New Idea for leadoff hitter next year

maggsmaggs

"you guys might call me crazy..."

I dont know, JimH, what do you think of Sweeney at the top of the lineup??

Why are you specifically asking me? If I want to respond to something I will, a prompt from you isn't needed. And what's with the quote above your question, are you trying to start something? Because if you are ... wrong move on your part.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
I think with the way Ozzie manages and if he is our manager we got to get a new speed guy to replace Pods. Carl Crawford is the perfect fit, the only question is whether we'll be able to make a deal that the Drays would have interest in.

I think we could use one of our starters to get prospects, than move some of those prospects and some of our own (not named Bmac) to land Crawford. Following that move Pods and maybe someone else for a prospect that could maybe help out our pen or be a 6th starter option.

With the freed up salary, maybe make one other move and who knows maybe Kenny goes out and moves two starters with one bringing back prospects and the other bringing back another starter.

I think you're right on in your assessment; Crawford would be absolutely perfect on this team. The one thing that I disagree with would be your reluctance to give up McCarthy in a deal to shnag Crawford. Carl is still very young with plenty of productive years ahead of him and, imo, is well worth your top pitching prospect.

You definitely know more about the Sox farm system than I do, but I really don't see a viable replacement for Pods down there.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 07:34 PM)
I think you're right on in your assessment; Crawford would be absolutely perfect on this team. The one thing that I disagree with would be your reluctance to give up McCarthy in a deal to shnag Crawford. Carl is still very young with plenty of productive years ahead of him and, imo, is well worth your top pitching prospect.

You definitely know more about the Sox farm system than I do, but I really don't see a viable replacement for Pods down there.

The key is, who would be more valuable to the current and future white sox, BMac or Crawford? IMO, Crawford would be. While BMac is a nice arm, he's not a #1 or a #2 [if BMac threw 95 mph then he could be].

IMO, finding a viable replacement for BMac is more likely and easier than finding one for a leadoff hitter with the tools [defense, speed, avg, slg] of a Crawford locked up for the next 5 some yrs.

I know it would take more than BMac. But sign Crede to a deal, and Fields and BMac would just about do it.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
The key is, who would be more valuable to the current and future white sox, BMac or Crawford? IMO, Crawford would be. While BMac is a nice arm, he's not a #1 or a #2 [if BMac threw 95 mph then he could be].

He tops out at 94.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
Maybe I should have prefaced it and said if he "consistently threw 95 mph". BMac mostly sits at 91, correct?

I'm pretty sure that the one clocking at 91 is his 2-seamer that he was working on last offseason. When he goes out with the straight 4-seamer, at least most of the times I've seen it, he pushes 93-94.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
I'm pretty sure that the one clocking at 91 is his 2-seamer that he was working on last offseason. When he goes out with the straight 4-seamer, at least most of the times I've seen it, he pushes 93-94.

IIRC, BMac himself said he threw his FB at 91 mph during an interview. The point is he is valuable. But could Crawford have more value to the sox than BMac?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 06:08 PM)

I'm sorry, but you can't just say he's not a number 1 or number 2 starter just because he doesn't throw 95.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
IIRC, BMac himself said he threw his FB at 91 mph during an interview. The point is he is valuable. But could Crawford have more value to the sox than BMac?

Perhaps, but I'm not willing to depart with McCarthy. I'll guarantee you we'll regret the decision. Think about it this way -- considering the current nature of our offense and starting pitching, is it easier to imagine ourselves without Crawford or McCarthy? Personally, I value starting pitchers over positional players. Crawford alone may be irreplaceable, but his production can be compensated across other divisions of the team. Without McCarthy's salary/production to offset this mammoth starting rotation, Williams is devoting an awful amount to a rotation yet to consistently meet expectations.

Tell me, without McCarthy, who will be available this upcoming offseason to replace Garcia or Vazquez in the rotation? I don't believe there's any doubt changes must be made. Either one of those two, perhaps another, will depart. Or how about 2008? This rotation -- which no longer attains its VAUNTED label -- can't be depended upon. Honestly, I wish Lumsden were still here so perhaps he could replace Buehlre in 2008. Not because I entirely doubt Buehrle's future, but atleast have the in-house option available.

Crawford would be ideal to replace Podsednike, but not at the price of our future starter.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

In the FA thread I basically proposed David Dellucci as a possible option. Having a very good year in Philly, has a very good OBP, can play all 3 OF's positions defensively, but he can't hit lefties just like Pods so he'd have to be platooned. Basically he's a version of Pods with less speed but better defensively with a little more pop.

I assume Gillick will try to re-sign him though.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
Perhaps, but I'm not willing to depart with McCarthy. I'll guarantee you we'll regret the decision. Think about it this way -- considering the current nature of our offense and starting pitching, is it easier to imagine ourselves without Crawford or McCarthy? Personally, I value starting pitchers over positional players. Crawford alone may be irreplaceable, but his production can be compensated across other divisions of the team. Without McCarthy's salary/production to offset this mammoth starting rotation, Williams is devoting an awful amount to a rotation yet to consistently meet expectations.

Tell me, without McCarthy, who will be available this upcoming offseason to replace Garcia or Vazquez in the rotation? I don't believe there's any doubt changes must be made. Either one of those two, perhaps another, will depart. Or how about 2008? This rotation -- which no longer attains its VAUNTED label -- can't be depended upon. Honestly, I wish Lumsden were still here so perhaps he could replace Buehlre in 2008. Not because I entirely doubt Buehrle's future, but atleast have the in-house option available.

Crawford would be ideal to replace Podsednike, but not at the price of our future starter.

You've definitely made some great points and I certainly agree that, in most cases, a #1 or #2 SP is more valuable than a fast LF. In this case, a purely hypothetical case, we've got a proven LF stud for a possible #1 or #2 starter. BMac showed us a ton of talent last season, but he also showed us some vulnerabilities (his first few starts and this year's BP stint). I think that Carl's track record, vs. Brandon's lack thereof, would push me to make a deal.

Baseball GMs must live a stressful life...

Oh, and to the original poster, I think that sticking Sweeney in the 1 hole would be entirely too much pressure for the kid. He's been good in the minors, but doesn't strike me as a guy who is, at this point, any more ML ready than Brian Anderson was when he was called up. We saw Brian's struggles, imagine those struggles in the leadoff slot. Yuck.

Edited by mmmmmbeeer

I think Kenny is going to make a real strong effort in putting this team atop the categories it lead last year -- pitching and defense. As such, I don't think Uribe is going anywhere, despite all the calls for him to be removed (in most cases for lesser options or guys with huge contracts despite minimal improvements).

So LF looks like the obvious spot to upgrade. Sweeney might just be the answer. I can't say for sure, but I'd have to think he'd be an upgrade defensively over Pods. I can't see him having any worse of an arm, and from what I remember in Spring Training, he struck me as an athletic kid. I think he'll struggle, but not as much as Anderson has this season; I'd guess a .275/.330/.400 line, which, in itself, isn't very good, but when counting defense, is an upgrade over what Pods has done this year.

And, as much as some (ehem Flash) like to beach about our lack of production from our farm system, there's a chance that next season, two-fifths of the rotation will be homegrown (Buehrle and McCarthy), along with a third of the batting order (Anderson/Crede/Fields-Sweeney). That's not half bad. I'm personally hoping that Sweeney/Anderson will be a fixture in our OF for the next seven-eight years.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 06:15 PM)
I think the best position to look for a new leadoff hitter is SS. Sure Uribe is fun to watch and all and during his streaks he can carry a team. But it would be nice to have his bat helping more often because this season most of it he has been a hole in our lineup and while still good his defensive hasnt been as good.

Furcal or bust. Uribe is not going anywhere. And honestly, I can't see why people around here get on his case so much. Maybe he hits .250, but aside from a bad week or two in the field, you don't get any better than Uribe with the leather.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 02:16 AM)
Chone Figgins, yes? Of the career .344 OBP variety?

If we're going to go after the super-utility type player, please let it be the better one, Ryan Freel.

Gotta disagree there.

However, if Freel knew how to stay sober, I'd probably agree.

If we're comparing OBP's over the past 3 seasons for LF's and SS's, here we go;

Podsednik;

04 - .313

05 - .351

06 - .345

Furcal;

04 - .345

05 - .348

06 - .352

Uribe;

04 - .327

05 - .301

06 - .271

Figgins;

04 - .350

05 - .352

06 - .333

Freel;

04 - .375

05 - .372

06 - .390

Rollins;

04 - .348

05 - .338

06 - .329

Dellucci;

04 - .342

05 - .367

06 - .374

Crawford;

04 - .331

05 - .331

06 - .349

I've suddenly jumped on the Dellucci bandwagon personally.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 12:51 AM)
I'm sorry, but you can't just say he's not a number 1 or number 2 starter just because he doesn't throw 95.

Could BMac be a #1 or a #2 SP for the sox? Possibly. There are a lot of "ifs" involved, though. If he improves his change up, if he hits his spots, if he keeps the ball down, if he stays healthy, etc. BMac's a lot like MB in that he has to have pinpoint control in order to be effective because he doesn't have poverpowering stuff. A guy who has a nasty out pitch [like a 95 mph heater, or a killer change, splitter, slider, curve etc] can get away with not having his best stuff.

What do "Baseball America" type scouts say a #1 or a #2 SP has to have in order to be classified as a top of the rotation guy? IIRC, one outstanding pitch to go along with two other above avg pitches. That's what I'm talking about. BMac probably has two above avg pitches and one avg pitch [change up].

For the record, I love Bmac. He is one of the most valuable, if not most valuable, young sox player--young in the sense that he's unproven that he hasn't gone a yr in his role as a major leaguer. I'm just arguing that getting Crawford might be more important.

I'm in agreement DBAH0. Wow, never knew what kind of OBP Delucci was putting up. Kinda funny how if you check Crawfords numbers, you know the guy that everyone on here seems to be clamoring over, its not really that impressive at all...its sub-Podsednik...which makes me sad in pants.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 06:59 AM)
Furcal or bust. Uribe is not going anywhere. And honestly, I can't see why people around here get on his case so much. Maybe he hits .250, but aside from a bad week or two in the field, you don't get any better than Uribe with the leather.

Last year id agree w/ you but so far this season his leather hasnt impressed me all that much. He still makes some good plays now and than but just in general he has not looked that great in the field this season.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 08:03 AM)
Last year id agree w/ you but so far this season his leather hasnt impressed me all that much. He still makes some good plays now and than but just in general he has not looked that great in the field this season.

When Juan is focused, I will take my chances with him. But with a lot of good shortstops, sometimes they lose focus and make errors on routine plays, something the great fielding shortstops don't do. It's great when Juan dives on the infield, gets up and throws a guy out, but then when he gets lazy and drops down and throws an error, its terrible. If Juan could focus 100%, he would be a GG, but that is his achilles heel.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 01:24 PM)
You were asking for it with your rude response.

lol just leave it alone man... if it goes any further than mods will delete thread or something. If anything just say take it to PM's.

As for Uribe... I agree when he is 100% focused his talent level is good enough to be a gold glover. But I guess you can say the same thing about Freddy.... when focused he can be a dominant pitcher. And really im sick of those guys on this team... you should be "focused" all season long not just for certain games or for 2-3 weeks at a time and than nothing for months.

Edited by SoxFan101