Sunday Yankees vs Whitesox 7/16/06 Gamethread

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
I can deny that, though. At least in this market. I can't imagine they won't be able to do better if they're willing to deal Milledge and Hughes.

If you'd like to enlighten me on whose available in this market with so many teams in contention?

Jason Schmidt isn't available unless a team is giving up a pretty damn good starting pitcher back to the Giants.

So if you guys know of any pitchers who are proven winners on the market, do tell.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
Especially seeing how most people on here probably didn't even know what it meant until recently and a lot of them still don't know what it means.

Exactly. Just letting him go with nothing in return is like burning money. Doesnt Russ Ortiz collect his paychecks from Arizona and Baltimore this year?

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
I don't care that they are seeing him pitch, they know the guy has done it and as recently as last year. Plus he's had streaks this year where he was doing it. Teams in the race would f***ing love to pick up a guy like Garcia and see what they could do and they'd give up a fortune.

For crap sakes the Drays get an upper echelon catching prospect for Mark Hendrickson and the Angels got a solid outfield prospect with some pop for Jeff Weaver. You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't think we could swing him to a team like the Mets for a top notch pitching prospect and maybe a guy like Heilman.

Yeah, Mark Hendrickson has been pitching better than Freddy at the time he was dealt. If there are GMs who will trade for Freddy based on reputation, then they should be fired. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. Freddy clearly isn't the same pitcher he was in the past. If I can see that, so can opposing scouts and GMs.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
Would you give up upper echelon prospect for Freddy? We're just as desperate for dependable starters as those teams.

If I'm the Cards, I'd give up whatever it took for Freddy. If I'm the Mets I'd trade Pelfrey for Freddy. The guy hasn't been near as bad as a lot of you think he has this year. Not saying he's been good either, but he's had runs where he's been just fine and he's still throwing innings. Sure there is a concern he's not throwing hard but I think physically he's fine.

Look at it this way, The Cards got s*** in the rotation, the Mets got 2 guys in there rotation and they both need help if they want to even think about a World Series win against any of these AL teams.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
I don't care that they are seeing him pitch, they know the guy has done it and as recently as last year. Plus he's had streaks this year where he was doing it. Teams in the race would f***ing love to pick up a guy like Garcia and see what they could do and they'd give up a fortune.

For crap sakes the Drays get an upper echelon catching prospect for Mark Hendrickson and the Angels got a solid outfield prospect with some pop for Jeff Weaver. You guys are kidding yourselves if you don't think we could swing him to a team like the Mets for a top notch pitching prospect and maybe a guy like Heilman.

You think we could get (say) Pelfrey AND Heilman? Agree to disagree on that.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
Hopefully it helps, but I'd like to see the Joe Crede banner up after the game.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please... :pray

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)

I think you are right. Even looking back to last year at the trading deadline, the rumors that circled around Schmidt were some pretty impresive packages and his velocity was down at that point while he struggled.

Teams like the Mets and the Cardinals are in desperate need of starting pitching for the playoff push and they would have to look long and hard at a pitcher like Freddy.

Leadoff walk for Pods, let's get this going

I don't mean to insult, but are you kidding? A team in a pennant race would trace FOR Garcia? Do you think a team in a pennant race would trade for a pitcher who has been nearly an automatic loss spot in the roation? No team in a race would want him. No one could risk it. You don't pick up a reclamation project and put him in your rotation for a stretch run.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
Yeah, Mark Hendrickson has been pitching better than Freddy at the time he was dealt. If there are GMs who will trade for Freddy based on reputation, then they should be fired. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. Freddy clearly isn't the same pitcher he was in the past. If I can see that, so can opposing scouts and GMs.

What about people willing to trade for Schmidt last year when he was pitching mediocre because people expected to pick him up and turn things around. Than Schmidt went on a bit of a run and obviously he was never sent.

And I can't believe your actually comparing Hendrickson to Garcia and saying Hendrickson should get more trade value. We are talking about a guy who couldn't hold Garcia's jock strap.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
I don't mean to insult, but are you kidding? A team in a pennant race would trace FOR Garcia? Do you think a team in a pennant race would trade for a pitcher who has been nearly an automatic loss spot in the roation? No team in a race would want him. No one could risk it. You don't pick up a reclamation project and put him in your rotation for a stretch run.

reclamation project, lol

apparently the DFA is already done

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
You think we could get (say) Pelfrey AND Heilman? Agree to disagree on that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please... :pray

We swing in a guy like Tracey and its a deal, imo. The Mets are desperate for another starter.

And I just want to point out, you don't throw 8 shutout innings against a team like the Cards without having some talent. Freddy's done that this year...he's had a full month with an ERA in the 3's, he throws innings and he's just 30 years old.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
Thank God the Sox offense has been on fire this season.

No kidding. Lots of good offenses fade when the pitching isnt up to par. This offense can explode against any given team at any given moment.