McCarthy forgoes cutter for two-seamer

SSH2005

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: McCarthy sets aside new pitch

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Brandon McCarthy had thoughts of tacking on a fourth pitch to his repertoire this spring.

But when balancing the addition of a cut fastball against the understanding of his new role, the lanky right-hander decided three was a magic number where his variety of offerings are concerned.

"We were tinkering with the cutter for a little bit, but we kind of shut that down," McCarthy said. "Especially out of the bullpen -- you rarely need three different pitches out of the bullpen, let alone four.

"There's no reason to start working on a fourth right now when I have to work on a whole new role. At some point, I might ease that in. For right now, I'm going to stay with what I have."

The 22-year-old already features the basic fastball and curve, along with what some insiders consider one of the best changeups in the American League -- even with less than one year of Major League experience. Instead of adding the cutter, McCarthy said that he plans to develop a two-seam fastball.

McCarthy gave his brief work with the cutter mixed reviews. He mentioned that it's tough for him to get a lot of movement on his pitches, and that he would sometimes drop his arm slot or do "something unnatural with it" to cheat and see the pitch move more when throwing the cutter.

It was a problem with McCarthy's arm slot that was corrected around the All-Star break in 2005, leading to his 3-1 record and 1.69 ERA over the season's final month. As some sort of hybrid starter-reliever combination for 2006, McCarthy doesn't want to mess with success as he refines his latest role.

"If I work a fourth pitch in, I'm either throwing more pitches or taking away from the others," said McCarthy, who pointed out that he usually likes to throw 10 pitches with each selection during a 30-pitch bullpen session. "Right now, until I'm at a place to ease it in, I'll stay away from it."

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)

Man I think I reported that a few months ago :)

Well the gist of that. I need to get back off my ass and start writing.

But I think this is smart of Brandon. The pen is a totally different role and it would be hard to get comfortable in the pen and work on a new pitch. That said I wouldn't be shocked if he toys with the new pitch during spring training just a bit, but I wouldn't expect to see him use it much (he'll probably toy with it again over the off-season and than next spring).

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)
McCarthy really comes off as a genuine student of the game.  He is very intelligent when expressing how he wants to do things and he never seems rushed about anything.  Im really excited to have this kid in the organization.

The kid is a baseball genius and he comes by it naturally. Listening to his clinic you could tell Bmac is a sponge of every baseball mind he has ever been around.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
The kid is a baseball genius and he comes by it naturally.  Listening to his clinic you could tell Bmac is a sponge of every baseball mind he has ever been around.

And a true perfectionist. I really liken him to the type of guy Greg Maddux was when it came to executing. We'll see if he can have that sort of career (it would be pretty awesome).

I love how calm and confident he is on the mound.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 06:48 PM)
And a true perfectionist.  I really liken him to the type of guy Greg Maddux was when it came to executing.  We'll see if he can have that sort of career (it would be pretty awesome). 

I love how calm and confident he is on the mound.

If he becomes anything close to Greg Maddux I'll be a happy man. I'm hoping for that also.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 06:47 PM)
The kid is a baseball genius and he comes by it naturally.  Listening to his clinic you could tell Bmac is a sponge of every baseball mind he has ever been around.

I wouldn't call him a genius, but he's the smartest pitcher I've talked to, and Honel was way up there on the intelligence scale. McCarthy understands what he has to do, and the big difference between him and a lot of younger pitchers is that he can back it up and place any pitch where he wants it. He's got the arm and mind of a surgeon.