2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
Orioles' outfielder David Newhan is on the DL with a broken leg.

No big deal, the Orioles lead the world in crappy outfielders, they have half a dozen of them (well now 5 with Newhan hurt), and will survive this injury.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 19, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)
Reggie Abercrombie CF of the Florida Marlins hit his first career HR today . . . it traveled 493 feet.

I've sat in the area where that homer landed......and all I can say is check the man for HGH, steroids, and whatever else you can think of. That's almost impossible to me that he hit it up there, if I hadn't seen the highlight I wouldn't believe it.

And 493 feet is selling him at least 30 feet short.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
Anybody checkin' out the D-rays/Red Sox game on ESPN 2?  Scott Kazmir made the Red Sox offense look foolish.  The Mets will forever be idiots for giving this guy away.

Yep, he's a stud and a steal for my fantasy teams. He actually left due to "injury" which freaked me out, but it was only a "thumb cramp" and he won't miss a start. Saw the kid in person last July in Tampa as he struck out 11 and left with the lead in a low scoring game, his stuff is NASTY, especially for a young lefty like that.

The 47 year old Julio Franco comes in as a pinch hitter tonight, with his team down 2-1 in the 8th, at a great pitchers park (San Diego) and one of baseball's best middle relivers in in Scott Linebrink. So what does Franco do? He goes oppo for a clutch 2 run homer to give the Mets a 3-2 lead. That guy is just unbelieveable.

EDIT: Franco is now the oldest player ever to hit a homer in an MLB game, methinks this will end up with it's own thread. Damn and he did it in a clutch spot too, bravo Julio.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Prince Fielder has been RED HOT since being moved down to #7 in the lineup after a slow start. After going 3 for 5 with an RBI tonight, Fielder is now hitting .383 on the season with 2 homers, 10 RBI's, 8 runs, 6 walks, and even a stolen base. Problem is the Brewers have been getting no pitching lately, and were torched again tonight in a 12-8 loss at Miller Park to the Reds, who quietly have started solid at 10-6.

Cards purchase contract of Timo Perez

ph_340392.jpg

Outfielder Timo Perez's Minor League contract was sold to the Cardinals on Friday and he will play for Triple-A Memphis. Because of visa issues that prohibited Perez from playing in front of paying customers, the outfielder was not allowed to participate in the Reds' big league camp after signing on Feb. 9. He had been playing at extended Spring Training.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)
Pujols has 1,000 career hits and he's 26 years old...

It's gonna be incredible tracking this guys career.

He has a realistic shot of hitting 100 career homers against some of the NL Central teams. He already has close to 30 homers against teams like the Cubs, Pirates, and Reds, and then new ballparks in Cincy and StL are only going to make it easier.

More Pujols love: The guy is just a joy to watch. Bases loaded and 2 out in a tie game, he took a Williamson fastball right on the outside corner and just slapped it through the middle. Didn't try to do to much and got 2 rbi's.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 22, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
More Pujols love:  The guy is just a joy to watch.  Bases loaded and 2 out in a tie game, he took a Williamson fastball right on the outside corner and just slapped it through the middle.  Didn't try to do to much and got 2 rbi's.

I found a quote on cubstalk that I just love about Pujols "god damn, does that b**** ever NOT come through?" As much as Sweeney seems like a Sox killer, at least he's past his prime, while Pujols seems to get better and better.