Sox vs. Indians - 4/5 Game Thread

Heads22

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
Konerko, Mackowiak, and AJ were all f***ing pathetic today with RISP.

I PREDICT.........later this season you will see Thome hit BEHIND Konerko in the lineup, as paulie has a konerko-esk OFF YEAR as he puts too much pressure on himself to justify his contract

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's game sucks. It looked like the Indians were giving the game away but the Sox didnt want to take it. Cleveland deserves the win today after our offense passed up too many, way too many opportunities.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
I PREDICT.........later this season you will see Thome hit BEHIND Konerko in the lineup, as paulie has a konerko-esk OFF YEAR as he puts too much pressure on himself to justify his contract

I actually think that might be a great idea. Thome isn't a ground ball hitter, and that might cut back on the DP that Konerko hits into.

That wouldn't make much sense IMO. It is quite obvious that Thome is our best hitter. He needs to bat third so he can get the most AB's and most AB's with RISP. Konerko just needs to ride out his slump. And hopefully Dye will be batting behind him soon.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
This is the type of game where Ozzie needs to remind the team that 2005 is over.  We're a great team, but there's no guarantees in sports.

i thought that's what he was doing since day one of spring training? and i'll be the first to say that if there was no rain delay, we get SWEPT

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)

Paulie has had 1 off year since he came to the Sox...2003, and that was while recovering from a bad foot injury that he suffered in late 2002 and played through during a pennant race.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
i thought that's what he was doing since day one of spring training?  and i'll be the first to say that if there was no rain delay, we get SWEPT

Sometimes saying "Hey guys 2005 is over" doesn't get through to people as well as being shown up by the Indians on our home turf.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
Sometimes saying "Hey guys 2005 is over" doesn't get through to people as well as being shown up by the Indians on our home turf.

Ding...Ding...Ding :cheers

I bet the embarassing performance by Garcia yesterday is going to make him put a little more effort into his heater in his next outing.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
I actually think that might be a great idea.  Thome isn't a ground ball hitter, and that might cut back on the DP that Konerko hits into.

I still like the idea of JT first on the OBP principle...but that all assumes PK can get his head out of the ground within the first month or so of the season.

If Ozzie wants to bunt with Iguchi btw, then Thome should be hitting 4th.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
I still like the idea of JT first on the OBP principle...but that all assumes PK can get his head out of the ground within the first month or so of the season.

The more and more I think about it, I believe that Gooch did that on his own.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)

Balta....I think it's going to take Ozzie some time to get used to the way Thome plays, and how to manage the top of the lineup. Ozzie never managed Frank when he was his dominant self, and get intentionally walked all the time. I also think it's going to take Ozzie a little while to get used to our bullpen. 3 lefties can be a tricky thing to manage. No worries yet.

Our plate discipline needs to get better. Our strikezone judgement is horrible right now.

Pods needs to stop elevating the ball, having our leadoff hitter putting the ball in the air looks great, however doesnt get him on base a whole hell of a lot.

Konerko needs to put the ball in play with authority, or they will continue to IBB Thome. I would never let Thome beat me until Konerko starts to hit again.

Hopefully Dye is healthy because he provides a stopgap right now until Kong gets going. Losing Dye and Crede out of our lineup hurts. Mack is not a 5th place hitter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)

Well if this team has to be shown this type if thing, we are in for a long season. Yes it's still early and no i'm not screaming the sky is falling. That attitude is not something that you just "snap" out of. They seem to think they can just turn it on when they want too. You can't do that in baseball.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
Balta....I think it's going to take Ozzie some time to get used to the way Thome plays, and how to manage the top of the lineup.  Ozzie never managed Frank when he was his dominant self, and get intentionally walked all the time.  I also think it's going to take Ozzie a little while to get used to our bullpen.  3 lefties can be a tricky thing to manage.  No worries yet.

It's also going to be hard for Ozzie to get adapted to the way the lineup hits if key guys at the top of the lineup don't turn it around pretty quick.

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
3 games into the season and were already saying Paulies in a slump. Good Grief he crushed one to centerfield that got held up by the wind. Relax people there are still 159 games to play,

In the spring the wind comes off the lake and the wind blows in, come June it goes out. Those will wind up in the stands in June, however June is 2 months away.

We need to string more hits together in the spring to keep the line moving. We cant waste opportunities with strikouts and weak popups when we have me in scoring position.

I can't believe how confident Mota and Wickman were to throw their pitches in the dirt with full-counts. Two key situations if Konerko and Mackowiak simply stood still they would have been on base--and I realize that's a simplistic way to look at it, but both instances were just TERRIBLE pitches. Our hitters were just eager as hell to end it and willing to swing at anything. It's as if they know our hitters are impatient and take advantage of it. Very frustrating to watch.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
I can't believe how confident Mota and Wickman were to throw their pitches in the dirt with full-counts. Two key situations if Konerko and Mackowiak simply stood still they would have been on base--and I realize that's a simplistic way to look at it, but both instances were just TERRIBLE pitches. Our hitters were just eager as hell to end it and willing to swing at anything. It's as if they know our hitters are impatient and take advantage of it. Very frustrating to watch.

The scouting report on Sox hitters is to throw 3-2 offspeed pitches. It's been that way for a few years now.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
I can't believe how confident Mota and Wickman were to throw their pitches in the dirt with full-counts. Two key situations if Konerko and Mackowiak simply stood still they would have been on base--and I realize that's a simplistic way to look at it, but both instances were just TERRIBLE pitches.

That pitch by Mota to Pauly was the best pitch of the game.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
shown up by the Indians on our home turf.

Another way to look at this series is:

Sunday: Sox feast on crappy Indians pitching in nationally-televised seaosn opener.

Tuesday: Indians feast on crappy Sox starting pitching.

Wednesday: Pitchers duel with the Indians winning in the 11th.

We lost 2/3, but I don't think that we got "shown up." We took 1/3 against a very good team, but could've easily taken 2/3. I'm more concerned about the health of Garcia and Dye right now than the result of a meaningless series in early April.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
I hope Tino Martinez improves through out the season. I wasn't too impressed with him on SportsCenter. He was just talking about the game and idk if he was nervous or what.

Chris Singleton sounds like Steve Stone compared to Tino.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
Another way to look at this series is:

Sunday:  Sox feast on crappy Indians pitching in nationally-televised seaosn opener.

Tuesday:  Indians feast on crappy Sox starting pitching.

Wednesday:  Pitchers duel with the Indians winning in the 11th.

We lost 2/3, but I don't think that we got "shown up."  We took 1/3 against a very good team, but could've easily taken 2/3.  I'm more concerned about the health of Garcia and Dye right now than the result of a meaningless series in early April.

On our home turf...after beating the crap out of these guys last year...on the days we get our rings...there's some element of being shown up in there.