Game Thread: Sox versus Cubs, 3/27/06, 2:00 PM

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
I really dread the game threads this year. I thought people would be a little more mellow and cool with the WS win. THis spring has showed that it won't.

i agree, not panic time yet, or even close (we gotta play a real game at least) but come now, our bullpen is a tad sketchy. if jenks comes back and spits fire again, we're gold.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
Oh no. COtts isn't going to be good this year!

By no means am I freaking out about Cotts....but he's far from a proven commodity. Just like Jenks, he could easily revert to a 5.00 ERA. As long as he has his control though, he should be fine.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
Our offense looks good, our starting pitching looks good, our bullpen is the only issue and I think that will be better than everyone is panicking about.

Thome is going to have a huge impact on the whitesox lineup this year. 

I see little to get into a bunch yet about.  Lets see how the season unravels before we start to panic.

Why so f***ing optimistic?

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
I really dread the game threads this year. I thought people would be a little more mellow and cool with the WS win. THis spring has showed that it won't.

I think people were expecting us to go undefeated in spring training and to have absolutely no weaknesses, etc.

Why is it questioning any part of the White Sox team being pessimistic? There is another team in Chicago whose fans think all their players are hall of famers, I prefer to look at it objectively and realistically. The bullpen is a huge concern. The Sox won a lot of one run games last year. If Jenks stays in his funk, and guys like Thornton and Lopez are called on to get big outs, a lot of those 1 run victories can turn to losses. The offense should be a little better, maybe giving the bullpen a little room to work with, but if Jenks pitches like he did before he joined the White Sox organization, KW is going to have to pull a few rabbits out of the hat.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)

Relax, it is no different than it was last year

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
Relax, it is no different than it was last year

Actually, it can never be worse than that slide we had in september... go back and read those game threads. Those were some depressing threads.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
Actually, it can never be worse than that slide we had in september... go back and read those game threads.  Those were some depressing threads.

Just to clarify, that wasn't a "slide", that was a "35 game period where Cleveland played .800 ball".

I agree with the post about the September Slide last year--I actually skipped two games that I had tickets to because it had become so unbearable. That was freaking brutal.

I honestly don't care what happens in Spring Training, because it says nothing.

I am worried about Jenks, though.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
Just to clarify, that wasn't a "slide", that was a "35 game period where Cleveland played .800 ball".

and the sox played somethin like 11-18 ball and had an 8 game "slide"

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 27, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
Why is it questioning any part of the White Sox team being pessimistic? There is another team in Chicago whose fans think all their players are hall of famers, I prefer to look at it objectively and realistically. The bullpen is a huge concern. The Sox won a lot of one run games last year. If Jenks stays in his funk, and guys like Thornton and Lopez are called on to get big outs, a lot of those 1 run victories can turn to losses. The offense should be a little better, maybe giving the bullpen a little room to work with, but if Jenks pitches like he did before he joined the White Sox organization, KW is going to have to pull a few rabbits out of the hat.

The bullpen is a concern. I see the starters going 7-8 innings just like Buerhle did today vrs the Cubs, but you need that closer. I like Jenks and Cotts, but Jenks is a AA pitcher that has 1/2 a season of varied success. Cotts is still learning the role. But, ST is where things are ironed out and I am hoping once opening days is here everything gells.