Game Thread - 04/14 Vazquez vs. Downs

BigSqwert

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 08:51 PM)
Fine, give him time. Just not on the Major league roster. Send him down to AAA for a month and let him work out his problems. Sure, he has TONS of potential; the game against the Mariners' King (AKA Felix Hernandez) was a show; he doesn't belong on the MLB roster at this point in time.

Also, it would be a different situation if he were atleast hitting the ball and getting out all the time, but he has tons of K's.

What other option do we have? Mackowiak is not an everyday CF. Owens and Sweeeney wouldn't have the D.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
What the hell do you guys expect Anderson to do? He's a rookie. I expected him to struggle A LOT his rookie season, with a lot of strike outs.  Not many rookies come up and automatically adjust to major league pitching.  He has a lot of potential but you have got to be patient with him.

Give the kid some time, jesus christ.

CWSOX45

Thank you for that. All things point to a 5 game winning streak. This should help buy time while the predictable Major league adjustment occurs. 2 weeks into the season and Kenny's judgement is being questioned - ridiculous.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
If the Sox had that same mentality you possess, that means that all of the young players came up through our system would be long gone. That means we wouldn't have  Robin Ventura who started off terribly as a rookie, along with guys like Crede, Garland, Cotts and plenty of others who struggled as rookies. You have to give you guys like Anderson time.  It's too early to give up on him.

Give him time in AAA. He couldn't be expected to come up with just experience in Spring Training and do well. They could have let him spend a month or two in AAA to get into it, and then call him up. I think that would have been the best choice.

Yea Griffey still hits OK. I just looked it up, 128 OPS+ last year, pretty good for a CF.

My other points stand, and I edited my post.

I'm not sold on BA, but the Sox have lots of jalopies laying around the outfield, except BA might turn into something better, the rest of them are known junkers.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)
Fine, give him time. Just not on the Major league roster. Send him down to AAA for a month and let him work out his problems. Sure, he has TONS of potential; the game against the Mariners' King (AKA Felix Hernandez) was a show; he doesn't belong on the MLB roster at this point in time.

Also, it would be a different situation if he were atleast hitting the ball and getting out all the time, but he has tons of K's.

He has nothing left to prove in AAA, and who do we replace him with on our roster? You really think Jerry Owens or Ryan Sweeney are more MLB ready than Anderson? I think not. I sure as hell don't feel comfortable with Mackowiak everyday out their in center. Anderson is here to stay.

CWSOX45

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 08:56 PM)
What would another season at AAA have done for BA? He's proven he can hit AAA pitching, and based on that the Sox brought him up.

It's not to "prove" anything. It's to give him time to get the kink out of his swing, or whatever else he is having problems with. Maybe hes having a timing problem, so let him work that out. I'm not sure in this case, I just know he has tons of K's, and its not a good thing.

Like I said, if he were making a lot of contact, hitting them right at people, or something, I wouldn't complain, but K's hurt a lot.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
If the Sox had that same mentality you possess, that means that all of the young players came up through our system would be long gone. That means we wouldn't have  Robin Ventura who started off terribly as a rookie, along with guys like Crede, Garland, Cotts and plenty of others who struggled as rookies. You have to give you guys like Anderson time.  It's too early to give up on him.

Robin Ventura's really bad stretch came early in the 1990 season. Here's his daily log for that season.

What you notice is that when Ventura went 0 for 39, he struck out only 10 times. Anderson is well past that - 12 K's in what, 27 AB's now? He's not even close. He definitely needs to sit for a while.

The problem is, as others have noted, that the Sox really don't have any true options in CF right now outside a trade.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
Robin Ventura's really bad stretch came early in the 1990 season.  Here's his daily log for that season.

What you notice is that when Ventura went 0 for 39, he struck out only 10 times.  Anderson is well past that - 12 K's in what, 27 AB's now?  He's not even close.  He definitely needs to sit for a while. 

The problem is, as others have noted, that the Sox really don't have any true options in CF right now outside a trade.

That's what I mean, Anderson is striking out way too often.