Bullpen Level of Trust

Heads22

WITHOUT being snarky....what is your level of trust in the bullpen...rank each member from best to worst.

Jenks - still the best arm in the pen

Cotts - I still want him in there for a big out....

Thornton - A little prone to the single at times, but still tough to hit

Riske - Been fantabulous with us when throwing strikes

Mac - Rather hit or miss

Cliff - mostly miss

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:05 AM)
WITHOUT being snarky....what is your level of trust in the bullpen...rank each member from best to worst.

Mac - Rather hit or miss

Cliff - mostly miss

That.

Mac - Rather hit or miss

Cliff - mostly miss

I think you've got it about nailed.

I am becoming more and more confident in Thornton, which is nice. A lefty who can bring it in the high 90's is always nice to have, as long as he throws strikes.

Mac - Rather hit or miss

Cliff - mostly miss

Sounds pretty accurate. I'm hoping B-mac is a little more consistent in the second half. I just want one more quality right-handed reliever in the mix.

I think thats about right Heads, but I don't really want Riske in there with men on honestly, I'd rather have Thornton or Cotts in there....which leads us to the 2nd issue....who is our righty that can be thrown out there for that BIG out with men on base?

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:15 AM)
I think thats about right Heads, but I don't really want Riske in there with men on honestly, I'd rather have Thornton or Cotts in there....which leads us to the 2nd issue....who is our righty that can be thrown out there for that BIG out with men on base?

We don't have one. Which is why I think Kenny will make a move for one.

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:32 AM)
Will that guy be Mr. Roberto Hernandez??

Riske is better than Roberto, so no. Riske is a pretty solid and dependable guy in late game situations, I agree that he's not dominant but it's going to be hard to find a dominant right handed set up guy in the trade market.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:35 AM)
Riske is better than Roberto, so no. Riske is a pretty solid and dependable guy in late game situations, I agree that he's not dominant but it's going to be hard to find a dominant right handed set up guy in the trade market.

Or at least one that you aren't going to brutally pay for...I think overall Riske was an absolute steal, one of many for KW...but not sure he is that guy to go to with a tie/1 run game, men on base.

Yesterday's preformance by the pen was nothing short of spectacular.

13 IP 2 ER, and both ER were given up by Jenks in his third inning of work.

Imparticular, where the hell did Cliff Politte find that change up? That pitch had some incredible movement on it, and if he can throw it for strikes like yesterday, it doesn't matter if his FB is 91 or 96, he is going to be really hard to hit. All of the sudden, I actually want to see more of Cliff, if he is does indeed have that pitch now.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)

Imparticular, where the hell did Cliff Politte find that change up? That pitch had some incredible movement on it, and if he can throw it for strikes like yesterday, it doesn't matter if his FB is 91 or 96, he is going to be really hard to hit. All of the sudden, I actually want to see more of Cliff, if he is does indeed have that pitch now.

I still don't trust Politte and I still believe his career with the Sox is done. Yesterday's game changed nothing in my mind. If he can string some performances together, I'll change my tune. I predict he's done though.

Level of trust without snarkiness:

1. Jenks -- Proved me wrong after a poor and out of shape (even for the big guy) spring.

2.Cotts -- Doesn't possess overpowering stuff but misses enough bats and is very consistant with throwing strikes.

3.Thornton -- Didn't see this one coming, wow. Life arm, suddenly good control, what's not to like?

4. BMAC -- needs to find his A game changeup more often 'cause when he does, he's very useful for "bridge" work.

5. Riske -- Haven't seen enough to rank him higher, but has been solid so far.

6. Politte -- see 1st paragraph or summarized by : DFA Please.

The bullpen looks pretty solid right now, outside of Politte. But how many important innings will Ozzie give him? Personally, I want him only in mopup situations when the Sox are up or down by more than 5 (yes, 5) runs. In other words, he has no role on the team and should be DFA now.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)

I'd still try to avoid putting Cliff in pressure situations for a while. He had much better control than he's had in a while, and Dye bailed him out on that liner to right big time.

That changeup does give me some hope though. I don't know where it came from, but it looked pretty nasty. If he can throw that consistently without tipping it, that helps a ton. His slider has been mediocre at best, so having a solid secondary pitch like that will help him get by with less velocity on his fastball.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)

That was one of the stranger things I've seen in a while. I don't think I've seen Cliff throw a change up in his whole career with the Sox, all the sudden he comes in, in the 19th inning and throws 4 in a row to start off the ab?? Very interesting.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
That was one of the stranger things I've seen in a while. I don't think I've seen Cliff throw a change up in his whole career with the Sox, all the sudden he comes in, in the 19th inning and throws 4 in a row to start off the ab?? Very interesting.

I expect him to only use it against LH. It looked like an effective pitch against LH, but he'll still be FB-slider away to righties.