him go unless the contract the Angels offered him was outrageously large.  I mean like Ordonez-large, or bigger than that.  If the Sox weren't willing to pony up the contract he got...the front office would be the target of my wrath.

I'm not saying Maggs was some perfect little angel that got shafted by the Sox. I'm aware of everything that happened. But to trash the guy and act like he was never s*** is stupid. And I think you're in the minority as far as Konerko goes. If he had bolted, he would be getting killed on this board.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 06:52 PM)
I would have been very pissed. But I would have made sure to be at the Cell the first time Paul came back and I would clap. Sorry, but he was a HUGE part of the WS team, and that is something to big to overlook.

I dont think im in the minority when saying that, sorry.

So basically, if you weren't part of the 05 championship team, you ain't s***?

Which situation was worse?

Maggs stiffing the Sox

Sox stiffing Frank

Both are examples of teams and players looking out for their best interest. Frank was no longer a value to the team, so he was shown the door. There is no loyalty in baseball, or any sport, and it seems silly that we should somehow demand it from players.

Certainly every player wishes they won the final game of the season, but do you really think Clemens wishes he had signed with the Sox? I can't believe people really "hate" someone over this.

BTW, wasn't Dye a greedy bastard for signing with the Sox as a free agent?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 06:56 PM)
So basically,  if you weren't part of the 05 championship team,  you ain't s***?

Lucky Frank, or his achievements wouldn't have amounted to s*** without him winning that World Series ring.