White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

say pods is moved, is it needed to get another lead off in return? Say we are getting a big bat for the outfield...do we have an inhouse? I mean, i s'pose iguchi would be avg...i think he could be alright on OBP...but the speed would be awful. I'm just talking because i'm lonely.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(supernuke @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
Is it possible that the Sox would trade for him then sign him to a long term contract to increase his trade value when they flip him?

Any long term contract extension he gets would involve a no-trade clause which brings up a whole new set of variables.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Actually there's only a week left. Soriano would never clear waivers so August should be free of any trade speculation this year.

this is soxtalk kalapse.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)
More specifically I think it would mean that we'd be moving Pods somewhere else who I do think has value. I just don't know what the club would look for.

Young arms to restock the farm system? Or a real 4th OF that can play a solid defensive CF to give Anderson days off? Thats the only thing I could see.

Furthermore, I have a 12 page take-home final due Thursday and was being quite productive today until the Soriano stuff started to break. For the sake of my grade, something needs to get done soon!

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
say pods is moved, is it needed to get another lead off in return? Say we are getting a big bat for the outfield...do we have an inhouse? I mean, i s'pose iguchi would be avg...i think he could be alright on OBP...but the speed would be awful. I'm just talking because i'm lonely.

If we got Soriano, he would be the new leadoff hitter.

Give me this 25 man roster, and I'll have no reason to complain:

"Starting" 9:

Soriano- LF

Iguchi-2B

Thome-DH

Konerko-1B

Dye-RF

AJ-C

Crede-3B

Juan-SS

Anderson-CF

Starting 5:

Contreras

Buehrle

Garland

Freddy

Vasquez

Bullpen:

Jenks-Closer

Cotts-LH Middle Relief

Thornton- LH Set-Up

Macdougal- RH Set-Up

Riske- RH Middle Relief

McCarthy- Long Relief/Set Up/Spot Starts

Bench:

Cintron

Pablo

Mack

Widge (k.. he can go.. but nobody wants him, and we need a 2nd catcher)

Gload

Take McCarthy off that list, and I'm still a happy man. I like him, but not that much, an impact player like Soriano would make this line-up ridiculous, still with a well above average pitching staff.

Edited by PlunketChris

I think if the Sox are going to trade Pods, they should try to get a deal set up before acquiring Soriano. I would think Pods' value would decrease if other teams know we need to dump him. Who could be interested in Pods?

I would bet they have already covered this base.

doubt this is worth anything, but Harry on Mac Jurko & Harry said he just heard a report that a deal for Soriano for Pods and Vazauez was in the works.

unlikely, but if that's the deal, pull the trigger Kenny!

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:29 PM)
I think if the Sox are going to trade Pods, they should try to get a deal set up before acquiring Soriano. I would think Pods' value would decrease if other teams know we need to dump him. Who could be interested in Pods?

i mean tech. it wouldn't be a given that pods would have to leave. Isn't there still delusion around the league that pods speed can work in CF?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)
Nice of you to pat yourself on the back, but lots of people on this site have been saying for months the White Sox (KW) have no intention of trading their major league pitching.

Well, for all the ridicule I've received on this board -- from you especially -- it certainly isn't because I've made dumb calls.

Last year, I was one of the most vociferous posters against trading McCarthy. This time I'm saying it just doesn't make sense from where KW is sitting.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see KW get Soriano, as long as it's only Pods plus some combo of minor league guys. And at the end of the day, I don't think Bowden's going to get that much more than that.

QUOTE(PlunketChris @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
Give me this 25 man roster, and I'll have no reason to complain:

"Starting" 9:

Soriano- LF

Iguchi-2B

Thome-DH

Konerko-1B

Dye-RF

AJ-C

Crede-3B

Juan-SS

Anderson-CF

Starting 5:

Contreras

Buehrle

Garland

Freddy

Vasquez

Bullpen:

Jenks-Closer

Cotts-LH Middle Relief

Thornton- LH Set-Up

Macdougal- RH Set-Up

Riske- RH Middle Relief

McCarthy- Long Relief/Set Up/Spot Starts

Bench:

Cintron

Pablo

Mack

S. Alomar Jr.

Gload

Take McCarthy off that list, and I'm still a happy man. I like him, but not that much, an impact player like Soriano would make this line-up ridiculous, still with a well above average pitching staff.

FYP

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
If we got Soriano, he would be the new leadoff hitter.

i know, i was thinking more along the lines of the people saying we were moving pods to other teams.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
i mean tech. it wouldn't be a given that pods would have to leave. Isn't there still delusion around the league that pods speed can work in CF?

The delusion may be there, but certainly not in the White Sox organization.

Well, for all the ridicule I've received on this board -- from you especially -- it certainly isn't because I've made dumb calls.

Last year, I was one of the most vociferous posters against trading McCarthy. This time I'm saying it just doesn't make sense from where KW is sitting.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised to see KW get Soriano, as long as it's only Pods plus some combo of minor league guys. And at the end of the day, I don't think Bowden's going to get that much more than that.

Relax yourself. You are far from the only one who's said trading pitching doesn't make sense.

QUOTE(BoKnows @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
doubt this is worth anything, but Harry on Mac Jurko & Harry said he just heard a report that a deal for Soriano for Pods and Vazauez was in the works.

Bowden would get booted right into the Potomac for that trade. Unless it includes some high-level prospects.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
The delusion may be there, but certainly not in the White Sox organization.

yes, but the white sox aren't trading for pods. I'm saying if we got Alf and still had pods, could we not give the illusion that we still could use pods for CF and were clearing our BA problem? And then shop pods as trying to get some BP help. And besides, considering spods low contract...i still think we could get a decent return even if its dump. Maybe not a guy to help us now, but perhaps a future major leaguer

QUOTE(BoKnows @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)

about the only think I can say in that department is that Vazquez's numbers, (beyond ERA) actually aren't that bad.

I can't imagine that the market for soriano is so dry that he would resort to this deal

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:35 PM)
yes, but the white sox aren't trading for pods. I'm saying if we got Alf and still had pods, could we not give the illusion that we still could use pods for CF and were clearing our BA problem? And then shop pods as trying to get some BP help. And besides, considering spods low contract...i still think we could get a decent return even if its dump. Maybe not a guy to help us now, but perhaps a future major leaguer

I doubt we can play it off like we are using Pods in CF. We still have games to play. Pods won't set foot in CF, IMO. It's best to get a deal in place before replacing him. However, that might not be possible. We shall see.

The one thing that makes me think this isn't going to happen is that I think Soriano overvalues his services. Accordingly, he's not going to sign a deal in the next few days at any level the Sox would offer. I mean, the Sox aren't going to give him Paul Konerko money. Yet I think that's what Soriano thinks he can command.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 10:37 PM)
I can't imagine that the market for soriano is so dry that he would resort to this deal

seriously, that would be highway robbery. To me that kinda sounds like maybe the radio was shootin out a long shot just to maybe keep people listening.

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
Why bat Soriano leadoff? That's alot of wasted RBI action with the HR's and his power imho.... better to bat him second and have Iguchi, BA or Uribe in at #1... why waste his bat?

Soriano has 70 or someodd RBIs while batting leadoff for a NL team (pitcher ahead of him). I assume he feels most comfortable there. Keep him there.