Sox Acquire Alomar for Lamura, Widger DFA'd

Guest JimH

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they think so highly of him, it really makes you wonder why they ever let him go in the first place. The difference in salaries between Widger and Sandy was only $50,000 last season, and this season they were earning the same. Oh, I forgot about Ben Davis. Nevermind.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
I think it's safe to say that no one is safe on this roster right now. For some crazy reason, I think that KW's comments about forgetting about 2005 were directed at either our LF or SS.

Uribe is safe. Maybe Podsednik isn't, but there's no way Uribe is going to go.

Was the Garland-berating shown on Sportscenter?

It'll probably be on BBTN or on Sportscenter later, right?

Uh, I'd intended to post that about Garland in the Sox Catch-All, but accidentally clicked this, so I'll just leave it unless someone else decides it's better elsewhere.

I don't think one can argue the need to keep an upgrade at back up cathcer, but how much longer does Sandy Jr have and how much left to offer? We give up a prospect that I don't know much about. but reports are that he will probably make it to the bigs. Anyway it's the win now mentality and I can't argue with it. He can help the pitching staff I think.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:08 AM)

Uh, I'd intended to post that about Garland in the Sox Catch-All, but accidentally clicked this, so I'll just leave it unless someone else decides it's better elsewhere.

Yes, I saw the Garland clip again on SprotsCenter earlier. They showed a brief clip of it, and you see Dye/Thome walking closer to it in order to break it up if needed.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:08 AM)

Listening to Farmer and Singelton on XM today it sounded like Ozzie was telling Jon Garland that he din't want him hitting anyone and that the Sox needed him. If in fact Garland was going after the hitter at least he was showing support for his team. I don't think Ozzie was yelling at Garland for NOT hitting the guy. What is everyone elses take on it?

I don't think one can argue the need to keep an upgrade at back up cathcer, but how much longer does Sandy Jr have and how much left to offer? We give up a prospect that I don't know much about. but reports are that he will probably make it to the bigs. Anyway it's the win now mentality and I can't argue with it. He can help the pitching staff I think.

I hope he can help the pitching staff. I am pulling for him. One area of concern though is he's thrown out 1 of the last 31 runners trying to steal. Yes he can probably hit better than Widger so that's an upgrade I suppose but he simply cannot throw runners out anymore ... which is a big concern. Widger couldn't either, so I guess it's even.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:12 AM)
Listening to Farmer and Singelton on XM today it sounded like Ozzie was telling Jon Garland that he din't want him hitting anyone and that the Sox needed him. If in fact Garland was going after the hitter at least he was showing support for his team. I don't think Ozzie was yelling at Garland for NOT hitting the guy. What is everyone elses take on it?

Of course Garland was told to hit the batter. Any talk about it being otherwise is just trying to make it look like our pitcher wasn't ordered to throw at someone (and save face with MLB).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
This one is sort of a head scratcher, but with the comments Williams made, it sounds like there was a big push from a few of the coaches to not only make a change, but specifically get Alomar in here. Sounds like there is some behind the scenes stuff we dont really know, and probably wont find out...

I think we need to put the focus on the starting pitcher's performance, and not the backup catcher....All this stuff about lack of game preparation, maybe our catchers would look better if our starting pitching started throwing how we expected them to throw....kind of like Garland today.

There is no harm in this move, since Widger was worse than pathetic. I don't hold out much hope that Alomar is a great game caller or a competent hitter, but he can't be worse than Widger in either of these stats, or even in flailing at the running game.

On the other hand, there is some possible upside, even if it is a long shot. Our starters need to pitch to guys they can trust, and have only one way to go -- up. If Alomar can help at all in that regard, he'll be a welcome addition.

Overall, this trade shouldn't have a major impact, as we are talking about a player will will get limited at bats, and probably won't play more than once a week. Saying that, I'm just not comfortable with Alomar Jr as my backup catcher, despite how bad Widger was. Hopefully, Alomar Jr will play a lot younger for the next few months, and surprise when he does play so we'll have to just see.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
Of course Garland was told to hit the batter. Any talk about it being otherwise is just trying to make it look like our pitcher wasn't ordered to throw at someone (and save face with MLB).

Did anyone else notice the lack of enthusiasm in Garland's demeanor in the throw? Some people are saying, "Sometimes you miss, blah blah blah, he tried," but I thought it was clear in his demeanor that he wasn't trying very hard, and wouldn't mind missing.

Ok, back to the Alomar deal, I don't feel like going through 23 pages of crap... so, does anyone think that this move is made to have SA retire here and be a coach next season for the Sox? I think that is what this move sets up. I hope so, because SA is a damn fine catcher and a good baseball guy as well.

I liked SoxMachine's take on it (and no, I'm not paid to promote him):

If I were the Scott Reifert, the PR guy for the White Sox, here's how I would try to spin the trade that re-acquired Sandy Alomar Jr. in the press release:

"For five years, the Chicago White Sox have worked with The Alomar Family, LLC., to find job placement opportunities for unemployed Alomars around the globe. Today's trade, which brought Sandy Alomar Jr. to the South Side for Double-A reliever B.J. LaMura, marks the fifth time a downtrodden Alomar has found refuge with the White Sox. The Chicago White Sox and the The Alomar Family: A winning combination -- occasionally."

Nevertheless, if I were going to The Cell this week, I'd want to pack a sign that says "Enough with the Alomars, already." If somebody wants to carry this flag for me, by all means. I'll gladly post your picture.

Then he goes on to say that it'll basically be a wash. I don't agree, as I think Alomar's an upgrade, but I thought his view was funny.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:52 AM)
Did anyone else notice the lack of enthusiasm in Garland's demeanor in the throw? Some people are saying, "Sometimes you miss, blah blah blah, he tried," but I thought it was clear in his demeanor that he wasn't trying very hard, and wouldn't mind missing.

Jon Garland never shows enthusiasm on the mound. It's been something that's frustrated a lot of Sox fans over the year. Judging by where the two pitches ended up, there's no doubt that Garland tried his best to hit Kinsler in the leg.