Ozzie, is it Panic time yet?

BearSox

'Yeah, I will blame myself,'' Guillen continued. ''I don't think people will have to blame me because I will blame myself. I get paid to win. I don't get paid to go through the season and the team we have, they put me on a team to win. It's not like, well, we win so many games and we don't make it. Well, we are supposed to make it.

''Is it my responsibility? Yes. Win or lose, it's always the manager's responsibility. Last year, we were winning with 'Ozzie Ball.' This year we are losing with 'Ozzie ball.' I'm the face of the ballclub and I will take the heat.''

Since taking the job three years ago, Guillen has always made his e-mail address public. He's also made it a point to read all the e-mails he's received. He admitted a few weeks ago that not only have the e-mails been pouring in, but have been more vicious than usual.

''They are already blaming it on me for putting different lineups,'' Guillen said. ''Since we got here, we never change anything. When you lose, the things amplify. We lose, we lose together. We win, we win together.''

How can you not like this guy? Great comments in Sun Times by Oz.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)

Its easy.

25%, thats about the amount that our starting 9 have played together as a unit.

Mack in center more than 1 time in a week. The player says he doesnt feel good playing there, he feels he doesnt give the team a good fit in CF. The manager then states I am playing him because change is failure.

His handling of our pitching staff

Cute quotes in the paper might move you, I am moved by a manager who makes the correct baseball decisions and gets wins.

Edited by southsideirish71

Sorry, but as painful as the second half of this season has been, Ozzie still has some slack left on my rope.

The phrase "2005 World Series Champions" still brings a smile to my face, and I'm still grateful.

I'll be disappointed if this team doesn't reach the postseason, but that's all I'll be - disappointed.

Not angry, not hateful, not lining up for Soxfest to rip anyone a new a**hole.

Everyone on this site has been crying for The McSavior to start, but the last three times he's been put in a pressure situation, he's gacked. Is that Ozzie's fault? Or is it McCarthy's?

Point is, the players aren't producing this year. They did last year. THAT is the difference. Ozzie had Timo last year, he has Rob this year. He's the same guy, the same manager. The results are different so far, and that's the difference between a great manager and a crappy one.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
Sorry, but as painful as the second half of this season has been, Ozzie still has some slack left on my rope.

The phrase "2005 World Series Champions" still brings a smile to my face, and I'm still grateful.

I'll be disappointed if this team doesn't reach the postseason, but that's all I'll be - disappointed.

Everyone on this site has been crying for The McSavior to start, but the last three times he's been put in a pressure situation, he's gacked. Is that Ozzie's fault? Or is it McCarthy's?

Point is, the players aren't producing this year. They did last year. THAT is the difference. Ozzie had Timo last year, he has Rob this year. He's the same guy, the same manager. The results are different so far, and that's the difference between a great manager and a crappy one.

The difference between this year and last year is not the manager. But the pitching staff. Our manager wasnt good last year. He made bad decisions all year long, and was lucky to have the best pitching in baseball.

I am happy that we won the WS last year, but it wasnt because of Guillen or because of some tactician move that he made. It was due to the best damn pitching in all of baseball, and a offense who was bad for most of the year suddenly getitng hot as a group.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
The difference between this year and last year is not the manager. But the pitching staff. Our manager wasnt good last year. He made bad decisions all year long, and was lucky to have the best pitching in baseball.

I am happy that we won the WS last year, but it wasnt because of Guillen or because of some tactician move that he made. It was due to the best damn pitching in all of baseball, and a offense who was bad for most of the year suddenly getitng hot as a group.

Exactly my point.

The Ozzie anger is misdirected in my opinion.

He's the same manager he was last year.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
Exactly my point.

The Ozzie anger is misdirected in my opinion.

He's the same manager he was last year.

And last year I felt he was a piss poor manager as well. The man has some serious flaws when it comes to his managerial techniques but the worst part is he's far too stubborn to ever learn from his mistakes.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
And last year I felt he was a piss poor manager as well. The man has some serious flaws when it comes to his managerial techniques but the worst part is he's far too stubborn to ever learn from his mistakes.

The point of history is to learn from our mistakes, not to take nothing away from them and be doomed to repeat them.

Ozzie didn't listen in history class.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)

Fair enough, but I don't recall many "Ozzie is a piss poor manager" threads last October.

Results cover any blemishes, is all I'm saying.

That's why I'm not jumping all over Ozzie this year - because whatever he was doing worked, or appeared to work, and he's the same guy, doing the same things, as he was last year.

I'm holding the players responsible for the poorer results this year, just as I praised the players for the results last year.

It just seems wrong to me to piss on Ozzie for the rotation sucking, the offense sh!tting its pants more often than not, and the bullpen not getting the job done (except for Jenks, Thornton and MacDougal).

Sure, there are things I'd like to see him do (such as forgetting that Cotts and Riske are on the team), but the players are the ones not getting it done lately.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
Fair enough, but I don't recall many "Ozzie is a piss poor manager" threads last October.

Results cover any blemishes, is all I'm saying.

That's why I'm not jumping all over Ozzie this year - because whatever he was doing worked, or appeared to work, and he's the same guy, doing the same things, as he was last year.

I'm holding the players responsible for the poorer results this year, just as I praised the players for the results last year.

It just seems wrong to me to piss on Ozzie for the rotation sucking, the offense sh!tting its pants more often than not, and the bullpen not getting the job done (except for Jenks, Thornton and MacDougal).

Sure, there are things I'd like to see him do (such as forgetting that Cotts and Riske are on the team), but the players are the ones not getting it done lately.

I'm not blaiming Ozzie in full for this team's suckiness, I will however get all over him for the dumb s*** he does over and over even though it NEVER works and only puts his team and players in a position to fail.

So in conclusion, not ALL his fault, not even the majority his fault but he hasn't exactly helped his case with the s*** he's been pulling this year. Also, last year was last year this is a whole new season, he's not getting a free pass to f*** with this team just because the team he managed won the World Series last year.

Because he's a poor manager and he's been hurting this team. It's great for him to take the blame for the Sox losing. But I'd much rather he manage well and help the team win. Sometimes he says the right things to the press, and often he doesn't. After just about every loss this season, Ozzie's response has been "*Yawn* Oh well, these things happen." Losses have become no big deal to him. Unsurprisingly, losses have become no big deal to the team. They show no intensity, no fire, no sense of urgency. You have to put that on Ozzie. If a manager can't motivate a team that is in a playoff chase, what good is he? He needs to lead by example. He needs to act like each of these games is life or death. Ozzie looks bored in the dugout. When we played the Twins last, Ozzie nearly fell asleep in the dugout and the team followed suit, while the Twins were pumped like it was a playoff series. Ozzie, do your f***ing job.

Not great by any stretch, but "piss poor" is an exaggeration...

"Piss poor" is an exaggeration? What adjectives would you use to describe a manager who:

1. Can't motivate his team in a playoff chase.

2. Doesn't know when to play regulars and when to rest them.

3. Doesn't know when to pull a starting pitcher and when to leave him in.

4. Doesn't have the first clue how to handle a bullpen.

(and these are just some highlights of the horror that is Ozzie Guillen, the Manager)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
The point of history is to learn from our mistakes, not to take nothing away from them and be doomed to repeat them.

Ozzie didn't listen in history class.

The point is to learn, not just from failure. How many people learn from their success? It worked last year, why change?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 02:30 PM)

The thing is, aren't there a lot of managers out there who have poor in game managerial techniques? Look at Terry Francona for instance. Even Ron Gardenhire who a lot of posters here think is a GREAT manager, gets criticised by Twinkies fans a lot, for example when Jackass Jones played for Minny, he wasn't platooned even though he was terrible against lefties.

Ozzie's main positive is to keep the clubhouse loose etc. That'll be extremely important in this upcoming month.

It's not Ozzie's fault Jenks just didn't have a good outing today, I thought he managed quite well actually.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 07:21 AM)
The point is to learn, not just from failure. How many people learn from their success? It worked last year, why change?

Because this is a TOTALLY different team, perhaps some of the things he did last year worked for that team and are not working for this team because they do not play baseball the same way this year as they did last year, he also has a different cast of characters to work with this year. He has to learn how to taylor to his team's needs and not be so god damn stubborn. What was his reasoning for continuing to use Mackowiak in centerfield even though it's costing the team runs and games? He's been doing it all year, why would he stop platooning Mack now? What the hell kind of logic is that? it didn't work early in the year, it didn't work midway through the year and it's not working now, instead of being stubborn and refusing to change his line of thought on the subject perhaps he could learn from this mistake he has made and stop putting corner OF in CF.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 08:02 AM)
If by panicing, you mean put a consistent lineup out there for the next four weeks, then by all means, panic. It's time to pick your horses and let them run.

Ozzie said himself that if he started playing Anderson everyday and did not put Mackowiak out there 1-2 times a series that it would be a sign of panicing. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a Mackowiak/Anderson platoon for the rest of the season, he wouldn't want his team to begin panicing when they see Brian Anderson in CF everyday.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)

possibly the best post I've read on this board.

I have my questions here and there about Ozzie but I agree.

How can we even start to evaluate his managing when the pitching has been so volatile this year?

If the team's built around pitching and the pitching's not happening, I'm not sure how you out-manage that.

Now if the pitchers were having a 2005 year and we were still blowing games like last night or KC... maybe then we'd all be singing the same tune.

Ozzie's strengths as a manager are not in his on-the-field decisionmaking moves or tactical prowess. He is average, at best, perhaps at times even patient to a flaw. However, Ozzie is a masterful deflector of external pressure and shields his players from the microscope of the Chicago media, which can be as destructive as it is critical. He keeps his clubhouse in a loose atmosphere while still commanding respect and retaining complete control of the ballclub. He is a loose cannon and speaks before thinking what he speaks, which will likely be his undoing ultimately. Ozzie's biggest flaw is that he is too emotionally involved in this club, and those emotions are getting in the way of objective decisionmaking on the field. Regardless ofwhat he does from here on out, I will never forget that it was HE who sat at the helm when Chicago's championship drought was quenched, whether it was because of him or in spite of him.