Frank Thomas v. Jim Thome

Steve9347

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
To use this excuse for why Jim Thome's production has slipped just proves the point further for Frank Thomas. Oakland's players never got going in the first place, offensively speaking, yet Thomas is putting up monster numbers.

I'd like to see him face the pitchers in the central for most of the season. The best pitchers in the AL West are all on his team.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
For one month, I thought the SOX indeed got the better end of this deal. Deep down, I understand the move, KW wanted/needed to upgrade the offense from last year. Just plain bad luck that Big Frank's injury was mis-diagnosed leading him to reinjure himself last season.

Anyone remember just how Amazing Frank Thomas was in just one month back in 05 with the SOX?

He was swinging that bat like the Frank Thomas of the 90's. I'll be making that drive up to Cooperstown one day soon. Heres to Big Frank, future Hall-of-Famer

Why do you keep saying this? There was no misdiagnosis, he fractured his navicular bone, again. The Sox knew it, Frank knew it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:22 AM)
Why do you keep saying this? There was no misdiagnosis, he fractured his navicular bone, again. The Sox knew it, Frank knew it.

Don't his lawyers believe otherwise?

EDIT: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=922376

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To use this excuse for why Jim Thome's production has slipped just proves the point further for Frank Thomas. Oakland's players never got going in the first place, offensively speaking, yet Thomas is putting up monster numbers.

More bulls***.

April Numbers

Chavez: .301/.392/.681 (very unusual for him)

Milton Bradley: .246/.373/.406

Kotsay: .350 OBP

Swisher: .313/.404/.718

Jason Kendall was terrible with the bat yet still had a .355 OBP

Those guys have little impact on Frank's crappy .669 OPS, and he only had 11 RBI's with 5 regulars in the lineup having an OBP> .349

Why don't you guys look this stuff up before making such claims?

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
Don't his lawyers believe otherwise?

EDIT: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?p=922376

Is the Sporting News a Hangar18 approved media outlet? I dont know if I can trust this shoddy piece of news, it might be an east coast bias or a Tribune coverup.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
The Angels rotation is pretty awesome.

I just checked into this and you are correct.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
Is the Sporting News a Hangar18 approved media outlet? I dont know if I can trust this shoddy piece of news, it might be an east coast bias or a Tribune coverup.

That's a real story and, last I saw of it, he has a pretty good case.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
Think his run production numbers have anything to do with our leadoff hitter having a .287 obp in the 2nd half?

Actually, it has less to do with it that you might think. See Jermaine Dye. Conveniently for the purpose of this argument, JD took over the #3 spot on exactly August 1st. Since then he has amassed 23 RBI WITH RISP (utilizing only 4 HRs) and 35 RBI total. Like Thome, JD has had some days off due to injury as well. He's also hitting .350 with RISP post-ASB, hardly the dropoff from his .366 prior to the ASB. Funny thing is, Thome now hits behind Dye who had a .390 OBP in August and currently has a .421 OBP in September.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...&statType=1

I'd like to clarify my stance. Thome has his uses. Even now when his clutch abilities seem zapped, he still gets on base and is more productive than many other hitters. I completely understand the logic behind the offseason move to bring him in and kick Frank out. We'll see how this all plays out in the final stretch.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
More bulls***.

April Numbers

Chavez: .301/.392/.681 (very unusual for him)

Milton Bradley: .246/.373/.406

Kotsay: .350 OBP

Swisher: .313/.404/.718

Jason Kendall was terrible with the bat yet still had a .355 OBP

Those guys have little impact on Frank's crappy .669 OPS, and he only had 11 RBI's with 5 regulars in the lineup having an OBP> .349

Why don't you guys look this stuff up before making such claims?

You are throwing 1 month's total statistics to disprove those points? Let's look at the cumalative numbers here. Oakland ranks in the bottom four in runs, hits, total bases, RBI, batting average, slugging percentage, OPS, and are 7th in OBP and 9th in home runs. Yet Thomas has put up great numbers in nearly all of those categories. Up until September, He never got a lot of help no matter what way you look at it. Thome seems to have always done so.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are throwing 1 month's total statistics to disprove those points? Let's look at the cumalative numbers here. Oakland ranks in the bottom four in runs, hits, total bases, RBI, batting average, slugging percentage, OPS, and are 7th in OBP and 9th in home runs. Yet Thomas has put up great numbers in nearly all of those categories. Up until September, He never got a lot of help no matter what way you look at it. Thome seems to have always done so.

What the hell are you talking about?

You said

Oakland's players never got going in the first place, offensively speaking, yet Thomas is putting up monster numbers.

In response to Frank's bad start to the season.

Doesn't it make perfect sense to llok at April numbers when you say "Oakland's players never got it going in the first place" and when talking about Frank's down month? (WHICH WAS APRIL)

:huh

What's in the water you're drinking?

I'm also still laughing at Frank the Tank still claiming Thome has been "unclutch" this second half despite an OPS well into the 900's with RISP

I don't know who's more annoying. The blind Frank extremists, or the Sox fans who used to bash him when he was on the team.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 01:12 AM)

You said

Doesn't it make perfect sense to llok at April numbers when you say "Oakland's players never got it going in the first place" and when talking about Frank's down month? (WHICH WAS APRIL)

No. They never got going in the first place, meaning at any point throughout the season(Although they have been red hot in September).

(The A's have been consitently bad on offense, not just in April. The White Sox, however, have not, hense the comparison. I was not talking about the start of the season with my first post. I do not know where you got that from).

And please, check your tone.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)

You said

:huh

What's in the water you're drinking?

I'm also still laughing at Frank the Tank still claiming Thome has been "unclutch" this second half despite an OPS well into the 900's with RISP

I don't know who's more annoying. The blind Frank extremists, or the Sox fans who used to bash him when he was on the team.

You should really adjust your poor attitude. I love it when a guy on the internet takes a condescending tone with people he would be deferrential to in person.

Why does everyone forget that Thome is a lefty? Thome has more of an impact on the team as a lefty. He helps the Dye and Konerko out by being a lefty. Thomas in this lineup would not have had the same effect. A lefty power hitter with 2 right handed power hitters is much better then 3 righty power hitters. So, you can't only look at their numbers, you need to look at the intangables anyway.

And Jim Thome will wind up with better numbers.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)

Hooray! I always knew I could make it as a comedian.

What say we jump into that OPS well and pull out its components? Yes, he walks. We've established this. Pitchers do respect his power, and he has a good eye. Oh, high SLG... one possible way that occurs is when a powerful hitter takes an all or nothing approach increasing the chances he'll get an XBH (or K or roll out to the second baseman). So yes, since the ASB he's had 34 ABs with RISP producing 8 hits, 4 of which were doubles and 2 of which were hrs. So in terms of SLG: 2(singles)+8(doubles)+8(hrs)= 16/34= .529. Congrats. That means in 26 of those 34 ABs, he left the runners on base.

BTW, has anyone seen my eyes?