Sox v. Tigers, Gamethread: Contreras v. Rogers, 12:05

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm not sure how this is all Widger's fault. I realize he's ice cold at the plate and seems to always be in games we lose, but when you strand as many men on base as we have today and so far have mustered ONE run to back up your starter's two-run effort, I'd say there's plenty of blame to go around.

And yes, while I never second-guess Ozzie, I cannot fathom why in a game this important you wouldn't have your "A" team in.

It was just a matter of time for the offensive slowdown, that's why this team has to manufacture runs every now and then. The failure to move men over and for Uribe with 1 out and the bases loaded not to drive one in has cost the Sox 2 or 3 runs and most likely the game today.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Yes, I know this. And I also think that he should probably be DFA. But everyone blaming Widger for the games he starts is just foolish. Its not his fault that the rest of the team is doing badly. Its not his fault that pitchers miss their spots.

Okay, time for a multiple choice quiz:

the problem today was

a. the pitching

b. the hitting

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Okay, time for a multiple choice quiz:

the problem today was

a) the pitching

B) the hitting

Very clearly the hitting. Who's fault is it more, the guy who's sucked all year, or the players that are expected to perform, but just haven't?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
For all the talk about Detroit having it in their heads they can't beat the White Sox, I'm pretty sure they think they can now. Taking out Iguchi may be the Tigers defining play of the season. 2-7 against Boston, NY, and Detroit, is pretty pathetic and doesn't show me the White Sox can beat good teams.

The way our pitching's been lately, we probably couldnt beat the Royals either.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
Exactly. If we lose today, we move to 9-13 with Widger in the starting lineup. Which means we are 49-23 with AJ in the starting lineup.

That's a pretty freaking big difference.

So a .409 winning percentage with Widge and a .680 with AJ

hmmm

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
Farmer talking about how Crede didn't like Zumaya's celebration after the K. I'm telling you, Zumaya is the AL's Zambrano.

We cant talk about relievers overcelebrating. My boy Bobby does his little shimmy and shake when he gets a big strikeout, no matter if its a save situation or not.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
Farmer talking about how Crede didn't like Zumaya's celebration after the K. I'm telling you, Zumaya is the AL's Zambrano.

Big deal...like someone said, if you don't like it, then hit the pitch. I wish one of our players would have shown half the enthusiasm in this series as Zumaya did.

Well, if there's any good news, the starting pitching's coming somewhat around. Garland's been good, Vazquez, save for a bad slider was decent and Jose went 7 strong allowing 2 runs.

The bad news is there's absolutely no execution on offense right now. Need a bunt? They can't do it. Need a hit with runners in scoring position? Can't do it.

I understand hitting will go into a slump but I didn't know it could be this contagious save for Brian Anderson.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
I see that Zumaya has been taking classes from Carlos Zambrano.....

I don't blame him one bit. It's a big moment and Joe embarrassed himself. Acted like he's never seen a 100 mph fastball. Next time hit it.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
Exactly. If we lose today, we move to 9-13 with Widger in the starting lineup. Which means we are 49-23 with AJ in the starting lineup.

That's a pretty freaking big difference.

The one stat that gets me is he caught 5 of MB 7 losses and now two of the Counts losses

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
We cant talk about relievers overcelebrating. My boy Bobby does his little shimmy and shake when he gets a big strikeout, no matter if its a save situation or not.

I've seen the double fist pump on the FINAL out from Bobby, sure.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)
Fact is, this team doesnt have the chip on its shoulders like last years team. They cant execute like them, and they dont do the little things.

Absolutely. It's a totally different team. It's more like the 2004 Sox than the 2005 Sox. I think I'd be content if I didn't see another bunt this whole season.