Official NFL Thread

Not sure if it has been posted but the Steelers are set to sign Mike Tomlin as head coach. Love the hire, especially considering Russ Grimm was his main competition. I'll be interested to see if he keeps the 3-4 like he should with Lebeau, or if he switches to his cover 2 he ran in Minny.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the percentage of people picking against the Bears? 80-85%? Even at work today every damn person who decided to talk to me about th Bears (25-30 people) expressed doubt in a Bears victory most were outright picking the Saints to win.

I never thought a team that went 13-3 during the regular season with a top 5 defense and a solid middle of the pack offense could be such large underdogs at home. It's insane.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 02:03 AM)
So what is the percentage of people picking against the Bears? 80-85%? Even at work today every damn person who decided to talk to me about th Bears (25-30 people) expressed doubt in a Bears victory most were outright picking the Saints to win.

I never thought a team that went 13-3 during the regular season with a top 5 defense and a solid middle of the pack offense could be such large underdogs at home. It's insane.

Thankfully odds makers have a sense for reality. The Bears are like 3 point favorites across the board.

If I were a true betting man, I'd think about betting on them. But I'm not, so I won't.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 01:59 AM)
2-4 inches of snow in the forecast, and the radar looks like fun.

Have fun New Orleans, especially after you've practiced indoors all week.

If this is the case Devin Hester will fumble and it will be costly.I love Hester but i have just had this feeling all year that he would cost us with a big fumble in a big spot.Snow will make it scary for our special teams.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 03:35 PM)
Not sure if it has been posted but the Steelers are set to sign Mike Tomlin as head coach. Love the hire, especially considering Russ Grimm was his main competition. I'll be interested to see if he keeps the 3-4 like he should with Lebeau, or if he switches to his cover 2 he ran in Minny.

I think it's a given he'll run the cover 2 because that's what he's been sucessful with so far. Should be interesting to see what that means for the likes of Joey Porter now though.

It really puts Brad Childress under a lot of pressure as well for next season, because Tomlin's D really bailed out the Vikings from having a real bad year. He probably won't have the same luxury next season, so if I were to pick a coach that would be fired next season, it'd be Childress.

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 02:42 AM)
If this is the case Devin Hester will fumble and it will be costly.I love Hester but i have just had this feeling all year that he would cost us with a big fumble in a big spot.Snow will make it scary for our special teams.

Well what is more important, the Bears special teams (ie one f'ing player) or the entire Saints offense?

The Saints depend upon speed, and snow will slow them down, plain and simple. I saw it as an even game; now the Bears are probably huge favorites (assuming it's still snowing by game time, and from the way the radar looks, I'd put it at 50-50).

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 21, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
Well what is more important, the Bears special teams (ie one f'ing player) or the entire Saints offense?

The Saints depend upon speed, and snow will slow them down, plain and simple. I saw it as an even game; now the Bears are probably huge favorites (assuming it's still snowing by game time, and from the way the radar looks, I'd put it at 50-50).

The Saints are probably going to try and pound Deuce inside as much as they cann.

So the Bears HAVE to be able to stop the run tomorrow, and put the Saints in 3rd and long situations as much as possible.

And conversly, the Bears have to be able to run the football. Because if they can't, I don't think Grossman can succeed in they are always going to put in on his shoulders.

I seek not to ruffle any political feathers, as today should be a day of shared football love, but at the same time, I have an obligation to bring you the best and the brightest football analysis out there. And when you're looking for football analysis, you look to one man (especially if you're ESPN): Rush Limbaugh.

Here's Rush on the state of today's NFL:

"Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it."

Sounds like that was cathartic for him. And really, I couldn't agree more. I grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood, and I got tired of seeing it, day-in, day-out... a couple of young hoodlums will rob a liquor store, murder three or four innocent bystanders in cold blood ... and then come outside and do Shawne Merriman's "Lights Out" dance. As a society, we've got to do better.

As for the game itself, Limbaugh said he likes Tookie Brees to throw for about 220 yards in the first half, until the Bears starting defensive line changes the momentum of the game by running a train on a cheerleader at midfield. At that point, the Saints will no choice but to go into their "Kill for Sport" defense.

I thought that was pretty funny.