Official Game Thread 8/4 - Sox vs Jays 6:05

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Balta and I comment about the terrible pitch selection? You're so right though....this pitching needs to start executing better. What's your opinion of AJP behind the plate this year?

The point was, how about our pitchers pitching over the inevitable bumps in the road, whatever they might be.

And as I have been commenting ad nauseum, it's all about execution ... whether that's a position player or a pitcher. Rowand wasn't great in CF last year, how did the White Sox survive that? Not saying he was bad, but you were beating the drum about how awful his throws were and some of his other fundamentals ... namely his reads on fly balls. How did the White Sox survive?

You guessed it, pitching.

Guillen has his best IF defense in there tonite. Seems kinda appropriate for a ground ball pitcher, no?

QUOTE(zenryan @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:25 PM)
Detroit doesnt mean anything to us anymore. TB is winning 2-1

It's just something nice to see. Who knows, maybe we get a sweep and they get swept. Things still have time to get interesting.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)
Roy Halladay has to be nasty as all hell to bunt against, especially if he's expecting it. The only run I'm pissed about is the one making it 3-2 right now.

I'd rather bunt a breaking ball breaking down than a fastball. Didn't they give Mack 1 swing? They get him behind in the count and expect him to get a bunt down against a guy who probably is a top 5 pitcher in all of baseball.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
I know Halladay has thrown 80 but Garland's already at 80 himself, and he's not even through the 4th.

The bullpens are gonna decide this game. I'm fairly happy that ours just had an extra day off.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
Montero gives up a 3-run jack, Garza in line for the W.

:bang

Eh, it was inevitable one of our stellar pitching prospects would wither in the presence of true talent. They're sure as hell never going to witness a pitcher comparable to Garza pitching within their Charlotte clubhouse. Might as well soak up the moment, loss or not.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
:bang

Eh, it was inevitable one of our stellar pitching prospects would wither in the presence of true talent. They're sure as hell never going to witness a pitcher comparable to Garza pitching within their Charlotte clubhouse. Might as well give him another victory.

Our pitching prospect did well tonight. Montero will never be mistaken for one.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)
The point was, how about our pitchers pitching over the inevitable bumps in the road, whatever they might be.

And as I have been commenting ad nauseum, it's all about execution ... whether that's a position player or a pitcher. Rowand wasn't great in CF last year, how did the White Sox survive that? Not saying he was bad, but you were beating the drum about how awful his throws were and some of his other fundamentals ... namely his reads on fly balls. How did the White Sox survive?

Guillen has his best IF defense in there tonite. Seems kinda appropriate for a ground ball pitcher, no?

Rowand was overrated in CF last year. He wasn't great out there...but at least he could be counted on to catch the ball (unless Jenks was on the mound in the 9th inning :P ). I might be one of the few people to not buy into the hype of Anderson being all world on defense. As for your first comment about pitching, you are right. Unless these guys start pitching with "guts", they're going to be remembered with the other Chicago teams that won the championship one year, and then underachieved the next season.

, a slow pitch on the outside corner isn't a terrible pitch to try and bunt down the 3rd base line.

This umpire isn't good...it's no surprise, he's one of the worst in baseball. However, our hitters need to adjust to the way he's calling the game.

Yeah well, the flip side to that is, it's a better pitch to take for a ball.

Oops, that didn't happen.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:26 PM)

cmon jim, yes he's got a great IF out there. but is jon gonna get a ground ball every damn time... theres WEAK Def CF out there and its cost us this game so far. thats the bottom line. Garland has given us pretty solid pitching so far.

I love Mack. but he doesn't deserve to play this much Cf

Edited by iguchi=dank

I don't think people would think much of Jim Thome's glove work if Ozzie threw him in LF. Its the same although not quite as extreme as Mack in CF. Its stupid. How many times do you have to be burned before you quit sticking your hand in the fire?

It also would be nice if a member of the greatest rotation ever assembled would shut the opposition down when the Sox cut the deficit to 1 run.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)
Our pitching prospect did well tonight. Montero will never be mistaken for one.

My mistake for labeling Montero as such.

But you knew Garza would not leave this evenings game without dominating Charlotte's lineup and further aggrivating me. :D

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)
Yeah well, the flip side to that is, it's a better pitch to take for a ball.

Oops, that didn't happen.

That's the point I made about adjusting to the umpire thought. That pitch was actually closer to being a strike than the one he got called out on.

cmon jim, yes he's got a great IF out there. but is jon gonna get a ground ball every damn time... theres WEAK Def CF out there and its cost us this game so far. thats the bottom line. Garland has given us pretty solid pitching so far.

Yes I agree he can't get a ground ball every time. It would have been nice to get one instead of that long fly ball on the 3-2 pitch to Glaus though.