Soxtalk and YASNY featured in Sports Illustrated

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has our traffic exploded within the last several hours? This is awesome. You certaintly don't expect your message board to be mentioned within Sports Illustrated.

I'm surprised the legions of Yankee and Astro fans don't make their way here.

Now we can put on the beginning page, "As featured in Sports Illustrated." LOL.

EDIT: Damn you addy. Stealing my jokes. :D

Edited by Flash Tizzle

sounds like it's time for a new banner.

seriously, though, this is really great for this site. you can not buy publicity and attention like this. mention of this site in a widely read periodical is only going to direct tons of traffic this way.

i hope the servers are armed and ready.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
I am wondering how the hell SI got wind of that thread

About 8 months ago, i sat next to a guy who works for an unnamed chicago sports radio station... he told me that most of the people who worked there were familiar with, and frequently visited, WSI and Soxtalk along with a few other sites (monsters of the webway, etc.)

thats pretty much all it takes.

It's interesting to note how much influence this site had on the issue. I mean, Soxtalk couldn't have been the only message board in the past to create threads regarding steroid speculation.

Anyone want to create new rumor threads concerning Johan Santana's mysterious meeting with steroid distributers? ;)

From that thread:

Los: "If everyone can trace this rumor to this site, it better be true, or we're gonna get ripped.'

Jackie Hayes: "Disagree. I think most posters have been pretty cautious. And if the national media utters a single word based on such a flimsy source, it won't be the source that looks ridiculous. "

media members are increasingly paying attention to these kinds of boards. i have a friend who's a beat writer for a major daily and he said he checks boards regularly. he doesn't run with everything he sees, but there are things he can at least check out. frankly, if i was a beat writer i think i would not be doing my job if i wasn't checking.

that is partly what disappointed me in the article. it was nice to see the soxtalk mention, but a more key point is why is this reaching the "mainstream" press. i wish the article would have explored further how a post on a message board gets into the regular news.

to me, it is not news that some outlandish ideas are offered up on a fan web site. it is news that it would be picked up and run with by news outlets throughout the country who are supposed to be held to higher standards of accountability.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
media members are increasingly paying attention to these kinds of boards. i have a friend who's a beat writer for a major daily and he said he checks boards regularly. he doesn't run with everything he sees, but there are things he can at least check out. frankly, if i was a beat writer i think i would not be doing my job if i wasn't checking.

that is partly what disappointed me in the article. it was nice to see the soxtalk mention, but a more key point is why is this reaching the "mainstream" press. i wish the article would have explored further how a post on a message board gets into the regular news.

to me, it is not news that some outlandish ideas are offered up on a fan web site. it is news that it would be picked up and run with by news outlets throughout the country who are supposed to be held to higher standards of accountability.

I'd have loved to see mention of all the stories we've broken before the major press. From our first story (thanks to Steff and another poster) which was the Foulke/Koch deal to all the different times we scooped the world on Brandon McCarthy and other moves.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)

That isn't drama, and wouldn't sell magazines..

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 22, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
I'd have loved to see mention of all the stories we've broken before the major press.  From our first story (thanks to Steff and another poster) which was the Foulke/Koch deal to all the different times we scooped the world on Brandon McCarthy and other moves.

Because like I said above, that's not drama.

s***.. we also broke the Kenny flipping over the dinner table story.. you see that took THREE years to make the mainstream news outlets!!!! :rolly