Big Frank

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 11:45 PM)
Well because he's been great, does that work? He's on the Sox now and he's having an absolutely fantastic season, that's probably why he gets so much man love from me. As far as Frank, good for him. I honestly don't care what he does, I know that's not the popular opinion around here but I couldn't care less what Frank is doing right now.

That's where we differ, 44 - I do care how Frank does, and I am REALLY happy that he's having a great comeback year. He was the greatest offensive force ever to wear a Sox uniform, and I'll never forget the thrills he gave me.

However, I didn't think the Sox should have re-signed him, and I'm really glad they obtained Thome. I honestly thought Frank was done. A guy of his size and age with foot injuries was a bad risk as far as I was concerned. I was glad the A's gave him a shot, and he's made the most of it.

IMO, he just wasn't coming back here for a "bargain rate" contract, so things worked out as they should have.

ANY conversation about what Frank would or wouldn't have done here this year is purely speculation, but my speculation is this:

Sox without Thome and without Frank at the beginning of the season, and with a subpar Frank when he came back = PK and Dye being pitched around much more than they might have been otherwise = someone else at DH (Gload? Mackowiak? Cintron?) and therefore a slower offensive start = fighting with the Indians for 3rd place instead of competing for the Wild Card and (maybe) the Central Division title.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
He was great.....in April and May. He is nothing but a rent-a-player whose White Sox legacy looks to be that he was on the most talented White Sox team not to make the playoffs. He's an endnote in White Sox history.

I just hope that when Frank's statue is unveiled on the outfield concourse, when his number is retired, and when he is inducted in to the hall-of-fame you don't revert to being a fan of Frank's.

Oh boy. I am a Frank Thomas fan, always have been and always will be. I just really don't care what he does right now. Right now, the only 3 things I care about in baseball are the Tigers, Twins and Sox, that's it. It doesn't effect me if Frank goes 3-3 with 3 homers or 0-4 with 4k's, I couldn't care less either way.

As far as Jimmy, he's had one month with an ops under 1 and you're going to tell me that he was only great in April and May?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)
That's where we differ, 44 - I do care how Frank does, and I am REALLY happy that he's having a great comeback year. He was the greatest offensive force ever to wear a Sox uniform, and I'll never forget the thrills he gave me.

However, I didn't think the Sox should have re-signed him, and I'm really glad they obtained Thome. I honestly thought Frank was done. A guy of his size and age with foot injuries was a bad risk as far as I was concerned. I was glad the A's gave him a shot, and he's made the most of it.

IMO, he just wasn't coming back here for a "bargain rate" contract, so things worked out as they should have.

ANY conversation about what Frank would or wouldn't have done here this year is purely speculation, but my speculation is this:

Sox without Thome and without Frank at the beginning of the season, and with a subpar Frank when he came back = PK and Dye being pitched around much more than they might have been otherwise = someone else at DH (Gload? Mackowiak? Cintron?) and therefore a slower offensive start = fighting with the Indians for 3rd place instead of competing for the Wild Card and (maybe) the Central Division title.

That's cool and I know a lot of people are like that with Frank and I respect that. Like I said though, there are only 3 things on my mind when it comes to baseball now and Frank Thomas isn't one of them.

September Stats:

Frank Thomas

.395 AVG

.439 OBP

.947 SLG

1.386 OPS

7 HR

18 RBI

Ryan Howard

.559 AVG

.674 OBP

1.285 SLG

1.939 OPS

7 HR

10 RBI

Frank is doing his best to keep up with Ryan Howard this month, but frankly, I am disappointed. His OPS is only 1.386? That ain't gonna cut it. :D

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
He was great.....in April and May. He is nothing but a rent-a-player whose White Sox legacy looks to be that he was on the most talented White Sox team not to make the playoffs. He's an endnote in White Sox history.

I just hope that when Frank's statue is unveiled on the outfield concourse, when his number is retired, and when he is inducted in to the hall-of-fame you don't revert to being a fan of Frank's.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
Ummm, what?

How exactly has Thome been struggling???

August: .329/.453/.586

September: .358/.410/.581

Thome's worst month was June when he went .264/.371/.514

You must mean he was great... In April, May, July(.299/.384/.621), August, and now September.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=2604

So, out of the 5 months that have been played, Thome has been "great" in 4 of them. Yeah, he was only great in April and May.....

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:07 AM)
September Stats:

Frank Thomas

.395 AVG

.439 OBP

.947 SLG

1.386 OPS

7 HR

18 RBI

Ryan Howard

.559 AVG

.674 OBP

1.285 SLG

1.939 OPS

7 HR

10 RBI

Frank is doing his best to keep up with Ryan Howard this month, but frankly, I am disappointed. His OPS is only 1.386? That ain't gonna cut it. :D

Howard is a statistical and physical freak. What an amazing talent

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
You must mean he was great... In April, May, July(.299/.384/.621), August, and now September.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=2604

So, out of the 5 months that have been played, Thome has been "great" in 4 of them. Yeah, he was only great in April and May.....

Howard is a statistical and physical freak. What an amazing talent

10 RBIs in the month of August is hardly great.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
10 RBIs in the month of August is hardly great.

Next thing you are going to point out is his lack of triples, right? The whole of Jim Thome's season has been great, you are just jilted because Thomas is having a good season(great second half) somewhere else. It doesnt make Thome worse, things just werent working out for Thomas in Chicago, and part of that was injury and part of it was Thomas' attitude and part of it was Kenny Williams attitude.

I just dont see why the Sox are at fault for not believing that Thomas was going to bounce back from his ankle injury. The A's took a flyer on Thomas in the very last stages of Free Agency, so it wasnt as if Williams let Thomas jump into a bidding war. All of the complaining about how Thomas would have been better for this team is pure conjecture.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)
He has also had the most in the AL since the all-star break.

Thome had a great first half, Thomas has had a great second half. (Thome certainly hasn't had a terrible second half, either)

I didn't see all that much "Frank can really help us" talk in April and May.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
You didn't miss anything.

There is an eternal curiosity brought forth by this statement :

Kind of like driving past an accident on the road where the police have the road more or less shielded from the accident, you just want to slow down and take a look and find out what happened. :D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Statistics are great, but they hardly tell the entire story.

.300/.457/.713 vs. .190/.264/.405

.290/.410/.620 vs. .268/.436/.535

.264/.371/.514 vs. .270/.357/.703

.299/.384/.621 vs. .276/.413/.540

.329/.453/.586 vs. .333/.443/.516

.258/.410/.581 vs. .395/.439/.947 (One Week sample)

Those monthly stats tell me enough.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
.300/.457/.713 vs. .190/.264/.405

.290/.410/.620 vs. .268/.436/.535

.264/.371/.514 vs. .270/.357/.703

.299/.384/.621 vs. .276/.413/.540

.329/.453/.586 vs. .333/.443/.516

.258/.410/.581 vs. .395/.439/.947 (One Week sample)

Those monthly stats tell me enough.

20 RBIs since the Break vs. 49 RBIs since the break.

Thomas has more RBIs in your "one week sample" period (18) than Thome has in August and September combined (15). Which begs the question: Where have you gone Jim Thome, our city turns its lonely eyes to you?

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 05:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thomas has more RBIs in your "one week sample" period (18) than Thome has in August and September combined (15). Which begs the question: Where have you gone Jim Thome, our city turns its lonely eyes to you?

Get a clue.

RBI's involve a team effort. Dye was moved into the third spot because he is the eventual AL MVP, and how exactly is Thome supposed to knock in a guy when Pods offers nothing and Iguchi had a .310 OBP in August? Oh yeah, the #8 and 9 hitters suck too.

Comparing RBI's between two different spot orders, when one team is cold and one team is hot is really idiotic.

BA, OBP, SLG%.

Nahhhhhh let's throw that all the window and just look at RBI's.

Edited by santo=dorf

One thing that hasn't been mentioned -- and, I'm stealing this from another Sox fan at another site -- is that one guy who has probably suffered from Frank Thomas not being on the team is Juan Uribe. Last year, it just seemed like Frank had an effect on Uribe's swing. I remember reading about Uribe and Thomas being close and how Frank would do his best to keep Uribe 'on the ball', rather than the flailing we've seen this year.

I'm glad Frank is having a great year for the one team I'd root for in the AL if the Sox didn't make it. That being said, I'm also glad Thome is here. Not having Frank, or having Thome, aren't the reason(s) that we're in third place in the Central -- everyone know the real reason, and it has nothing to do with this team's offense.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)

Yet, without Thome in the first half the Sox wouldnt be where they are now, a point that you refuse to acknowledge. I certainly dont think Thomas would have been able to bring a 17 games-with-a-run streak to the table to start the season. Maybe if you were able to stick Thomas in the lineup now, he would be able to help this team, but not in the beginning of the season when the Sox needed production the most. When the Sox were building up their wins in the first half(god knows they havent piled up in the second half) Thome was the biggest part of that. I dont even hate Thomas in the least, im happy he is able to continue on with his career in such an impressive fashion after being left for dead by most of the rest of the league. But there is no denying that Thome has had a little bit better of a season as of yet, and has been much more consistent than thomas over the course of this season. They both had minor injury concerns this year and it has hampered production for the both of them.

Big Hurt sets A's record by homering in sixth straight game

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Frank Thomas homered in his sixth straight game Monday night, setting an Athletics record.

Thomas hit the first pitch he saw in the fourth inning from Minnesota starter Carlos Silva just over the wall and beyond center fielder Torii Hunter's reach, giving Oakland a 1-0 lead. It was the 36th homer and 98th RBI of the season for Thomas, making a strong comeback after ankle injuries hampered the final two of his 16 seasons with the Chicago White Sox.

The major league record for consecutive games with a home run is eight, set by Pittsburgh's Dale Long (1956), Don Mattingly of the New York Yankees (1987) and Seattle's Ken Griffey Jr. (1993). Kevin Mench connected in seven straight games for Texas earlier this season.

Thomas, who signed with Oakland for $500,000 this year, talked with the Twins about being their designated hitter, but they were concerned about the health of his foot on the Metrodome's artificial turf.

"There were still concerns that I wasn't going to play this year. We assured them that I would, but things work out for a reason," Thomas said with a big smile before the game.

Minnesota general manager Terry Ryan signed Rondell White for $2.5 million this year, and White's season has been a major disappointment. Ryan said he had a "good session" with Thomas and his agent, but a formal offer was never made.

"Obviously, Frank Thomas has done everything that you would hope he would do, coming off his injury," Ryan said. "I know people are still saying, 'How could I pass?' I made a decision and, well, this is where we're at. I'm happy that he's healthy, and I hope that he doesn't beat us too badly."

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 04:47 AM)
Could you imagine how much more then would suck if he was helping the Twins kick our ass?

1. Luis Castillo (S)

2. Nick Punto (S)

3. Joe Mauer (L)

4. Frank Thomas ®

5. Justin Morneau (L)

6. Michael Cuddyer ®

7. Torii Hunter ®

8. Jason Kubel/Lew Ford ®

9. Jason Bartlett ®

That 3-4-5-6-7 would be insane enough, but consider for a minute that they have three leadoff hitters in the 9, 1, and 2 slots.

Bartlett: .390 OBP

Punto: .370 OBP

Castillo: .350 OBP