Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 12:11 AM)
I'm not gonna quote you for stupidity one way or the other. I'm just not going to agree or disagree with you before we see what the hell mcbride's deal is (out 10 games? season?). That will make a huge difference, IMO.

I think we'll defend fine again..we just need some guys to put the biscuit in the basket, to steal a hockey term. Can Randle shoot this year? Can Pruitt be relied on night after night? Etc.

McBride will be back for conference i'm assuming, and the OOC is weak, so yeah. Randle is going to be a star IMO, Pruitt is really a wild card though.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some amusing quotes from the ACC coaches convention.

Seth Greenberg, VT coach: "I like my team, Skip Prosser likes his team, Gary Williams likes his team, Dave Leitao likes his team. And Roy Williams likes both his teams"

Skip Prosser said UNC was like Noah's arc, as they have two of everything, lol.

Anyways, it cheered me up, along with Bunting finally being canned as UNC football coach.

I figured he'd get 10 games, and quite possibly a 1st semester suspension like Marcus Williams last year. That definitely makes life easier for the team, though they still need a couple of guys to step up and be more dependable than they have been in the past...

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
No doubt. If he was a first timer here, 4 games would have been fair, but considering all things, he shoulda got between 10 to 15 games IMO.

yeah, i was thinking 10 minimum. oh well.

Clones keep losing players, starting SG out for a game, backup post player breaks wrist.

On a side note, anyone who follows the Big 12 knows that Rahshon Clark is an athletic sumb****. Word is new recruit Wesley Johnson can move like him, which is good, cause Clark is a joy to watch play.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
Pre-season prediction/projections coming out... For the Big East predictions, most have Marquette finishing anywhere in that 3-6 range. Not that they mean much, but it's fun for discussional purposes.

Collegehoops.net has your Eagles at 27. They've got to the top 20 and still no SIU, meaning we're going to be in the top 19. Like you said, means absolutely nothing but it's fun to look at and discuss.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 07:35 PM)
Collegehoops.net has your Eagles at 27. They've got to the top 20 and still no SIU, meaning we're going to be in the top 19. Like you said, means absolutely nothing but it's fun to look at and discuss.

After last tournament, there has to be a lot of MVC love in all the polls. SIU is experienced and talented. I'm guessing we will come in around 15 or 16.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)

Yeah, SI had 'em at 18 (I think). Is this SIU team comparably better or worse than the one that made the Sweet 16 run a few years back?

This is a 'catch-on' year for me. A couple years ago, I knew D1 basketball (players, who was good, who was bad and whatnot) inside and out. The past couple years, I've fallen off, so it's going to take me a year or two to get re-acclimated. Thus, my baseball-like strong opinions will be confined mainly to Marquette and some Big East teams (lucky for you guys, you won't see me blabbering on for at least two years!).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 01:56 AM)
Yeah, SI had 'em at 18 (I think). Is this SIU team comparably better or worse than the one that made the Sweet 16 run a few years back?

I honestly couldn't tell you how it compares considering I really just started to follow SIU bball hardcore last season. I can tell you that this team is pretty damn good and deep. We have a few weaknesses but this team could definitely be a s16 team.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 01:56 AM)

This years team is far superior on the defensive end. Can Jamal Tatum be a senior scorer? Tony Young? Brian Mullins is different than Kent Williams was. Falker can be just as effective as Rolan Roberts was that year. This team can be better than that 01-02 team, but that have to show it on the field.

Illinois may really hurt our recruiting plans if they land Jackson. Iowa looked to be where he was leaning but now it seems more 50/50 and he still has some hopes that his stock will increase and he'll have a shot at UNC.

If Iowa lands Jackson it appears we'd land two top 50 recruits that are Iowa leans right now, but anything can happen. Iowa has the making of a sick recruiting class and we have a lot of top players leaning our way, but Alford has to close things out and seal the deal.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
Illinois may really hurt our recruiting plans if they land Jackson. Iowa looked to be where he was leaning but now it seems more 50/50 and he still has some hopes that his stock will increase and he'll have a shot at UNC.

If Iowa lands Jackson it appears we'd land two top 50 recruits that are Iowa leans right now, but anything can happen. Iowa has the making of a sick recruiting class and we have a lot of top players leaning our way, but Alford has to close things out and seal the deal.

The indications are he's been a STRONG Iowa lean for a while, but Illinois still gets whoever they want from central Illinois, so that one is very hard to predict. Will be a lot of gnashing of teeth in Chambana and the IC over Jackson for the next 12 months.

The first one:

Week 1 ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. Florida (30) 0-0 772

2. North Carolina 0-0 728

3. Kansas 0-0 714

4. Ohio State 0-0 595

5. Pittsburgh 0-0 583

5. UCLA 0-0 583

7. LSU 0-0 556

8. Georgetown 0-0 538

9. Wisconsin 0-0 530

10. Arizona 0-0 478

11. Duke 0-0 477

12. Alabama 0-0 420

13. Texas A&M 0-0 335

14. Memphis 0-0 328

15. Boston College 0-0 284

16. Washington 0-0 240

17. Marquette 0-0 203

18. Connecticut 0-0 200

19. Texas 0-0 172

20. Syracuse 0-0 138

21. Georgia Tech 0-0 137

22. Kentucky 0-0 119

23. Creighton 0-0 113

24. Tennessee 0-0 106

25. Nevada 0-0 101

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

Gonzaga 88, Wichita State 78, Louisville 77, Southern Illinois 70, Illinois 52,

Xavier 44, Villanova 39, Air Force 26, San Diego State 24, Hofstra 20,

Oklahoma State 19, Michigan 17, Michigan State 15, Maryland 12, DePaul 11,

Florida State 9, George Mason 6, Indiana 5, Houston 3, Brigham Young 2,

George Washington 2, Winthrop 2, Utah 1, Bucknell 1, New Mexico State 1, Saint Louis 1.

Booerns, guess we're just going to have to fight our way into the top 25. :)

EDIT: Some quick thoughts on this before I head to class: Pitt is beyond overrated. Gtech and Memphis are going to be very dangerous come tourny time. Duke will be more dangerous this year come tourny time than last. Creighton is better than 23 in the nation and Nevada better than 25th.

Edited by Rowand44

Not that pre-season poll count for anything...other than reference for discussion,

but it seems that there a lot of teams, especially this year that are wrongly slotted by max potential they could possibly achieve. Where it should be earned.

Ohio State has a chance to be really good, hell they may win it all, but do they deserve #4 coming in?? Were they even ranked at the end of last year?? 1 player shoudl not make that kind of immediate impact. They should earn that respect.

I also agree that Pittsburgh is way over-ranked, but if the Big East is the best conference in the country, I suppose they deserve a Top 5 team. I don't see Pittsburgh winning the Big East though, that will belong to the Hoyas. Aaron Gray=husky version of Eric Chenowith. The Hoyas were a very dangerous tourney team last year, and return everybody, they deserve the credit over a decent Pittsburgh team that lost their leadership with Krauser.

The SEC looks to be stacked, when was the last time, if ever, have you seen Kentucky picked to finish #4 in the conference?? Obviously, its gonna be real tough for the Gators to win again, but I do see Tack Minor coming back and contributing at LSU for another deep run into March. Say what you want about Glen Davis, but the guy has skills that Robert Traylor couldnt even dream about... he has the goods for his size.

Nevertheless, I see a lot of teams that should have something to prove, but they are already very high on this poll. UCLA prove it, Wisconsin prove it, Alabama prove it, A&M prove it. At the same time, I don't see how Witchita State and Southern Illinois are left off this list and how the hell did Depaul get 11 votes?? :huh

A great year in store indeed.....