Official Game Thread 8/4 - Sox vs Jays 6:05

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
I like Scioscia too, but he isn't here Jason.

If the players can't get the job done, then the general manager needs to get new players. It's that simple.

Ask the players what they think of Guillen. That will open a lot of people's eyes.

That said, I like Razor Shines ... a lot.

I think that perceptoin with the players is starting to change, but I couldn't say that for sure. I know a couple people that aren't big Ozzie fans at all that are on the Sox 25 man roster. I can't go anymore into it, but it seems like there has been a change.

However, just cause a select few feel that way, doesn't necessarily mean the majority aren't completely with him.

And I double that on Razor Shines. He's going to be a big league manager very soon (maybe as early as next year, too bad Ozzie will be back and we won't have him). I hate saying it cause I thought Ozzie pulled the right buttons last year and I didn't mind when he was wrong when he was being agressive. This year he's not doing that.

I see no reason to ever play Mack in CF, he's not that. If Ozzie wants someone, than ask Kenny and I'm sure Kenny would have been able to find him a backup CF (we all know Kenny does all he can to get whatever Ozz asks of).

I'm of the theory that Ozzie gets away with murder right now because the majority of the fan base loves him (not necessarily the die hards, cause most of the diehards I talk to on a continuos basis are not major fans of Ozzie) and obviously we have a world series with him (also ties to the whole fan base). Most managers that did some of the things he did this year (between the "f**" comment, Garland/Tracey incidents and than the much more quiet Tracey incident and I would be hard pressed to think of any manager not named Ozzie that would still have his job).

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
Very true, and I'd like to have the 05 Iguchi back as well.

I know he's not doing as great of a job moving people over, but his numbers are almost all either identical to or better than last year. Last year 15 home runs, this year 12, last year he hit about .278 or so, this year .288, OPS .778 last year and .774 right now...he's pretty darn close to the same numbers.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
Look at the White Sox hitters, they are trying very hard to have good at bats against this guy.

the way their handling themselves at the plate gives me alot of faith as to how this game is going to go.

I'm feeling pretty confident we'll break through today, it's just a matter of jon doing his thing.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
Ok...seriously...how many times does Jermaine Dye have to save our asses this season before we give him a free pass? If there's anyone on this team who's earned one, it's JD.

FWIW, in no way was I complaining about Dye. Iguchi and PK had massive hangers in the first inning that they fouled off.

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
the way their handling themselves at the plate gives me alot of faith as to how this game is going to go.

I'm feeling pretty confident we'll break through today, it's just a matter of jon doing his thing.

61 pitches through 3.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
I know he's not doing as great of a job moving people over

That's just it, and alot of his numbers this year have been in bunches, his consistency has not been good. Seems like he is all or nothing.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
That's just it, and alot of his numbers this year have been in bunches, his consistency has not been good. Seems like he is all or nothing.

I think he's been far more consistent. Last year I can think of a lot of times where he would go into some major funks when he couldn't hit a breaking ball to save his life. He still isn't good with breaking balls, but he's gotten better and because of that he usually is capable of doing something in pretty much every game.

I'm gonna defend Fathom on this one. Mackowiak, while hitting .342, is just as regularly overmatched by good pitching as Anderson. Or when he is not overmatched, he gets 1-2 hits. On the other hand, having Mackowiak in CF gives up a guaranteed 2-3 hits per game that do not occur with Brian Anderson in Center Field. In almost every single game I can remember Mack starting in CF, I can point to a specific fly ball that Anderson would have caught that Mack did not catch which led directly to a run.

You and I could argue back and forth about the indirect part, about what pitch you throw to Glaus with a runner on 1st and 2 outs instead of a runner on 1st and 2nd with one out, but since you can't see those, it's beside the point.

What is driving us so crazy is that in exchange for 1-2 extra hits, we are giving up 1-2 extra runs. And against a dynamite pitcher like Halladay, every single run we give up makes the game harder to win.

Here's the question...so say Glaus still hits that bomb with 1 runner on base and Anderson in CF. Right now, this would be a 2-1 game, and we'd have exactly the same number of outs, and everything else would be the same. How different is that from a 3-1 lead? I'd say it's pretty damn different.

Guaranteed 2-3 hits a game? Yeah ok. I am not defending his defense but this site has made it a legend, in terms of exaggeration.

I get a big kick out of all the arm chair managers on this site who state with absolute certainty that Brian "would have gotten to x ball" and then base their arguments on that.

Look, I have been one of the biggest advocates all along for getting a 4th OF who can play great defense. A righthanded hitter. That hasn't happened. But what continues to be ignored, in terms of tonite, is you have a ground ball pitcher on the mound. A ground ball pitcher who's not getting ground balls, at least in that first inning. Now I don't expect him to be perfect, that's unrealistic. But I do expect Garland to make a better pitch on 3-2 to Glaus.

The fact is, SoxTalk pessimists blame their favorite whipping boys whenever the situation presents itself. If it were Vazquez pitching with two on, it'd be "he needs to pitch over mistakes, that's his job". When it's Garland, it's "Mackowiak sucks".

I don't know why I even bother to talk about this ... it's the same stuff day after day, regardless of whether I talk about it or not.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
I think he's been far more consistent. Last year I can think of a lot of times where he would go into some major funks when he couldn't hit a breaking ball to save his life. He still isn't good with breaking balls, but he's gotten better and because of that he usually is capable of doing something in pretty much every game.

The one interesting thing though, last year Iguchi hit .274 against lefties and .279 against righties. This year, it's .330 against righties and .223 against lefties. And since Ozzie is obsessed with the lefty-righty matchup, and subs Cintron only when we're facing a righty, it does hurt us a bit, and I can't figure out why he forgot how to hit a lefty.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
well it seems to me like he either has good games or bad games. I'd like to see a little more consistency from our #2 hitter, and he has struck out quite a bit as well. Thats what i see, but i could be wrong

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
The fact is, SoxTalk pessimists blame their favorite whipping boys whenever the situation presents itself. If it were Vazquez pitching with two on, it'd be "he needs to pitch over mistakes, that's his job". When it's Garland, it's "Mackowiak sucks".

I don't know why I even bother to talk about this ... it's the same stuff day after day, regardless of whether I talk about it or not.

Actually, I was really, really pissed at Ozzie for starting Mack the last time Vazquez was out on the mound. Having him out there instead of Anderson led directly to 2 hits and 1 run, and maybe led to Vazquez tiring out a little bit more as well.

And Mack doesn't suck. He's just not a Center Fielder.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
And Mack doesn't suck. He's just not a Center Fielder.

Exactly. If i were Mack i'd be pissed OZ keeps putting me out there. Then again it is a way for him to get in the lineup

Edited by CYGarland