AL Central Central

greasywheels121

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the Indians pitching gets worse by the day.

Mota's ERA is up to 6.14 now, and Westbrook's 5.94.

Unless they improve that aspect, they're in serious trouble no matter how good their offense is.

Unless they replace Jason Johnson and Jake Westbrook gets back to his 2004 level, I can't see the Indians winning more than 90 games, and in this division the way that we are playing, I don't think that will be enough.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 10, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
Unless they replace Jason Johnson and Jake Westbrook gets back to his 2004 level, I can't see the Indians winning more than 90 games, and in this division the way that we are playing, I don't think that will be enough.

Mediocre starting pitching + s***ty bullpen= not a contender. Unless they make over their whole pitching staff, they aren't going anywhere.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 11, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
Mediocre starting pitching + s***ty bullpen= not a contender. Unless they make over their whole pitching staff, they aren't going anywhere.

Sabathia and Lee are their best SP's no doubt. Westbrook, Byrd and Johnson are all iffy right now.

It was ALWAYS going to be very hard for them to replace the output they got from Howry, Rhodes and Riske last season. Mota is really struggling, Cabrera's been injured, they're just a mess right now.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ May 14, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
So I guess any day now the Tigers are supposed to fade away like many of you have mentioned. I'm not seeing it.

Me neither. They have 5 legit starting pitchers, a solid bullpen, and a very strong hitting team. There's no reason to think they can't contend for the title all season.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 14, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
Me neither. They have 5 legit starting pitchers, a solid bullpen, and a very strong hitting team. There's no reason to think they can't contend for the title all season.

Mike Maroth's career ERA is 4.72. This year, it's 2.55.

Nate Robertson's career ERA is 4.76. This year, it's 3.27.

Color me skeptical. These two won't be pitching on cloud nine forever...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 14, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Mike Maroth's career ERA is 4.72. This year, it's 2.55.

Nate Robertson's career ERA is 4.76. This year, it's 3.27.

Color me skeptical. These two won't be pitching on cloud nine forever...

Jose Contreras, Jon Garland. I'm sceptical too, but it's been done, and recently.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 14, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
Jose Contreras, Jon Garland. I'm sceptical too, but it's been done, and recently.

You can't compare Jose to those situations. Everyone knew Jose has some of the best stuff in the league. Most of the problems were in his head. Once he "got right" and added the arm angles, there was no reason to think he couldn't be dominant past last year.

Jon Garland I could see.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ May 14, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
You can't compare Jose to those situations. Everyone knew Jose has some of the best stuff in the league. Most of the problems were in his head. Once he "got right" and added the arm angles, there was no reason to think he couldn't be dominant past last year.

Jon Garland I could see.

Actually, I can. The others are young, Jose was adjusting to MLB. I don't see any problem.

I'm not a psychiatrist. All I see is whether they're getting the outs or not. I am proud to be part of a board where everyone is capable of reading the minutiae of a player's motivations from the break on his curveball, but, alas, I am not so gifted.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ May 14, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
Actually, I can. The others are young, Jose was adjusting to MLB. I don't see any problem.

I'm not a psychiatrist. All I see is whether they're getting the outs or not. I am proud to be part of a board where everyone is capable of reading the minutiae of a player's motivations from the break on his curveball, but, alas, I am not so gifted.

Jose has said it for awhile. No psychiatry needed.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ May 14, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
Jose has said it for awhile. No psychiatry needed.

Well, then it's definitive.

If it had been obvious that Jose was going to turn it around, there would have been no trade, nor any debate about the winner of the trade. So I have no problem putting him in with pitchers who defied the odds in a big way.