white sox and the band, RADIOHEAD

hi8is

my friends saw them play recently and before the band took the stage, they BLAIRED a sample over the speakers... it said,

"These White Sox Fans...."

the sample was looped repeatedly and became louder and more distorted....

the band then, as the sample got louder.... came out one by on and took the stage.

thats pretty freakin cool and thought you all should know, if you not a fan of radiohead or dont find this the least bit intresting... then... uhhh.... sorry. not really.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 02:53 AM)
to each his own... but your just not right... uncorrect.

i love radiohead, my favorite band...but this is seriously overlooking much more influential bands of the past 20 years...

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
i love radiohead, my favorite band...but this is seriously overlooking much more influential bands of the past 20 years...

I see you are a Slint fan, but I think the Radiohead statement might be true. I'm a huge radiohead fan, so the idea of thom yorke as a white sox fan intrigues me. With that said, I highly doubt that they are fans. I'm guessing it was for a show in chicago so they improvised something that the fans in the area would like.

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 03:30 AM)
I see you are a Slint fan, but I think the Radiohead statement might be true. I'm a huge radiohead fan, so the idea of thom yorke as a white sox fan intrigues me. With that said, I highly doubt that they are fans. I'm guessing it was for a show in chicago so they improvised something that the fans in the area would like.

how many brits are baseball fans...

probably a nice thing for the crowd tis all...

not many deploderers...

(and also slint launched post rock...gotta be somethin said for that...radiohead launched coldplay, keane, muse...oh god...bucketoyuck)

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 03:30 AM)

it was in san deigo, CA

Yo, name some influential bands Mags that you think eclipsed Radiohead. I'm interested as I'm a huge music fan.

Lets, see, that would be 1986. I was born in 83, so a bit young to remember those bands, but I remember the mid 90's well, and early 90's not so much.

Here are some more off the top of my head.

Nirvana

Radiohead

Beck

Pavement

The Smashing Pumpkins

Outkast

well, as far as influence goes...

My Bloody Valentine's Loveless was a huge influence on grunge, as well as The pixies' Doolittle...a bit rough around the edges if you don't like black francis' yelling. 20 years...thats what 86...Fugazi - The argument...

but probably big three...Slint, Nirvana, Sonic Youth.

as far as hip hop...prolly Dr. Dre and Rakim, electronic - Aphex Twin or Autechres - Confield. Radios up there but i don't think they've spawned and changed the music scene as much as other bands

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 04:11 AM)
Yo, name some influential bands Mags that you think eclipsed Radiohead. I'm interested as I'm a huge music fan.

Lets, see, that would be 1986. I was born in 83, so a bit young to remember those bands, but I remember the mid 90's well, and early 90's not so much.

Nirvana

Radiohead

Beck

Pavement

The Smashing Pumpkins

Outkast

haha, awesome...very good, i was gonna put pavement but people say weezer did more despite being affected by pavement which were influenced by the fall...i guess what it all comes down to is everyone sounds like the velvets...

I need to listen to more from "The Pixies". Interesting call about Fugazi. My initial foray into "alternative" music was through dancehall, punk, and ska-core. I found Fugazi a few years ago, tried to get into them, but failed.

I'm mostly a sucker for easy indie pop songs these days. I also enjoy "synth pop", or "glitch pop", and electronic and undie hip hop.

Pretty much I just love music, and love talking about it. Kinda like the Sox.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 04:21 AM)
I need to listen to more from "The Pixies". Interesting call about Fugazi. My initial foray into "alternative" music was through dancehall, punk, and ska-core. I found Fugazi a few years ago, tried to get into them, but failed.

I'm mostly a sucker for easy indie pop songs these days. I also enjoy "synth pop", or "glitch pop", and electronic and undie hip hop.

Pretty much I just love music, and love talking about it. Kinda like the Sox.

me too...specially when i'm stuck home on a friday night with a few beers and spiderland

10 Influential Bands since 1986:

Nirvana

The Pixies

REM

Radiohead

U2

Rage Against the Machine

A Tribe Called Quest

The Beastie Boys

Public Enemy

Metallica

I can't give Slint or My Bloody Valentine too much credit since we are only pointing to 2 albums.

Sonic Youth

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 05:30 AM)
10 Influential Bands since 1986:

Nirvana

The Pixies

REM

Radiohead

U2

Rage Against the Machine

A Tribe Called Quest

The Beastie Boys

Public Enemy

Metallica

I can't give Slint or My Bloody Valentine too much credit since we are only pointing to 2 albums.

Sonic Youth

who has rage influenced... and come on Loveless and Spiderland have inlfuenced a lot more bands then entire discographys of other bands...I can get behind your hip hop but i dont think public enemy influenced that many...i think eric b. and rakim were much more influential.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
who has rage influenced... and come on Loveless and Spiderland have inlfuenced a lot more bands then entire discographys of other bands...I can get behind your hip hop but i dont think public enemy influenced that many...i think eric b. and rakim were much more influential.

well, good or bad (i claim bad), Rage can be cited for the Rap-Metal trend that occured for about 5 years.

QUOTE(SHAFTR @ Jul 1, 2006 -> 02:03 AM)
well, good or bad (i claim bad), Rage can be cited for the Rap-Metal trend that occured for about 5 years.

The Beastie Boys, Anthrax and Public Enemy unfortunately can be blamed more for the "nu-metal" trend moreso than RATM, I believe.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
my friends saw them play recently and before the band took the stage, they BLAIRED a sample over the speakers... it said,

"These White Sox Fans...."

the sample was looped repeatedly and became louder and more distorted....

the band then, as the sample got louder.... came out one by on and took the stage.

thats pretty freakin cool and thought you all should know, if you not a fan of radiohead or dont find this the least bit intresting... then... uhhh.... sorry. not really.

Was the show your friends saw in Chicago?

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jun 30, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)

Nirvana

Radiohead

Beck

Pavement

The Smashing Pumpkins

Outkast

Outkast and Beck? Beck has one good album under his name and a bunch of bad to average ones. What the hell has Outkast ever done?

Regardless, you're missing 2 of the bigger ones: The Pixies and Oasis.