Rowand coming back???

wilmot825

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
Reading a couple of Phillie boards, there were a couple of posts saying they believed Rowand's defense is overrated. He played too deep, took bad routes,and even breaks the wrong way once in a while. Seems plausible.

Sounds like some pretty smart fans. I'm surprised there's no mention of his perfect aim in hitting the back of the pitcher's mound on every throw home.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
Reading a couple of Phillie boards, there were a couple of posts saying they believed Rowand's defense is overrated. He played too deep, took bad routes,and even breaks the wrong way once in a while. Seems plausible.

Plausible? It's fricking obvious. His grit overshadows his shortcomings.

Getting Rowand back would give the team a big boost for the 2nd half, the 3 stooges would be back, the fans would go crazy for him. However, he is not worth Vazquez and R. Mack. McCarthy just got used to adjusting to being a reliever, and it would be bad for him to have to re-adjust to being a starter. If this rumor is true, then I hope KW has a plan of getting a replacement for Vaz, such as Schmidt.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
That says for next season. Is this trade happening now or in the offseason because ARow can become a FA if he doesn't excercise his option or the Phils don't pick it up. I'm talking about this season not the 2007 season.

he becomes a FA after this year? if so then WHY are we talking about trading for him...? why not just sign him...?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
he becomes a FA after this year? if so then WHY are we talking about trading for him...? why not just sign him...?

He doesn't. He has a player option, while the team has a team option. He'll be back in Philly next year.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
He doesn't. He has a player option, while the team has a team option. He'll be back in Philly next year.

right, i'm an idiot - i didnt read the whole thang. gotcha

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
Sorry! No way would I trade Pods for Rowand. We already have our CF in Anderson. Rowand might be a better defensive LF, but what about our leadoff and base-stealing man? That to me is more important than Rowand's LF defense.

Did you read carefully?

There is no hole in centerfield. Anderson and Mackowiak are good enough offensively and defensively to maintain the position for the rest of the year.

It could be upgraded, however, it should not be a priority, and I don't see Rowand being enough of an upgrade to give up a very good(but overpaid) 5th starter as well as a great bench guy. His defense is worse than Anderson, and his offense will be about equal to Mackowiak and Anderson's for the rest of the year.

If you want to upgrade centerfield, get Brady Clark, Chone Figgins, or (*gasp*) Andruw Jones.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
So basically Anderson would be put on the bench for this season, filling out the 4th OF spot? Ya....no.

Brian has shown consistent improvement every month, and I dont think it needs to be said how much higher of a celling Anderson has than Rowand.

I do however have alot of interest in Flash,and he is my #2 target for KW to get(Lidge being #1, even though it wont happen with the Astros trying to contend) Flash would make the bullpen as strong, if not stronger than in 05. From the 7th on, having Thornton/Riske-Cotts/Flash-Jenks to shut the door is as good as anyone.

With all due respect, why do you assume Anderson has a higher ceiling than Rowand. Because Hawk tells us he does? Because Kenny Williams tells us he does? Because he had a decent year in the minors in 2005? Road sides from here to Cooperstown are strewn with the corpses of failed young players that baseball GM's have assured would be impact players. What makes you think Anderson won't join them?

I'm willing to concede that the real Brian Anderson might not be a .192 hitter. But I'm also willing to concede that he may be.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
With all due respect, why do you assume Anderson has a higher ceiling than Rowand. Because Hawk tells us he does? Because Kenny Williams tells us he does? Because he had a decent year in the minors in 2005? Road sides from here to Cooperstown are strewn with the corpses of failed young players that baseball GM's have assured would be impact players. What makes you think Anderson won't join them?

I'm willing to concede that the real Brian Anderson might not be a .192 hitter. But I'm also willing to concede that he may be.

Because Anderson has shown in the last month what he's capable with the bat, plus he's better defensively than Rowand, and he projects to be a similar player to say a Torii Hunter in his prime.

You have to remember with young players, they're not going to produce instantly like Jeff Francouer did.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)

I agree! Rowands defense may be overrated. But it is not as overrated as Andersons ceiling among soxtalk regulars.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)

Well, for 1, Brian is already a better defender than Aaron, so he really doesn't have all that far to go to surpass Aaron. Outside of his 400 or so at bats in 04', Aaron really hasn't brought alot to the table offensively.

I think it is pretty clear that unless Brian hits at this rate for the remainder of his career, he has a higher ceiling than Aaron Rowand.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Because Anderson has shown in the last month what he's capable with the bat, plus he's better defensively than Rowand, and he projects to be a similar player to say a Torii Hunter in his prime.

You have to remember with young players, they're not going to produce instantly like Jeff Francouer did.

He is 7 for 21 in July. Before officially proclaiming him "capable with the bat" I'd like to see success over a period longer than 4 or 5 games.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
He is 7 for 21 in July. Before officially proclaiming him "capable with the bat" I'd like to see success over a period longer than 4 or 5 games.

Me too...unfortunately Ozzie decides to put Mackowiak in there every other damn game.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)

WTF? Have you seen his numbers each month. He has improved in every category each month through now. I expect him to hit around that average this whole month, then improve the next. He is finally settling in.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
WTF? Have you seen his numbers each month. He has improved in every category each month through now. I expect him to hit around that average this whole month, then improve the next. He is finally settling in.

His increases each month have been so minute that they almost don't merit any consideration.

Also, you expect him to hit .333 all month and then improve on that in August? Would you like to make a friendly wager?

Edited by MSHAWKS

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
He increases each month have been so minute that they almost don't merit any consideration.

That sentence didn't even make any sense so I guess that doesn't merit any consideration as well. ;)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)

Good points. Anderson comming out was projected to be a 5 tool type player. Great D, good power, strong, accurate arm, can run, etc.. (you know where I'm going with this) He was a better minor league player, overall better player (hell Rowand was projected to be a 4th OF) If you need me to further elaborate, I'll be happy to, I got all night since I'm not working tomorrow. :)

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
His increases each month have been so minute that they almost don't merit any consideration.

Also, you expect him to hit .333 all month and then improve on that in August? Would you like to make a friendly wager?

I'm not expecting him to hit .333 the rest of this month but don't be surprised if he hits in the .275-.290+ then increase that though since that has been his current pace. ;)

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
I'm not expecting him to hit .333 the rest of this month but don't be surprised if he hits in the .275-.290+ then increase that though since that has been his current pace. ;)

I wrote that Anderson is 7 for 21 in June, which for the uninitiated is a .333 average. You replied with:

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)

So clearly you DO think he will hit .333 in June and then improve on that......being as that is what you posted about 9 minutes ago.

Edited by MSHAWKS

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
It is difficult to type coherantly when I'm nearly paralyzed thinking about how delusional you are in regards to Brian Anderson. I mean, a couple more posts and you'll be ready to hand him the batting title.

:lol: You got alot to learn kid (and if your not a kid, I apologize cause it seems you are from your post) I'm not the only fan of BA's on this site and I'll gladly back him up anyway possible. Noone said anything about him getting batting titles, hitting .300 for the season etc. But to say that Brian has show little improvement, with the bat is just foolish. I don't know if you know this but he is almost at that .200 mendoza line plateau (I know big whoop, but from where he was before till now is amazing) and has improved every single month in every category. For Brian it's basically all he can do is go up, and I'm glad he's starting to figure it out. He looks waaaaay more comfortable now, he's striking out less, and his disipline has improved (can take a walk better a week than Rowand could in a month) He's always had a decent eye, and now he's basically showing it more considering he's like 4th on the team in walks, which is good since he hasn't had as many at-bats as the other players.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
I wrote that Anderson is 7 for 21 in June, which for the uninitiated is a .333 average. You replied with:

So clearly you DO think he will hit .333 in June and then improve on that......being as that is what you posted about 9 minutes ago.

read my post again I said "around" doesn't mean he will hit that high, but it doesn't mean he couldn't eigher. He can drop off a bit, but he is improving, that is my point.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
:lol: You got alot to learn kid (and if your not a kid, I apologize cause it seems you are from your post) I'm not the only fan of BA's on this site and I'll gladly back him up anyway possible. Noone said anything about him getting batting titles, hitting .300 for the season etc. But to say that Brian has show little improvement, with the bat is just foolish. I don't know if you know this but he is almost at that .200 mendoza line plateau (I know big whoop, but from where he was before till now is amazing) and has improved every single month in every category. For Brian it's basically all he can do is go up, and I'm glad he's starting to figure it out. He looks waaaaay more comfortable now, he's striking out less, and his disipline has improved (can take a walk better a week than Rowand could in a month) He's always had a decent eye, and now he's basically showing it more considering he's like 4th on the team in walks, which is good since he hasn't had as many at-bats as the other players.

read my post again I said "around" doesn't mean he will hit that high, but it doesn't mean he couldn't eigher. He can drop off a bit, but he is improving, that is my point.

A Fan of Brian Anderson? What has Brian Anderson done in a major league uniform to make you a fan of his? Other than treat a Cubs utility infielder like a red-headed stepchild. The gains that you talk of are minimal, and if you stopped letting Hawk tell you what to think, you would realize this. And I may have a lot to learn, you're right. But it sure ain't a punk 20 year old thats going to teach me.

I should add that I hope Brian Anderson's second half causes me to eat a lot of crow. I just don't think that it will.

Edited by MSHAWKS

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
A Fan of Brian Anderson? What has Brian Anderson done in a major league uniform to make you a fan of his? Other than treat a Cubs utility infielder like a red-headed stepchild. The gains that you talk of are minimal, and if you stopped letting Hawk tell you what to think, you would realize this. And I may have a lot to learn, you're right. But it sure ain't a punk 20 year old thats going to teach me.

Hawk has nothing to do with why I like Brian. As a matter of fact, Hawk doesn't even say that much about Brian as it is. He might say something about his D every once in a while, but not too much especially since Brian doesn't play that much to begin with. I've seen him play in college, I'm watch his numbers in the minors in each level he's been at, and watching him play in the outfield (especially when your at a game) is always great. I'm not even gonna count the fact that he's very young, and actually makes the game more fun from just watching him, and when you see him smiling. When you see a kid who is a rookie (which everyone seems to forget about) look more mature out there month, after month you have to appreciate. I'm not saying I'm satisfied with his average now (who is) but to go far far down as he did, and to see that average go up to now the ".200" territory is just good to see for a rookie and also seeing the sox don't need help in the offensive category as it is makes it even more better for him not to do too much.

I should add that I hope Brian Anderson's second half causes me to eat a lot of crow. I just don't think that it will.

I'm actually glad you added this sentence. At least your not as thick in the head as I thought.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:45 PM)
Hawk has nothing to do with why I like Brian. As a matter of fact, Hawk doesn't even say that much about Brian as it is. He might say something about his D every once in a while, but not too much especially since Brian doesn't play that much to begin with. I've seen him play in college, I'm watch his numbers in the minors in each level he's been at, and watching him play in the outfield (especially when your at a game) is always great. I'm not even gonna count the fact that he's very young, and actually makes the game more fun from just watching him, and when you see him smiling. When you see a kid who is a rookie (which everyone seems to forget about) look more mature out there month, after month you have to appreciate. I'm not saying I'm satisfied with his average now (who is) but to go far far down as he did, and to see that average go up to now the ".200" territory is just good to see for a rookie and also seeing the sox don't need help in the offensive category as it is makes it even more better for him not to do too much.

I'm actually glad you added this sentence. At least your not as thick in the head as I thought.

I understand all that. And, as I said, I'm willing to acknowledge that Brian might become a decent player. I hope he does. On the other hand, there are hundreds of young players over the years with the same attributes that you pin on Brian who never panned out. Why can't the Anderson fans on this site at least admit this possibility exists with Brian? Who's being thick-headed, me or them?

Edited by MSHAWKS

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
Rumors are going around that the Phillies may deal CF Aaron Rowand back to the White Sox for pitcher Javier Vazquez and UTL player Rob Mackowiak. Then next season letting LF Scott Podsednik walk and have Rowand in left and Anderson in center with Dye holding down right. I am hoping on hope that they bring back A-Row and put him and Anderson in the lineup at the same time. Anderson is begining to hit and his defense is great. Fingers Crossed :gosox1:

That trade would be stupid IMO.........A-Row is gone lets move on! :headshake

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:54 PM)
I understand all that. And, as I said, I'm willing to acknowledge that Brian might become a decent player. I hope he does. On the other hand, there are hundreds of young players over the years with the same attributes that you pin on Brian who never panned out. Why can't the Anderson fans on this site at least admit this possibility exists with Brian? Who's being thick-headed, me or them?

I'm with you. I think Anderson will be a good ballplayer, but there is the very real possibility he could become one of the many busts that have worn a Sox uniform in my lifetime.