Rumor heard during Phillies-Dodgers game...

AWhiteSoxinNJ

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Ndgt10 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
If we are going to trade an all-star like garland, we better get somebody like Carl Crawford, not Rowand.

I seriously have trouble taking any of your posts seriously as of late.

QUOTE(Ndgt10 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
If we are going to trade an all-star like garland, we better get somebody like Carl Crawford, not Rowand.

yeah, because Rowand can't win you a championship, can he? No, Crawford knows what it takes to win championships, I totally agree with you.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
I seriously have trouble taking any of your posts seriously as of late.

Im with you.

QUOTE(Ndgt10 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok Garland, we get it. You're not going to waive your no trade clause unless we get an all-star back. Don't you enjoy playing on the West Coast?

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
Garland can be traded, he would just have to agree to it. If the Sox ask for his permission to trade him and its to a place like Philly, he might accept it. I would not be suprised if Haeger and Rogo went to Philly for Rowand.

The Phillies would laugh at that offer. Rowand's playing excellent for them right now.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
The Phillies would laugh at that offer. Rowand's playing excellent for them right now.

They already have Burrell and Abreu, and two of their top five prospects are OFs (Greg Golson and Michael Bourn,) so Rowand would seem to be the most expendable. Haeger and Rogo is a solid starting offer.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 07:53 PM)
Haeger and Rogo is a solid starting offer.

It is? I don't think either guy is anywhere close to being considered a big time prospect. Why do the Phillies need Rogo? They have Howard at 1B. Rowand is the center piece of the new style of play the Phillies are going for, and Burrell/Abreu are more likely to be traded than Rowand is.

Well, the one thing I would say is that Philly currently does have the 3rd worst starting rotation ERA in the NL, so they're probably in the market for another starter, and they might be willing to sacrifice offense to do it.

But on the other hand...if I'm in their spot, I wait until Cole Hamels gets back off the DL and I get a better idea of whether or not he could give me anything before I make any moves for starting pitching.

And yeah, JG has a no trade clause. Who says he wouldn't like pitching in Philly? Anyone here personal friends with JG, or just going off press reports, like the press reports saying that Garland wasn't going to sign last season, or that he only wanted to play on the west coast?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
It is? I don't think either guy is anywhere close to being considered a big time prospect. Why do the Phillies need Rogo? They have Howard at 1B. Rowand is the center piece of the new style of play the Phillies are going for, and Burrell/Abreu are more likely to be traded than Rowand is.

Rowand is a good player, but not someone to be the center piece of the team. Howard and Utley are their center pieces. Rowand brings a hard nose, exciting brand of defense, but is a rather normal player. If they can get something for Rowand, they will undoubtedly exlore it.

If Philadelphia is trying to improve their rotation, why would they want Jon Garland? The Sox and half this board get excited when he only gives up 3 gopher balls in 6 innings. Garland can be traded, he just has to approve it. I don't see this trade happening however. I would think if Garland and Rowand were traded for each other there would be several other players switching teams as well. If the Phillies had no use for Thome, they certainly don't need Rogo. If KW could get something useful for Haeger, they should name the Executive of the Year award after him.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 3, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
I give it two years before Abreu is on the Sox.

Depending on what Sweeney does at AAA, I would not be terribly surprised if he was on the Sox next year when we deal one of our starting pitchers. Philly's been trying to dump him and part of his contract for pitching since they got their new GM