Soxtalk and YASNY featured in Sports Illustrated

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
That isn't drama, and wouldn't sell magazines..

true enough, but generally i expect more out of sports illustrated. plus, bashing sportswriters is pretty popular. i think people would eat up a piece that highlighted the decaying standards of journalism.

of course, considering sportswriters and journalists were putting this together...

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ic=38687&st=282

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
You know, I think there are quite a few lurkers here, because I have made rumors in the past that have come up other places.

I think that, with Futuresox and a few other members here with "inside" information sometimes, that people visiting here can take our speculation as a quotable rumor.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
media members are increasingly paying attention to these kinds of boards. i have a friend who's a beat writer for a major daily and he said he checks boards regularly. he doesn't run with everything he sees, but there are things he can at least check out. frankly, if i was a beat writer i think i would not be doing my job if i wasn't checking.

that is partly what disappointed me in the article. it was nice to see the soxtalk mention, but a more key point is why is this reaching the "mainstream" press. i wish the article would have explored further how a post on a message board gets into the regular news.

to me, it is not news that some outlandish ideas are offered up on a fan web site. it is news that it would be picked up and run with by news outlets throughout the country who are supposed to be held to higher standards of accountability.

The thing is... Even though Soxtalk may be the first place the rumor was seen in print of any kind, it was being circulated through newsrooms and such at the same time. Sparto51, was just one of the first to hear the rumor. Dan Patrick was on the air at the same time as that was posted, and at the beginning of his show he mentioned that there would be some big news on the horizon in the next few days. He was cryptic, but he heard the same rumor before it was posted here.

It's not like the media ran with a rumor that was originating from here. It was originating from someplace genuine, it just gained the most recognition here.

I'm browsing through the steroid thread, and YASNY didn't post until #108.

Whomever contributed to the article spent some time collecting their quotes.

Also, several noted we weren't the website in which the rumors originated. A New York website (not cited) indicated two big names possibly tested positive for steroid use.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
The thing is... Even though Soxtalk may be the first place the rumor was seen in print of any kind, it was being circulated through newsrooms and such at the same time. Sparto51, was just one of the first to hear the rumor. Dan Patrick was on the air at the same time as that was posted, and at the beginning of his show he mentioned that there would be some big news on the horizon in the next few days. He was cryptic, but he heard the same rumor before it was posted here.

It's not like the media ran with a rumor that was originating from here. It was originating from someplace genuine, it just gained the most recognition here.

Missed by many...

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)

That sounds pretty spot-on to me. I doubt any reputable journalist would take posts from an internet message board as fact or the base for nation-wide rumor, but, I, personally have found an uncanny resemblence between Soxtalk conjecture and Chicago White Sox beat reporters when it comes to personnel moves. I mean, uncanny.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
I was hoping that spataro was actually the one injecting the roids straight into Clemens' and/or Damon's ass but obviously that was not the case.  <_>

No worries.. I'm sure that story will be surfacing soon. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Do you know something I don't Steff?  Well you know a lot I don't, but in regards to this subject  :D

It's spring J... when have you known a spring to go by without some rampant rumors...?

And with RC not starting the season.. watch if (when) he come back in July and is doing well. Holy hell will break loose on the subject.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
It's spring J... when have you known a spring to go by without some rampant rumors...?

And with RC not starting the season.. watch if (when) he come back in July and is doing well. Holy hell will break loose on the subject.

It's sad. I read that last line over and over, and had to ask Heads who it was. Because RC is officially forever engrained in my head as Rally Crede. :D

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
It's sad.  I read that last line over and over, and had to ask Heads who it was.  Because RC is officially forever engrained in my head as Rally Crede.  :D

LMAO!! :lolhitting