Top 3 web gems in White Sox history

WhiteSoxfan1986

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
on espn they talked about how rowand leaving has really hurt the team, then saying that anderson has only done an "ok job" as a replacement

maybe they looked at his and mackowiaks stats combined or something

This team really needs more Aaron Rowand..... :fight

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
Official list:

3. Uribe WS play

2. Iguchi's play

1. Tagging out 2 at home

The commentary on Iguchi's play was absolutely genius. Somehow, they managed to squeeze in two racist stereotypes in 10 seconds. Iguchi is Japanese and therefore a ninja, and his play, again remember that Iguchi is Japanese, is "Zen-like". Even better than just assuming that the average person could get his joke, whoever it was (the new guy) said "get it because he's Japanese." Ohhhh now I get it, LOL! ESPN......YES!

QUOTE(pierard @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 06:28 AM)
The commentary on Iguchi's play was absolutely genius. Somehow, they managed to squeeze in two racist stereotypes in 10 seconds. Iguchi is Japanese and therefore a ninja, and his play, again remember that Iguchi is Japanese, is "Zen-like". Even better than just assuming that the average person could get his joke, whoever it was (the new guy) said "get it because he's Japanese." Ohhhh now I get it, LOL! ESPN......YES!

I was just about to say something about that. Disgraceful.

QUOTE(pierard @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:28 AM)
Even better than just assuming that the average person could get his joke, whoever it was (the new guy) said "get it because he's Japanese." Ohhhh now I get it, LOL! ESPN......YES!

And I'm assuming the "new guy" is Hispanic am I right? Typical.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
Official list:

3. Uribe WS play

2. Iguchi's play

1. Tagging out 2 at home

That's not cool. #2 and #3 are both easily better than #1. It's not even comparable. I would say that every single catcher in baseball can do what Fisk did, it was just a good throw by the OFer and a bad decision to send both runners.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
That's not cool. #2 and #3 are both easily better than #1. It's not even comparable. I would say that every single catcher in baseball can do what Fisk did, it was just a good throw by the OFer and a bad decision to send both runners.

It was logical for ESPN to pick a former Red Sox player making a rare yet somewhat nonspectacular play and have it top two remarkable athletic feats, one of which helped directly result in a championship.

That's the hard thing about this list... after reading about guys like Joe Jackson, Nellie Fox, Luis Aparicio etc, you know they made plays that would rival any of these we are talking about, we just don't know about them. To call this the best in history is misleading, because all we really are talking about is the past 20 years for the most part.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
oh good grief. OF COURSE any catcher can do that, but how often has it happened? It's one of the best plays you'll ever see, if not spectacular.

And can it with the "red sox" comments, please. Let it be what it is, a great WHITE SOX play.

It's BS that it got rated higher than the other two plays which were spectacular. Fisk's play wasn't spectacular, it was just odd. And Beltin' Bill's right, it has a lot to do with the fact that Fisk used to play for the Red Sox.

Someone even posted an article that said Fisk's play was actually accomplished by a few different people. How many players have thrown out a baserunner while upside-down, or made two ridiculous plays to win the WS?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
oh good grief. OF COURSE any catcher can do that, but how often has it happened? It's one of the best plays you'll ever see, if not spectacular.

And can it with the "red sox" comments, please. Let it be what it is, a great WHITE SOX play.

It was a great White Sox play and brings back great memories every time I see it on the pregame but it does not deserve to top Uribe's catch in the stands to help ice a championship.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Didnt Jose Valentin have a play where he tagged out 2 baserunners at 2b? That to me was more fun than the Fisk play. Also how is it possible that 2 of the top3 webgems in the history of our franchise are within what 20-30 games of each other.

Because, no matter how you look at it, those two plays are just unbelievable. I STILL can't figure out how the hell Iguchi got that throw off.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
Because, no matter how you look at it, those two plays are just unbelievable. I STILL can't figure out how the hell Iguchi got that throw off.

I think the Iguchi play is still a bit over-rated. He had a lot of time to make that throw and forced it kind of and part of what makes a great play is its significance in a game and that play didnt really have a huge one.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
I think the Iguchi play is still a bit over-rated. He had a lot of time to make that throw and forced it kind of and part of what makes a great play is its significance in a game and that play didnt really have a huge one.

Molina was a step from 1st base when the ball got to Konerko. He certainly didn't have time to do anything besides what he did. And it was the 9th inning in a save situation. It had a rather large significance to the game.

And how can you say it's overrated? Nobody in the history of baseball has done it.

Two things.

1 - I agree that we are looking at "modern web gems" - because of the advent of TV. There have been way better, to be sure.

2 - Yes, I agree that Fisk's play was more "odd" then "spectacular" and Uribe's catch was more of the 'spectacular" variety. But the notion of it was chosen soley because he was RED SOX property is just plain ignorant. "They only chose that play because he was a RED SOX"... PLEASE. You all have way too much conspiracy theory on the brain. It's shown in our pregame every time out, for crying out loud, so someone in the WHITE SOX organization still thinks it's a good play on its own.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
Molina was a step from 1st base when the ball got to Konerko. He certainly didn't have time to do anything besides what he did. And it was the 9th inning in a save situation. It had a rather large significance to the game.

And how can you say it's overrated? Nobody in the history of baseball has done it.

There was more than a step from Molina and it was overated in there were sox defensive plays that had a lot more significance in the past by far greater players than Iguchi that I would of liked to seen instead.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:25 AM)
Two things.

1 - I agree that we are looking at "modern web gems" - because of the advent of TV. There have been way better, to be sure.

2 - Yes, I agree that Fisk's play was more "odd" then "spectacular" and Uribe's catch was more of the 'spectacular" variety. But the notion of it was chosen soley because he was RED SOX property is just plain ignorant. "They only chose that play because he was a RED SOX"... PLEASE. You all have way too much conspiracy theory on the brain. It's shown in our pregame every time out, for crying out loud, so someone in the WHITE SOX organization still thinks it's a good play on its own.

I can see how it should be in the top 3, because it's so recognizable. But, the other two were better and the reason Fisk is number one is because he's much more famous than Iguchi and Uribe because....he played for the Red Sox.