Official NFL Thread

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
Of course you would, why wouldnt you pick a Patriots tandem that isnt anywhere close to as effective as the Bears.

Dillon 812 yards

Maroney 745 yards

T Jones 1210 yards

Benson 647 yards

TJ and Benson statistically are better runners than the Saints backs. Bush obviously does alot more things than most backs and will improve over time, but regardless, the Bears backs right now are better runners.

ah the boston fan, how cute.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All 3 of the teams have basically the same formula, each team just uses the backs differently.

Big Back:

Duece, Benson, Dillon

Flex Back:

Maroney, Jones, Bush

The only difference is that the Bears have a younger big back and an older fast back. If Jones was younger you would see him catching more passes, and doing more things to warrant his 40mil contract. Because Benson is the higher paid player the Bears are not going to tailor their offense to Jones like the Saints are doing with BUsh, and they are not grooming him like the Pats are doing with Maroney.

At this stage in all of their respective careers you have to put the Saints/Bears tandem at the top, with Pats behind because Dillon is already at the stage where RB's start to decline. Of the Saints and Bears I think that the Bears RB's are better right now as both of them are still in their "prime" where as Bush is a rookie.

Stats aside I believe that this year the Bears have the best tandem, Bush will really improve by next year so things may change. But at this point in his career he will make some bad decisions based on his overall athleticism. Im not so sure that if the Saints are in a passing down that I would be 100% confident in Bush pass protecting.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
Meh, I agree with you that Rex doesn't deserve that INT in his stats, but I simply don't see that being worth it. Numbers can matter in the NFL, but it's no where close to where they are in baseball. So I never see it being debated.

Plus you have to factor the fact that QB's will throw balls that should be picked but get dropped so I think it all evens out in the end.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)
You were approved. Join us in the game thread next week...that goes for everyone!

Perhaps I'm the only one like this but for football (unlike baseball) I can't be distracted by things like laptops and game threads and such, I tend to do a lot of gestating, punching and screaming, the game needs my full attention. Baseball on the other hand I can just sit back with my laptop and bulls*** in a game thread about how s***ty the Sox are playing. I'm weird like that.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 07:54 PM)
I tend to do a lot of gestating, punching and screaming, the game needs my full attention.

Amen.

So I attempted to jump an office chair after Tank Johnson's sack which apparently brought me within less than an inch of a ceiling beam that would have surely knocked me out. God bless football.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
who else is already sick of hearing all the heartwarming stories about the Saints season

They have to do that to make up for the lack of actual help the entire area received after and during the hurricane.

"if we talk about them enough on ESPN, they will forget their houses floated away."

New Orleans has desperately needed something and the team has been a light of inspiration for a lot of people. The place is still a dump, but at the least, the city is not abandoned, and the city does stand tall in some area. There's nothing at all wrong with mentioning what the team has been for the city everytime the team is on the air. I don't mind the praise for the team and the recognition of what it's been for the city.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 05:54 PM)
Perhaps I'm the only one like this but for football (unlike baseball) I can't be distracted by things like laptops and game threads and such, I tend to do a lot of gestating, punching and screaming, the game needs my full attention. Baseball on the other hand I can just sit back with my laptop and bulls*** in a game thread about how s***ty the Sox are playing. I'm weird like that.

Ya, football games get my full attention (plus I'm usually at the bar, unless its nationally televised) and playoff games get me to go crazy. I must have lost a pound or two from yesterdays game just from all the running and jumping around I did (oh and my voice is toast today).

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 07:56 PM)
Amen.

So I attempted to jump an office chair after Tank Johnson's sack which apparently brought me within less than an inch of a ceiling beam that would have surely knocked me out. God bless football.

This does not surprise me for some reason, even considering I am drunk.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
New Orleans has desperately needed something and the team has been a light of inspiration for a lot of people. The place is still a dump, but at the least, the city is not abandoned, and the city does stand tall in some area. There's nothing at all wrong with mentioning what the team has been for the city everytime the team is on the air. I don't mind the praise for the team and the recognition of what it's been for the city.

F*** sports for that city. The best thing ANYONE could do for New Orleans is move it 10 miles north (or however far it is to get it out of that bowl).

Do people not realize a sports team can not stop a hurricane in New Orleans, regardless of whether or not it is from Miami or not?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course you would, why wouldnt you pick a Patriots tandem that isnt anywhere close to as effective as the Bears.

Dillon 812 yards

Maroney 745 yards

T Jones 1210 yards

Benson 647 yards

TJ and Benson statistically are better runners than the Saints backs. Bush obviously does alot more things than most backs and will improve over time, but regardless, the Bears backs right now are better runners.

You're going to point to total combined rushing yards to compare the two? That's downright foolish. The Bears ran the ball close to a hundred times more than the Patriots did. The Patriots were a pass first offense while the Bears were a run first offense. You're going to conclude all the while throwing a jab that the Patriots tandem is far worse than the Bears tandem based off a 300 yard difference when the Bears combo ran the ball 79 more times than the Patriots did? Come on, you're better than that. If Tom Brady were on the Bears and Rex Grossman were on the Patriots, first of all, we'd have probably seen Cassel by now, but if we hadn't we would without a doubt be seeing more touches between Dillon and Maroney.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 14, 2007 -> 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Belichick might be the most snide jackass in the NFL. It's too bad he can't get on the field himself and get the s*** kicked out of him a few times.

Can you explain this A-boz? The guy keeps to himself, lets the on-field action speak for himself. I suppose his attire I could do without but what's it matter? Don't tell me it's because a player or two celebrated a win in a week where nobody thought they could do it, expected them to do it, etc.

Knowing him and meeting him first hand, his classyness amazed me. He's stayed loyal to the same barber since he's been here, even going to him when he used to come visit here.. So I went to get my hair cut and I saw him, he listened to me when I told him how big of a fan I was, shook my hand, told me he appreciated it, and finally took down my address and sent me and my two brothers a personalized autograph picture sent directly from his house. He lives in the same town that I do.

Rather remarkable guy if you ask me.

I think at this point in Dillon's career that the Jones/Benson combo is pretty much without doubt better than the Dillon/Maroney combo. Now comparing the Saints tandem is a whole different story. In my opinion Duece is a better runner than both of our guys well in the case with Benson more proven and obviously Bush is a better pass catcher than both of our guys. But TJ is obviously a better runner than Bush at this point in his career and I personally think Benson can be the best runner of all 4 of them just really hasnt had the chance to prove it.

I think id call it just about a draw and the weather conditions will determine which tandem will be more effective. If its snowing/raining and windy out I give us the advantage if its a perfect day outside I give the Saints the advantage since Bush will be a lot more effective.

I think the game itself will pretty much be one sides whoever wins, it all depends on how effective we are at running the ball against a pretty sorry defense.

Dillon aging is a reason for not choosing Maroney and him in the future, but Rock was referring to the best tandem left in the playoffs. If we're talking this season, what running back tandem will give the team they play for the best chance of winning, I think you could make a case for New England, New Orleans and Chicago. That is all.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 09:43 AM)
So, again, the Colts have no case, despite already winning in Foxboro?

What the heck are you talking about. Most experts I've heard are all picking the Colts. In fact I'd be surprised if anyone picked the Pats (the only valid reason for picking them is based on past success of Brady/Belli in the playoffs and that is it because the Colts are the superior team).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
What the heck are you talking about. Most experts I've heard are all picking the Colts. In fact I'd be surprised if anyone picked the Pats (the only valid reason for picking them is based on past success of Brady/Belli in the playoffs and that is it because the Colts are the superior team).

A lot of the picks aren't even released until the end of the week, but I'm not seeing people pick the Colts. Everyone here is excited to see Brady pick apart the Colts again, and everyone says all the teams but the Colts have a sufficient running game.

CNNSI.com picks the Pats

ESPN.com Accuscore and the ESPN Motion video of Jeremy Green picks the Pats

So I'm not seeing where people are picking the Colts as of right now.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 11:44 AM)
Colts will win with ease, thats just my guess.

Seconded. I like how the Colts are winning so far this postseason.. defense first and foremost. I think that makes the difference in the upcoming game.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)
The Colts have a case, although I think we'd both agree that they are a different team now than when they played in week nine. It should be a great game, I'm hoping the Patriots come out on top.

While this is true, I'd definitely expect a game from the Colts side more similar to how they played in week 9 than they have the past two weeks.

I have much more faith in our offense than I do in our defense, regardless of the D's play in the playoffs. The Colts offense has proven themselves for a much longer period of time than the defense has.

If the D plays the way they have the past two weeks, I more than like the Colts' chances. But as of right now, I consider what the defense has done to be an aberration right now, until they can prove to play like that on a consistent basis.

--------

Now that the Chargers were eliminated, I think it's fair to say that you can make a legitimate case for all the remaining teams and their chances of winning a SB.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 16, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)
Greasy,

I'm more so saying that the Colts were still undefeated after beating the Patriots in week nine. Since then, they've been a completely different team, and although they have won two games in the playoffs, they've been very beatable since that week nine game.

Even if that's what you're trying to say, my point stays the same. The Colts were a different team all season. They may have started the season 9-0, but they never hit their stride or coasted like they have in past seasons. Look at the scores of the Colts' games during the first 9 games:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/teams/schedule?team=ind

With the exception of the Houston game, the Colts were down in all of those games, and just squeaked by to get the W. Usually all the Colts games in the regular season are like the Houston game; the Colts have been beatable all year.