Brian Anderson

DBAHO

Start speculating your deals folks!!! :bang

The answer on Willis in particular could change by midseason next year if the Marlins aren't in contention and there's no stadium on the way. His salary figures to climb past $10 million in 2008, at which point top pitching prospects such as Chris Volstad, Gaby Hernandez, Brett Sinkbeil, Sean West and Aaron Thompson could be ready.

Rather than dangle Willis and Cabrera this winter to fill gaping holes in center field and in their bullpen, the Marlins could instead package up a few arms from their deep stash of young pitching. Renyel Pinto, Yusmeiro Petit and Jose Garcia figure to top that list.

First baseman Mike Jacobs, who offered below-average defense and tailed off badly at the plate in the second half, also could go in the right deal.

Don't look for the Marlins to pursue a center fielder via free agency, so shelve those thoughts of a Juan Pierre reunion. Instead, the Marlins will pursue a trade for a budding two-way player with low service time.

Brian Anderson (White Sox), Willy Tavares (Astros) and Matt Kemp (Dodgers) all interest the Marlins, according to baseball sources. The Devil Rays' Rocco Baldelli, signed to a below-market deal through at least 2008, might be available in the right deal.

The Devil Rays showed interest in Ricky Nolasco last spring, and his inconsistency could prompt the Marlins to part with the 11-game winner if it means getting Baldelli, who will make $750,000 next year.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beautox @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 08:11 AM)
agreed, i don't quite understand the article who are the sox getting in return?

and if BA goes to the marlins i will be sad for soxdom, but yet my second favorite team will get an amazing talent.

I think they mean pick up one of the listed outfielders for someone like:

the Marlins could instead package up a few arms from their deep stash of young pitching. Renyel Pinto, Yusmeiro Petit and Jose Garcia figure to top that list.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 08:36 AM)
there is zero reason to trade Brian Anderson... a guy who batted .257 with excellent range and defense post-All star break and would have done even better if Ozzie would have actually played him daily...

If Dontrelle was involved you would have to listen.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 07:10 AM)
I am going to say this right now... there would be about 29 teams who would be interested in Brian Anderson. The guy is going to be good, and everyone in baseball knows it.

except 75% of white sox fans apparently.

QUOTE(SnB @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
except 75% of white sox fans apparently.

If there is anything I have learned about baseball, its moderation is the key. There really aren't too many fence setters for some reason... Its like you either have to believe the guy is the next coming of Willie Mays, or he needs to be taken out back and put down Old Yeller style.

I tend to think Brian is going to be in the upper 25% of CFs once his batting eye develops a little better. I still view him along the samelines as Joe Crede, we might have to wait a while, but it will be pretty when it is done.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
If Dontrelle was involved you would have to listen.

sorry, i for one think that dontrelle would be worthless the second time around the american league... though he did have a mid-2's era against the likes of baltimore, tampa bay, boston, and the yanks last season... i just dont see it lasting.

however, if they wanted to take freddy or jose off our hands as well, which i doubt.

id prefer to keep the dream alive with BA

sorry.

I'm not on the Surfer Dude bandwagon in CF.

don't see him having any plus offensive tools. Modest power, not a base stealer.

he's a solid fielder, but he didn't blow me away with his range or arm.

If we can trade him for a SS or a starter, I'm all for it.

BA just doesn't play with enough urgency for me -- and Ozzie certainly doesn't seem to love the guy either.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
sorry.

I'm not on the Surfer Dude bandwagon in CF.

don't see him having any plus offensive tools. Modest power, not a base stealer.

he's a solid fielder, but he didn't blow me away with his range or arm.

If we can trade him for a SS or a starter, I'm all for it.

BA just doesn't play with enough urgency for me -- and Ozzie certainly doesn't seem to love the guy either.

Already a top 5 defensive centerfielder in all of baseball. Is he better than Rowand in CF? Yes.

Rowand made what are routine plays for BA look difficult because he got poor jumps at times. BA pretty much can get to as many balls as anyone. His arm is above average as well.

As far as his offense goes, it was his first full season in the major leagues. If we threw away everyone after their first full year (Crede, Rowand are guys who everyone wanted to get rid of), we'd miss out on a lot of players.

Besides, look at BA's 2nd half splits in 2006 and compare them to Rowand's in 2005.

BA 2006

.257 .301 .393

Rowand 2005

.264 .326 .431

Not much difference there if you ask me. And this was BA's first season and that was what, the 3rd or 4th year for Rowand?

Maybe if our manager quit riding BA in the press and actually played him everyday instead of a joke like Mackowiak in CF, he'd get rolling.

everyone talks about brians secodn half....but am i the only one who thinks his second half still wasnt very good....i mean .257 .301 .393 still stinks..........im not sayin he won't be a good ballplayer, but i think people tend to overrate his second half...

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Boz.. just curious why you brought up a Rowand comparison.

Because I think a lot of people believe that Rowand was a lot better than BA, which to me just isn't the case.

I love A Row and all, but I think BA has the potential to be a much better player.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
Because I think a lot of people believe that Rowand was a lot better than BA, which to me just isn't the case.

I love A Row and all, but I think BA has the potential to be a much better player.

it isnt the case.... BA is the better talent than Rowand.

If they would be willing to trade Willis, you would have to listen to any offer. If KW does go after Crawford, he would most likely have to deal McCarthy or one of the other starters. Then if he decides to deal Contreras, Vazquez or Garcia for some other talent, he can fill in the new starter void with Willis. This is pure speculation, i hightly doubt KW trades BMac without even giving him a full season's chance at being a starter. I also don't see Anderson going anywhere. He can only get better. However, this team needs a new leadoff left fielder. So I really hope Tampa would accept a guy like Contreras to go along with a Broadway, Hager type package. (I love speculation!) Only like .09% of it happens!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
That's because he had a piss poor September (.200 AVG). His mid-June was quite good along with all of July (.313) and all of August (.296).

But since Aaron isn't coming back it's moot to compare them when thinking up logical trades for Brian.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 12:20 PM)
everyone talks about brians secodn half....but am i the only one who thinks his second half still wasnt very good....i mean .257 .301 .393 still stinks..........im not sayin he won't be a good ballplayer, but i think people tend to overrate his second half...

It's improvement. If he hit .200 the whole year, then there is an argument. But, he showed that he was improving before Ozzie started meddling (although I know Oz was just trying to get the best team out of the field).

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 5, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
It's improvement. If he hit .200 the whole year, then there is an argument. But, he showed that he was improving before Ozzie started meddling (although I know Oz was just trying to get the best team out of the field during winterball).

Fixed that for you.