Jason Schmidt

bschmaranz

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 10:06 AM)
www.mlbtraderumors.com has a big story about it. I dont know about trading Anderson and Bmac.

I'm not sure that KW would want to deal B-Mac for a 33-year-old pitcher who is a free agent next season and will cost the Sox almost $5 million this season. I wouldn't mind him sending Vazquez over to SF, even if the Sox have to eat half of his contract, but that's probably just a pipe dream.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
I'm not sure that KW would want to deal B-Mac for a 33-year-old pitcher who is a free agent next season and will cost the Sox almost $5 million this season. I wouldn't mind him sending Vazquez over to SF, even if the Sox have to eat half of his contract, but that's probably just a pipe dream.

so instead of paying 5 million and losing bmac, youd rather pay the giants about 18 million to take vazquez and give 5 million to schmidt... so.... basicly, your rather pay 23 million dollars for 3 - 4 months of hason schmidt as a white sox starter

pure genious.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
As we discussed yesterday, yes I personally believe this is exactly what's going on.

Jim H is correct.

The year after a world series win the starters tend to be worn down and less effective. KW knows this and this is why went went and got Vazquez. There may be more going on and could be the basis of the rumors. I know I've beat this notion into the ground and have been put down but I believe that is what is happening and the rotation does need help.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
so instead of paying 5 million and losing bmac, youd rather pay the giants about 18 million to take vazquez and give 5 million to schmidt... so.... basicly, your rather pay 23 million dollars for 3 - 4 months of hason schmidt as a white sox starter

IIRC, Vazquez is only signed through '07. I don't know where you're getting that $18 million figure from.

Yes, I'd rather pay $10 million to dump Vazquez and keep McCarthy than lose McCarthy and pay $18 million to a guy who doesn't have the mental makeup to pitch effectively in the AL.

pure genious.

:huh:

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Jim H is correct.

The year after a world series win the starters tend to be worn down and less effective. KW knows this and this is why went went and got Vazquez. There may be more going on and could be the basis of the rumors. I know I've beat this notion into the ground and have been put down but I believe that is what is happening and the rotation does need help.

No reason for a beat down at all. I suspect there arms are very tired. If they get another starter maybe they will just DL a starter every 15 days, to give some of these guys some rest. its not that far fetched as long as the starter they get is very good. It certainly will be very interesting.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
No reason for a beat down at all. I suspect there arms are very tired. If they get another starter maybe they will just DL a starter every 15 days, to give some of these guys some rest. its not that far fetched as long as the starter they get is very good. It certainly will be very interesting.

If we could find another righty reliever...that would work very well with BMac as well, and would put him in the starting role he's always been in.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
If we could find another righty reliever...that would work very well with BMac as well, and would put him in the starting role he's always been in.

agreed, but name one that could have the same dramatic influence as a schmidt. I agree though in principal.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
agreed, but name one that could have the same dramatic influence as a schmidt. I agree though in principal.

If you got the Brandon McCarthy who we saw at the end of last season, he'd be giving you Schmidt and more.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
If the Giants wanted Javy and prospects I could see this move making sense because it gives us a stud pitcher for a few months while opening up a spot in the rotation for Bmac after this year.

do you think the giants would accually want that? its pretty good return but a lot of salary commitment for javy.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
do you think the giants would accually want that? its pretty good return but a lot of salary commitment for javy.

That I have no idea, I was speaking from the Sox perspective. They could be interested if they got the right prospects back, but I am unclear as to why they would deal Schmidt when they are in the raise.

Hmmm, from the N.Y Post;

An NL GM said that if a big pitcher moves, he expects it to be part of a major trade, using as an example that the Giants could deal looming free agent Jason Schmidt and a reliever to the White Sox for a package that includes a starter back, such as Freddy Garcia or Javier Vazquez.

And then the Daily Herald is reporting the B-Mac and BA for Schmidt rumor.

From today's Boston Globe:

GM Brian Sabean said at the All-Star break that the Giants are buyers in the trade market (looking for a righthanded bat) and that ace Jason Schmidt was staying put unless the team was out of it.

--If the Giants go on a prolonged losing streak, I could see Schmidt plus a reliever being moved for Garcia and some extra pieces [Haeger, Phillips, etc]. Yet they've been right around .500 all year. With that, they'll likely have a chance in the NL west. We can also hope SD reels off a 1o win streak to put distance between them and SF

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 08:00 AM)
We can also hope SD reels off a 1o win streak to put distance between them and SF

I, for one, am hoping that the Giants stay in it. We don't need KW overpaying for a few months of Schmidt, especially if any deal includes either BMac or BA.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
I, for one, am hoping that the Giants stay in it. We don't need KW overpaying for a few months of Schmidt, especially if any deal includes either BMac or BA.

Yep I don't want BA or B-Mac anyway involved in any trades whatsoever. Now if it was for Garcia and a prospect or two..............

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
Yep I don't want BA or B-Mac anyway involved in any trades whatsoever. Now if it was for Garcia and a prospect or two..............

That's what I was thinking. BA and BMac aren't going anywhere

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)

I was referring to a Garcia for Schmidt and a bullpen arm. I'd never go for trading the young players like BA or Bmac