Soxtalk and YASNY featured in Sports Illustrated

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
From that thread:

Los:  "If everyone can trace this rumor to this site, it better be true, or we're gonna get ripped.'

Jackie Hayes:  "Disagree. I think most posters have been pretty cautious. And if the national media utters a single word based on such a flimsy source, it won't be the source that looks ridiculous. "

I still think that. I did say "most" posters, not "all". I think the general reaction was just wait-and-see, and some tittering and chatter. Not really accusatory. And I haven't seen the SI story, but it would be awful funny if journalists attacked anonymous internet posters for irresponsible reporting. Jmho.

Uuuum, I'd like to thank God first of all. Without him, I'd be nothing. I also want to thank my mom. I love you mom! My grandfather for getting me into this great sport of baseball. I want to give a shout out to the Sun Times and the Tribune as well. And of course Sports Illustrated, for putting SoxTalk on the map (oh, and Hawk too.) HAWK...........YES!

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
I still think that.  I did say "most" posters, not "all".  I think the general reaction was just wait-and-see, and some tittering and chatter.  Not really accusatory.  And I haven't seen the SI story, but it would be awful funny if journalists attacked anonymous internet posters for irresponsible reporting.  Jmho.

I think that was the general reaction by everyone but the

"na, na, na, na, na, naaaaa"

ones.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
That sounds pretty spot-on to me.  I doubt any reputable journalist would take posts from an internet message board as fact or the base for nation-wide rumor, but, I, personally have found an uncanny resemblence between Soxtalk conjecture and Chicago White Sox beat reporters when it comes to personnel moves.  I mean, uncanny.

On this topic of Chicago Media members lifting material from Soxtalk, there's one person--perhaps the most well known in this city--whose raised my attention in the past.

When Mariotti was on ESPN 1000, I recall several instances it was almost eerie how similar his comments were to posts on Soxtalk. I don't believe I posted on the issue, but someone--believe it was SS2k5--said something one morning about the Sox which Mariotti repeated WORD for WORD. It wasn't "Sox are terrible," but an assessment I recall ssk25 mentioning which struck me as familar after Mariotti said it.

I hope this SI article doesn't change our website. And by change, I mean a WSI scenario where we're more concerned about appeasing the media than serving our own members. I doubt this would happen, but just want to throw it out there and hope it's shunned upon. :usa

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
I hope this SI article doesn't change our website. And by change, I mean a WSI scenario where we're more concerned about appeasing the media than serving our own members. I doubt this would happen, but just want to throw it out there and hope it's shunned upon.  :usa

It wont happen anytime..... soon. :ph34r:

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
I wonder if all the guests have favorite posters, and they get all caught up in the drama and take sides........

My fan club is pretty huge i am guessing. Bigg3st. 3vAr.

Well if there are any lurkers who want a poster to be their new favorite, I think that Soxbadger will be the one for you.

Also I wouldnt worry about any legal ramifications for the thread, etc. Both Clemens and Damon are public figures, meaning that they would have to prove "malice" or actual knowledge that what they said about Clemens is false.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
Well if there are any lurkers who want a poster to be their new favorite, I think that Soxbadger will be the one for you.

Also I wouldnt worry about any legal ramifications for the thread, etc. Both Clemens and Damon are public figures, meaning that they would have to prove "malice" or actual knowledge that what they said about Clemens is false.

Did they ever make statements...?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:44 PM)
On this topic of Chicago Media members lifting material from Soxtalk, there's one person--perhaps the most well known in this city--whose raised my attention in the past.

When Mariotti was on ESPN 1000, I recall several instances it was almost eerie how similar his comments were to posts on Soxtalk.

i've noticed stuff like that before, but i thought it was probably just a coincidence.

i guess i could have been wrong (for the first time ever).

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
Ha the timing on this couldn't be more random but better.  Especially if it gets them on the board, and they notice the new TalkBulls and TalkBears.

Way to just slip that right in there. :D

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)

shrewd advice from someone that has obviously taken the bar exam.

As a side note from this SI issue, that actually deals with the sox, in the Hot and Cold section #1 on the COLD list is Chicago baseball!

I could understand if they said the Cubs were cold, but come on! The sox just won the world series and have sold 2.2 million tickets. How could SI say the sox are cold just because of a s***ty spring training record?

Just a little rant. Go back to taking about Soxtalk's new fame.