**8/26 Game Thread! SOX vs. twins

Brian

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
Our pitching absolutely refuses to get on any kind of streak.

And I assume there's been a lot of complaining about Ozzie's terrible idea to start Mackowiak AGAIN today against JOHAN SANTANA?

More than usual, at least a few of us have pretty much had it. This is just more reason why Ozzie should be FIRED.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
Well, clearly you have to move 1 guy. Garcia or Buehrle are the obvious choices due to contracts, and I think everyone would like to dump Vazquez. I think the question is...what can you get for them?

Think about this...if we can get a stud young pitcher for Garcia or Mark through some means, that would still give us 5 good starting pitchers even if we moved 2 guys.

The ideal situation of course would be for Vazquez to grow some balls and either turn himself into a decent pitcher for us or to just give him some trading value in the offseason, but I just can't see that happening.

That would be great, but why would any team give up a major league ready stud for any of these guys?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
Our pitching absolutely refuses to get on any kind of streak.

And I assume there's been a lot of complaining about Ozzie's terrible idea to start Mackowiak AGAIN today against JOHAN SANTANA?

He got an RBI, so by my count, having Mack in there has only caused a -2 run differential.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
You're also cherry picking. Jose Contreras has been a dominant pitcher all his life in Cuba. He just keeps getting into some bad grooves here. When he followed the formula he was using in Cuba, he was dominating people. Jon Garland was a young pitcher who finally seemed to grow up and find a rhythm last year, something that does happen sometimes. Mark Buehrle is just having a terrible season.

Yes, I'm cherry picking the positives, but I think on all 3 of them, the positives strongly outweigh the negatives.

I see positives for the 2007 for every pitcher besides Garcia, even though it wouldn't shock me if he "finds" an extra 3 mph next year during his contract season.

QUOTE(G&T @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
That would be great, but why would any team give up a major league ready stud for any of these guys?

Buehrle has a ton of value, trust me.

QUOTE(G&T @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)

For Mark Buehrle? Hell, if I'm any team in the league I still give up whatever the Sox ask to get my hands on him if I can afford the contract. Garcia, maybe I give up less, but he's still a veteran pitcher with a world series ring who's going to wind up with 15+ wins again this year in one of his down years.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
I see positives for the 2007 for every pitcher besides Garcia, even though it wouldn't shock me if he "finds" an extra 3 mph next year during his contract season.

I've gained some confidence in Freddy as of late, especially because with his loss in velocity he's developed a superior changeup. So if he could find that extra 3 MPH he could come back more dominate than ever.

I wouldn't have any problem moving Jose because I think someone would give up stuff as if they were getting an ace and they may very well be. I even wouldn't have a problem moving Buehrle if the right offer came along because we are going to be due to pay him a huge chunk a year from than. That said I don't see why Buehrle couldn't turn things around.

Javy is just all over the place so who knows, we'll see what happens but it may determine things.

The more I think about it the more I don't think I'd be stunned if nearly our entire rotation stuck around, that said I wouldn't be stunned if we changed 3 starters either.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
He got an RBI, so by my count, having Mack in there has only caused a -2 run differential.

Well if we assume Anderson hits a grand slam, which I think we can, then Mack has us at -6.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
You're also cherry picking. Jose Contreras has been a dominant pitcher all his life in Cuba. He just keeps getting into some bad grooves here. When he followed the formula he was using in Cuba, he was dominating people. Jon Garland was a young pitcher who finally seemed to grow up and find a rhythm last year, something that does happen sometimes. Mark Buehrle is just having a terrible season.

Yes, I'm cherry picking the positives, but I think on all 3 of them, the positives strongly outweigh the negatives.

I agree with you about Contreras and Garland. I think they'll be solid next year. But Buehrle? He has to perform at the end of the year for me to confident he can be good again next year. I don't believe anyone can assume he'll automatically return to his pre-2006 form next season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
Seriously, put in McCarthy now, give jose some extra rest, and see if the kid can hold em. Maybe a short outing would help Jose's arm feel a little better next time out.

Ozzie hasn't done that once this year....and yet he still wonders why they all have lost velocity.