Soxtalk and YASNY featured in Sports Illustrated

Buehrle>Wood

Steff,

I was just saying that if some how a lawyer was able to craft a way to make Soxtalk liable for the statements of its posters, that even then they would further have to prove that the posters or Soxtalk, knew that the rumors were false.

Its the same reason when Canseco's book came out a bunch of non-lawyers started saying how Canseco was going to be sued, etc. And there was to my knowledge never even a complaint filed against him.

Its very hard for a public figure to be defamed.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
Steff,

I was just saying that if some how a lawyer was able to craft a way to make Soxtalk liable for the statements of its posters, that even then they would further have to prove that the posters or Soxtalk, knew that the rumors were false.

Its the same reason when Canseco's book came out a bunch of non-lawyers started saying how Canseco was going to be sued, etc. And there was to my knowledge never even a complaint filed against him.

It's my belief that no one brought suit against Jose because he can prove his stories.

It's also my belief that where there is smoke, there is fire.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
Steff,

It's hard, but not impossible.

Its also unlikely for a superstar to sue. When a plaintiff does sue, the defendant is afforded the opportunity to conduct discovery on the issue of truth. Truth is the ultimate defense to a libel or slander action. The defendant can use the entire power of the court, subpoena or otherwise, to investigate plaintiff in full.

To a celebrity, it probably not worth it. It may be why McGuire never actually sued anyone on any of his allegations.

That said, I do think it might be wise for the Soxtalk administrators (and posters alike) to carry a healty amount of homeowners or renters insurance policy. Most modern homeowner's policies do cover libel and slander.... Its probably not a bad safety net in case a fringe suit or two arose.

Steff,

I agree that its most likely Jose's statements were true.

The problem for a celebrity though, is even if they are untrue, they have to prove that Jose knew that they were untrue when he made the statement.

I just saw some one, I think it was Jason, post he hoped he didnt get sued.

And I wanted to say that it would be extremely unlikely give the law in that area.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
I cant even believe I didnt get a shout out from SI.  Im cancelling my subscription.

[NEERG]

Greg Walker is the bestest hitting coach in the world. :ph34r:

Timo and Willie are the best bench hitters ever, we will sorely miss them.

I love everybody. [/NEERG}

Good I think I am now covered. For once thank God I wasnt in a thread.

:ph34r:

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
It's spring J... when have you known a spring to go by without some rampant rumors...?

And with RC not starting the season.. watch if (when) he come back in July and is doing well. Holy hell will break loose on the subject.

Are you implying its not a done issue?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
I'm talking with Gage....we probably can't allow a picture of the article.

Hey what gave sports illustrated the right to lift material straight from your webpage?

Who said they could quote yasny?

Edited by AbeFroman