Backup Outfielders and now Relievers

DBAHO

Ok this thread is going to be for backup outfielders, that could be on the 25 man roster, if Ozzie Guillen is not going to use Ross Gload in the OF again, or so Pablo Ozuna doesn't have to play LF again. Of course, this isn't likely going to happen, but I thought I'd just put it out there, and get people's thoughts on this.

Dustan Mohr - Mohr's down in Pawtucket, the AAA team of the Red Sox. Can play all 3 OF positions, and had a .274/.394/.437 season back in 2004 for the Giants. Doesn't expect to be down in AAA long;

"I don't expect to be in Pawtucket all year or for a lengthy amount of time. But that's what I'm going to do right now. I'm just going to play and see how things shake out. But I expect to be back here pretty soon."

Joey Gathright - On the bench for Tampa. Probably won't be available, unless we give up something good for him.

Luis Terrero - Was designated for assignment by the D-Backs a little while back. But it looks like the O's are gonna get him;

According to the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles are expected to announce later this week that they've signed Luis Terrero to a minor league deal.

Terrero's agent must not want him to have a chance to play in the majors this year, because no team is more stacked with outfielders than the Orioles.

Scott Hairston - Currently with the D'backs AAA team. Can play 2B, or LF or RF, IIRC. Hit .311/.384/.608 for Tucson last season.

Ryan Church - Currently in Frank Robinson's doghouse (hence why Brandon Watson is starting).

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that Pablo's Adventures in the outfield draws a thread not about him being shipped out, but Ross Gload's inevitable departure.

We gotta keep this guy around. He's spunky. And I'll tell you what. If there's one thing that wins games. It spunk. Give me 9 guys like Pablo Ozuna. I'll show you a winner. Boy.

I would trade a mediocre prospect for Dustan Mohr and send Ozuna to Charlotte. I actually like Ozuna but I said this during Spring Training -- with Mackowiak, Cintron, and Gload there is no need for Ozuna other than to serve as a pinch runner. Now that we know Ozuna stinks in LF, where else would you ever play him? I would play Cintron at SS and 2B over Ozuna and I would play Mackowiak at 3B over him. If we need a pinch runner so bad we can just use Mackowiak or Cintron. We need a right-handed outfielder who can actually play competent defense in LF. It doesn't seem like Ozzie ever wants to play Gload in the outfield unless forced to.

I have no faith in Podsednik this season. He is far too fragile. When the head trainer even says that he has to be running like a Porsche to perform properly, he's obviously injury-prone. I would honestly rather see a strict platoon of Rob Mackowiak and Dustan Mohr in LF -- Mackowiak against all righties and Mohr against all lefties. Maybe give Gload a start in LF against a righty once in awhile (probably not going to happen with Ozzie). Podsednik's speed isn't helping us much when he's on the DL or the bench anyways.

Edited by SSH2005

I would bring Sweeney or Owens up and give them a shot, especially if Pods is going to be out for awhile.

I don't think either of them is ready yet. And if we are going to use one of those guys in LF, what purpose does Ross Gload even have on this team -- to start at 1B for Konerko once every two weeks and wait for an injury to occur?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)
I love that Pablo's Adventures in the outfield draws a thread not about him being shipped out, but Ross Gload's inevitable departure.

We gotta keep this guy around. He's spunky. And I'll tell you what. If there's one thing that wins games. It spunk. Give me 9 guys like Pablo Ozuna. I'll show you a winner. Boy.

It's called the Timo Perez effect.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 02:00 AM)
Why are we replacing Gload again?  Dude rarely plays.

You just answered your own question. Listen, I've been one of Gload's biggest supporters on here and I know the guy can play but if he's just going to sit on the bench the whole time then there is just no point of having him.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
You just answered your own question.  Listen, I've been one of Gload's biggest supporters on here and I know the guy can play but if he's just going to sit on the bench the whole there is just no point of having him.

And my point all along on this has been, Gload's obviously not going to be used much at 1B or at DH, with Thome and Konerko in front of him. If he's not going to be trusted in the OF, why is he up here?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 07:17 PM)
Alright.  I thought you were implying we should trade Gload based on performance.

If there's a trade offer for Gload out there right now, in which we would get a good defensive backup outfielder, than yeah I would do that.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case right now.

Meh.

Move Dye to LF when he comes back then.

Is it that big of a deal to have a lefty in left?

The main problem is that we don't have a righty outfielder who can play decent defense. Ozuna is a butcher out there. Mackowiak is terrible against lefties. Gload is also a lefty and Ozzie doesn't seem to want to play him in the outfield anyways. So it's either Podsednik or Ozuna against lefty starters.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
Outright Gload to AAA and  bring up Sweeney.

Easy enough.

Looking at Sweeney down at Charlotte over the last couple of days, he really needs a full season down there.

And really besides him or Owens (who I also want down there playing everyday), there's not a whole lot of other options besides a trade.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 03:33 AM)
Meh.

Move Dye to LF when he comes back then.

Is it that big of a deal to have a lefty in left?

It's not a horrible idea, but it's usually not a good idea. If Sweeney had an above average arm it might work out well, but at that point it'd be more ideal to have him in right and a Dye in left and have two hand cannons that don't have to spin their body around to make throws on balls down the line. If Sweeney has no arm, they'd lose a lot in defense regardless of where they put him unless he can cover a hell of a lot of ground. Plus the Sox already have two lefties on the bench. Believe me, I'd love to see Sweeney instead of Gload, but it doesn't make sense. They lose out on his bench power and they'd just trade a lefty for a lefty when they need a right handed hitter on the bench with Mackowiak and Cintron.

Edited by BobDylan

If Kenny were to net Ryan Church somehow, I'd forgive him for all of the things I disagreed with him on during the offseason.

Well, maybe I wouldn't, but I would love to see Church in a Sox uniform. He's a great player who had a good year last year while playing in RFK, which is not something thats easily accomplished.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 8, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
If Kenny were to net Ryan Church somehow, I'd forgive him for all of the things I disagreed with him on during the offseason.

Well, maybe I wouldn't, but I would love to see Church in a Sox uniform.  He's a great player who had a good year last year while playing in RFK, which is not something thats easily accomplished.

Jim Bowden is still loooking for some pieces for his bullpen. Maybe if you offered say Sean Tracey for Ryan Church, that would be something that could be beneficial for both teams.

Church did have a .820 OPS in 102 games last season, which is quite good for a hitter who has to play half his games at RFK.

QUOTE(Fourofakind @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 01:04 AM)
Gload is the ideal bat to bring off the bench he is consistent and doesn't strike out much.  Ya he hasn't played yet.  They've played FOUR games!!

If Thome and Konerko are going to play about 150 games though, how many times will we see Gload if he's not going to play the OF?

I agree that he's an excellent bat to have off the bench, but he needs to be actually utilized first.

Edited by DBAH0

Let me get this straight. After Ozuna butchered not one, but two easy fly balls last night and turned them into extra base hits that led to runs... and Gload played out there, briefly, just fine... people are asking about replacing Gload? As opposed to Ozuna? When Gload is the better bat?

What a screwed up thread.

The whole team looked lousy on D last night anyway, not just Ozuna, but also Iguchi, Konerko, Widger... replacing Gload or Ozuna serves no purpose at this point. The team needs to get their heads back in it. And we need to play Mack and Gload as the backup OF's, and Ozuna should be relegated to 3B, PH and PR.

Just bumpin this;

Ross Gload has had 3 AB's so far, for those who are counting. With Pods still strugglin, we may still see some activity on this front (I'll include relievers as well for this post);

Jim Bowden made quite a few moves with Washington yesterday, and there might be more on the way.

But when you're boxed in, the way you improve is by releasing guys or making trades." One candidate for either fate could be left-hander Joey Eischen, who gave up five runs in just one inning of work yesterday and now has an ERA of 19.29 in five appearances. Other slow-starting players to whom the club isn't committed over the long term include shortstop Royce Clayton (.200 average in 35 at-bats), outfielder Marlon Byrd (.182 in 22 at-bats) and right-hander Ramon Ortiz (0-2, 8.18 ERA).

Ryan Church just got promoted as well. Still one to watch, but the Nats seem to have a few outfield guys who are nothing more than tweeners.

Ryan Wagner has a 4.91 ERA down at AAA at this stage. If you're going to get him cheap, now would probably be the time.