I loves me some Pods... but WTF?

3RDBASE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 1, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
By the way, if there's 1 place out there right now that can be useful to a base stealer trying to find his rhythm...it's Cleveland.  Victor Martinez hasn't thrown out a base stealer all year.

Yeah, I mean, you have to move Martinez to 1B asap if you're the Cleveland GM. The guy is an offensive monster, and at the same time, about as big of a defensive liability as you'll find out of the C slot. Ben Broussard is okay, I guess. Not exactly a long term building block. They're doing teams a favor by keeping him at 1B.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 1, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
Yeah, I mean, you have to move Martinez to 1B asap if you're the Cleveland GM.  The guy is an offensive monster, and at the same time, about as big of a defensive liability as you'll find out of the C slot.  Ben Broussard is okay, I guess.  Not exactly a long term building block.  They're doing teams a favor by keeping him at 1B.

The name Ryan Garko should answer your questions there I think.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 1, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
The name Ryan Garko should answer your questions there I think.

From what I'm reading, Garko is even worse than Martinez out of the C slot. If their long term plan is to platoon Broussard and Garko at 1B while keeping a major defensive liability behind the plate (not to mention wear and tear cutting his career short), then that is a very good thing for the Sox.

There are like a million Garkos out there. The AAA numbers look great, but he's 25 already, and he only has 1 major league at bat. Put Broussard in AAA, and he is a f***ing stud. On the ML level, he's nothing more than average.

4 steals by Pods today, 1 CS, and that CS he got to 2nd anyway on a throwing error. 2 other steals by our lineup.

I told you guys we could run on Martinez. Hopefully this starts getting Scotty into a rhythm, get him some confidence.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 1, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
From what I'm reading, Garko is even worse than Martinez out of the C slot.  If their long term plan is to platoon Broussard and Garko at 1B while keeping a major defensive liability behind the plate (not to mention wear and tear cutting his career short), then that is a very good thing for the Sox.

There are like a million Garkos out there.  The AAA numbers look great, but he's 25 already, and he only has 1 major league at bat.  Put Broussard in AAA, and he is a f***ing stud.  On the ML level, he's nothing more than average.

Well, here's an idea then. They have a hell of an offense. There are quite a few teams who could use a catcher who can hit. Or a 1st baseman who can hit. There's a solution here...if they're smart enough to try it. Garko = a nice shiny new pitcher?

From Cleveland's game wrap on MLB.Com:

When Wedge handed the ball over to reliever Brian Slocum in the sixth, more trouble ensued. Scott Podsednik got on first with a single, and Slocum couldn't seem to keep his mind off the base-stealing threat.

"[Podsednik] wasn't in the back of my mind," said Slocum, who was optioned to Triple-A Buffalo after the game to make room for Tuesday's scheduled return of C.C. Sabathia. "He was occupying my mind."

Wow, rare for a pitcher to admit it. There are times, certain match ups, where a basestealer can take over a game.

QUOTE(TLAK @ May 2, 2006 -> 06:33 AM)
From Cleveland's game wrap on MLB.Com:

Wow, rare for a pitcher to admit it.  There are times, certain match ups, where a basestealer can take over a game.

This is one spot I admire Contreras and Garcia for especially. They KNOW a guy is running on them, and they only care about the guy at the plate, because they know if they get him out, the guy on the basepaths doesn't matter. They are incredible at blocking out the distractions like that.

He is an adequate left fielder, and is one of the top 5 leadoff men in the game.... will everybody chill the hell out and be patient.... we are hardly 20 games into the season, and he is just catching fire now.

QUOTE(PaHs @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
He is an adequate left fielder, and is one of the top 5 leadoff men in the game.... will everybody chill the hell out and be patient.... we are hardly 20 games into the season, and he is just catching fire now.

Johnny Damon

Grady Sizemore

Ichiro

Ryan Freel

Chone Figgins

Curtis Granderson

Are all guys who both play OF and are far superior than Scott Podsednik as a leadoff man.

If you expand it to include guys who are about equal or play the infield, this list doubles.

I would absolutely take Pods over Granderson or Freel anyday. Granderson hasn't proven anything, and neither has Freel. Freel's highest SB total in his career is 36. Without Pods, no world series last year, no question. How many times will this guy have to prove people wrong before they believe?? Not to mention he arguably has the biggest hit in Sox history :)

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ May 2, 2006 -> 04:01 AM)
Yeah, I mean, you have to move Martinez to 1B asap if you're the Cleveland GM.  The guy is an offensive monster, and at the same time, about as big of a defensive liability as you'll find out of the C slot.  Ben Broussard is okay, I guess.  Not exactly a long term building block.  They're doing teams a favor by keeping him at 1B.

They've got Michael Aubrey down in AA or AAA who was taken pretty highly in the draft a couple of years back right?

I'd imagine they'll still stick with Martinez at C for the future still, and really have him on improving his defense and throwing arm as much as possible. But it's definitely an issue for em.

QUOTE(PaHs @ May 3, 2006 -> 05:33 AM)
I would absolutely take Pods over Granderson or Freel anyday. Granderson hasn't proven anything, and neither has Freel. Freel's highest SB total in his career is 36. Without Pods, no world series last year, no question. How many times will this guy have to prove people wrong before they believe?? Not to mention he arguably has the biggest hit in Sox history :)

Granderson is also in his 1st major league season, and could hit 20 HR's and steal 20 SB's this season. I'd take him over Pods, because you'd have him under control for 5 to 6 seasons, while Pods is a FA after this one.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 2, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
Granderson is also in his 1st major league season, and could hit 20 HR's and steal 20 SB's this season. I'd take him over Pods, because you'd have him under control for 5 to 6 seasons, while Pods is a FA after this one.

Um, no he's not. This would have been his first Arbitration-eligible year had he not been under contract. As far as I can tell we should still have him through the end of 08.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
Um, no he's not.  This would have been his first Arbitration-eligible year had he not been under contract.  As far as I can tell we should still have him through the end of 08.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox traded him or non-tendered him this coming off season. It will be interesting to see the real value the Sox place on Pod's style of play, because he's about to get expensive.

QUOTE(PaHs @ May 2, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
I would absolutely take Pods over Granderson or Freel anyday. Granderson hasn't proven anything, and neither has Freel.

Granderson had a .900 OPS at the minor league level, had an .800 OPS last year, and currently has an .824 OPS. Oh and hes got some great range in CF (though no arm to speak of)

Freel has done nothing but grind out a .370 OBP since he hit the big leagues.

I suppose those numbers pale in comparison to Pods' gaudy .345 career OBP and .730 OPS.

It amazes me that so many people have their head in the proverbial sand when it comes to Podsednik's limited skill set.

It amazes me that so many people have their head in the proverbial sand when it comes to Podsednik's limited skill set.

But dude, he is the sparkplug/ignitor/flame/tinderbox/gascan that powers the Sox offense!

Yea, Pods has a career of being a borderline starter. He found some magic in 2003 but has never been able to dublicate that--either prior or after that season.

He's a slap hitting LF. There's probably a good reason there aren't many slap hitting left fielders in MLB--because for such an easy defensive position, slap hitting is nearly worthless.

But he steals bases so that makes up for his total lack of OBP and power in the eyes of some. GMAFB.