AL Central Central

greasywheels121

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
I've said that numerous times. They're not exactly the mid-90's Braves. Sabathia, Westbrook, and Lee can be pretty good for stretches, but they don't have anyone that is consistent.

Yeah I don't like Byrd or Johnson at the back end of their rotation at all. I think someone like Jeremy Sowers could be up by the end of the season to replace one of em possibly.

Offense has gotten off to a very good start though.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
We caught a huge break with Hafner going down. There staff took a hit, but there offense is a FORCE, and I would love it one of Hafner/Sizemore/Peralta/Martinez went down for an extended amount of time....

You mean Sabathia?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
Of course he did. That's what dominating pitchers do.

I'm sure if Lance Broadway were pitching against Oakland, the line would be 2IP, 6 hits, 4 ER's.

Here's the deal, Ill keep Broadway and the ring and they can keep Liriano.

I'm surprised that Lirano didn't make the rotation over Lohse or Baker. I had him as a major fantasy sleeper before that. Of course, this is the team that waited about a year longer than they should have to put Santana in the rotation too.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 04:15 AM)
Yeah I don't like Byrd or Johnson at the back end of their rotation at all. I think someone like Jeremy Sowers could be up by the end of the season to replace one of em possibly.

Offense has gotten off to a very good start though.

Byrd isn't going to be a problem. The last four seasons he's put up ERA+' of 109, 132, 110, 112. He was actually, IMO, one of the better starting pitcher signings this offseason -- the deal was something like 2 year, $12 million, right? That's pretty good for a slightly above average pitcher. I don't know how injury prone he is with that new motion and less velocity he's throwing with, but if he's healthy, he certainly won't be the one on the staff that'll hurt you.

And, Johnson will be the weak link, but he probably won't be bad enough to get replaced. I mean, I doubt Shapiro was expecting a whole lot when he signed Johnson, other than a guy to give the Tribe 190 innings at the back of the rotation, with an ERA around 4.60. He's probably just a very tiny bit better than their fifth starter of last year, Scott Elarton.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
I'm surprised that Lirano didn't make the rotation over Lohse or Baker. I had him as a major fantasy sleeper before that. Of course, this is the team that waited about a year longer than they should have to put Santana in the rotation too.

My gut feeling is that Liriano is going to be in the rotation before the All Star break. Gardenhire wants him to get his feet wet coming in from the bullpen

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
Byrd isn't going to be a problem.  The last four seasons he's put up ERA+' of 109, 132, 110, 112.  He was actually, IMO, one of the better starting pitcher signings this offseason -- the deal was something like 2 year, $12 million, right?  That's pretty good for a slightly above average pitcher.  I don't know how injury prone he is with that new motion and less velocity he's throwing with, but if he's healthy, he certainly won't be the one on the staff that'll hurt you.

And, Johnson will be the weak link, but he probably won't be bad enough to get replaced.  I mean, I doubt Shapiro was expecting a whole lot when he signed Johnson, other than a guy to give the Tribe 190 innings at the back of the rotation, with an ERA around 4.60.  He's probably just a very tiny bit better than their fifth starter of last year, Scott Elarton.

Byrd has never, NEVER made back to back 30 start seasons in his career. Last year he made 31 starts, so he has already pissed away two of his 24 (guessing) 2006 starts.

I went over this before, Johnson f***ing sucks and Elarton was better than him. Johnson had a road era of 6.66 last season.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 06:38 AM)

The Twins have made a lot of questionable roster moves this off-season, from Juan Castro starting at SS over Jason Bartlett, Batista starting at 3B when they could of had Corey Koskie for about 2M per season.

With the way Baker has started in the rotation however, we may see Liriano in the rotation sooner rather than later.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
I know this Cabrerra is supposed to be the closer of the future, but he has NOT been impressive so far. Already has two walks in the ninth.

Their bpen hasn't been very impressive as of yet. Mota impressed the hell out of me that game against us but hasn't looked that good since. Their bpen is what helped them go nuts last year, I just don't see it being very good this year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
Their bpen hasn't been very impressive as of yet.  Mota impressed the hell out of me that game against us but hasn't looked that good since.  Their bpen is what helped them go nuts last year, I just don't see it being very good this year.

He was able to pitch out of his own jams that he created. He could be the right handed version of Damaso Marte 2005. (0.00 ERA, 1.80 WHIP)

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
I really dont think they made a bad call with Howry, I dont its possible for him to do what he did last year, but it doesnt change how important he was to them last year. Riske was also pretty underrated as well.

They are going to need to mash, because there staff isnt looking that strong right now.

I think if Big mouth stays healthy he's going to be the same guy as last year to be honest. I've seen him pitch a few times this year and he's still just nailing that outside corner like it's nothing with his heater.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
I know this Cabrerra is supposed to be the closer of the future, but he has NOT been impressive so far. Already has two walks in the ninth.

He sucked in the WBC and there is something majorly off about his delivery right now. The guy has good stuff but ZERO command. He can't throw a strike to save his life right now.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 11:27 PM)
Byrd has never, NEVER made back to back 30 start seasons in his career.  Last year he made 31 starts, so he has already pissed away two of his 24 (guessing) 2006 starts.

Which is why I said:

I don't know how injury prone he is with that new motion and less velocity he's throwing with, but if he's healthy, he certainly won't be the one on the staff that'll hurt you.

I went over this before, Johnson f***ing sucks and Elarton was better than him.  Johnson had a road era of 6.66 last season.

The Jake is actually a pretty big pitchers park, too. I don't think there'll be a whole lot of drop off, if any, from Elarton to Johnson.

But, I'm rooting for Johnson to stay in that 4.75-5.00 ERA range, because that's probably not a bad enough ERA for the Tribe to promote Sowers.