Backup Outfielders and now Relievers

DBAHO

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 05:49 AM)
Another guy, I've long had an interest in, is Scott Hairston. He's never going to make it on the D-Backs. Currently they have Gonzo, Green, Byrnes and DaVanon as outfielders, with Upton, Young, Gonzales and Quentin in the minor leagues.

He can play a little second base, but they've moved him to LF. He's not the greatest fielder out there, but he can hit. The Sox orignally drafted him in 99 as well.

Hit .311/.384/.608 in AAA in 2005 and is hitting .318/.412/.545 so far for them this season. He's too good for AAA and deserves another chance in the majors somewhere. And the D-Backs aren't asking a lot for him.

Hairston from what I have heard around here is close to getting a call to AZ and with the way Shawn Green is playing it is easy to see why batting a robust .167 and has made some little league mistakes in the RF. I would assume the Dbacks would want pitching

This is a big problem because we have no one else who can come close to hitting a competent lead-off. If anybody can take a walk on this team, you go to the head of the class and hit lead-off.

That was the problem with the Vasquz trade - at the least, we dealt a lot of depth (bullpen; CF) to fill a position that, arguably, wasn't a hole anyway.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 18, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
OK....I thought about this walking back from class today.

Kinda on this subject.

With Crede heating up......if he could hit .280 with 20 hr and 65 RBI with Gold Glove defense...do we try to ink him to a long term deal (relatively) and if so, what could we do with Fields? Would the Carlos Lee move be an option with a shift to left for Josh?

Just brainstorming here. :P

i think the sox are going to have to seriously consider it. hes even got 3 steals so far this year and i think that ozzie would rather run timo out as our DH every day than put a 3rd baseman out there who will commit 30 errors

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 08:16 AM)
i think the sox are going to have to seriously consider it.  hes even got 3 steals so far this year and i think that ozzie would rather run timo out as our DH every day than put a 3rd baseman out there who will commit 30 errors

I'm increasingly thinking he'll be dealt or will be one of our next corner outfielders. Crede would have to keep it up though.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 08:27 AM)
I love that this thread is still going. 

Heres an idea, deal Gload to the cubs for Scott Williamson.

It's scary--I was thinking the same exact thing. :ph34r:

And why not? Considering the position they're in regarding Lee's 2 month absence, and Walker's already questionable defense, Gload would be their best option. The Cubs' bullpen is solid, but you can't be too picky following the loss of an MVP caliber player.

I just wonder if Hendry can tolerate such a scenario which doesn't involve an obvious fleecing of another club. You know he's already contacted his buddies across the National League Central for help.

When Lee returns, it's not as if Gload's situation will be any different from here. Hell, Gload would likely find more opportunities as a pitch hitter.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
I love that this thread is still going. 

Heres an idea, deal Gload to the cubs for Scott Williamson.

my oh my..that is scary. We were talking about this exact same trade idea last night at a friends. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
How about Scott Williamson and Juan Pierre for Brian Anderson and Ross Gload...

...and yes I realize Juan Pierre sucks defensively and I was totally against getting him this fall... But at least he'd hit more then his weight...

What exactly did Brian do to you?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 09:39 PM)

...and yes I realize Juan Pierre sucks defensively and I was totally against getting him this fall... But at least he'd hit more then his weight...

wow are you serious?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)

...and yes I realize Juan Pierre sucks and I was totally against getting him this fall... But at least he'd hit more then his weight...

fixed

I don't understand why people even bother with Jeckle anymore. You should all try what I do, put him on ignore and just forget about him, if he seriously believes the s*** that he posts then he obviously has no business talking about baseball and if he's f***ing around and posting stupid s*** just for the hell of it, then why would you even humor him?

I'm sorry I didn't realize this was the Brian Anderson fan boy site...

At least when AROW strugged he always had that short compact swing... Brian has one of the ugliest swings this side of Juan Uribe... Brian has done nothing to show that he's going to turn the corner or improve at all... I'd love to eat crow on this but so far all Brian has proved is that he's overmatched by major league pitching...

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)

At least when AROW strugged he always had that short compact swing... Brian has one of the ugliest swings this side of Juan Uribe... Brian has done nothing to show that he's going to turn the corner or improve at all... I'd love to eat crow on this but so far all Brian has proved is that he's overmatched by major league pitching...

In 11 whole games.

It's not just me who's losing faith in him... The fact that Robbie Mack is getting so much playing time is a sign that Ozzie is losing faith in him too... In fact if Robbie Mac wasn't hitting just as s***ty as Anderson we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Anderson would of already of lost the starting job.

Edited by Jeckle2000

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)

This coming from Aaron Rowands #1 fan.

If Arow had such a short compact swing, why did sliders low and away constantly strike him out. Short compact swings dont strike out in excess of a 110ks with a low walk rate.

I loved Aaron when he was here, but lets not get crazy with how beautiful Arows swing was and how terrible and unfixable Brians is. Methinks you are judging your favorites replacement a bit too harsh.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
Watch the Phillies game right now if you have extra innings... AROW's stance helps him keep a shorter swing... No he's no Joe Dimaggio but:

AROW's swing >>> Anderson's swing

Omfg, your idea of reasonableness is admitting that he's not JOE F'N DIMAGGIO.

I am speechless. I am without speech.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 11:20 PM)

i think its more why the f*** would the cubs make that trade

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
Did you even read what I typed... If you can't agree that Rowand has a better swing then Anderson then your in some serious denial...

And if you aren't willing to give Brian more than 11 games, you're nuts.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
And if you aren't willing to give Brian more than 11 games, you're nuts.

Ok, I'll give him the games from last year too making it 24 overall. He sucks, trade him!