Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Palehosefan (or anyone with knowledge of TTU), how is Texas Tech looking this year? I'm looking forward to a potential Marquette/Texas Tech matchup. Th winner will most likely get Duke, too, so it will be an early measuring stick.

Can't wait for the tourney to just get started already. Hillsdale Friday, and then it begins Monday.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 07:34 AM)
Well their leading scorer, Jackson, was dismissed from the team recently, for starters.

Yea he is back now. Knight told him he would have a chance to join the team again and I read on yahoo that it has happened.

Men's Basketball signs three high school prospects

Men's Basketball Home

HEADLINES

Men's Basketball signs three high school prospects

Men's Basketball ranked #27 by Associated Press

Men's Basketball beats Henderson State in final tuneup for regular season

RELATED LINKS

• Follow all of the college basketball action at CollegeSports.com

• Email this to a friend

Nov. 8, 2006

By Tom Weber

www.SIUSalukis.com

CARBONDALE, Ill. - Southern Illinois University men's basketball coach Chris Lowery unveiled the program's 2006 recruiting class on Wednesday, signing a trio of high school seniors.

Lowery received official letters of intent from 6-foot-8 forward Carlton Fay (Putnam County H.S./Granville, Ill.), 6-foot-11 center Nick Evans (Red Hill H.S./Bridgeport, Ill.) and 6-foot-3 guard Brandon Wood (Kokomo H.S./Kokomo, Ind.).

Fay (6-8, 230) was the most sought-after recruiting prize. The Salukis won his services over programs such as Wisconsin, Xavier, Vanderbilt and Nebraska, plus a host of Missouri Valley Conference schools.

"He's that blue-chip recruit that you need in each class to continue your success," Lowery said.

Last year, Fay averaged 20.2 ppg and 9.7 rpg and was named first-team all-state by the Illinois Basketball Coaches Association. The Peoria Journal-Star's player-of-the-year is already Putnam County's career scoring leader with 1,378 points. He helped lead his team to a 27-5 record in 2006 and the Class A sectionals.

"He comes in ready to play, physically, mentally and skill-wise," Lowery said. "He's ready to play as an incoming freshman."

Lowery hopes that Evans (6-11, 245), who is the tallest high school recruit to sign with Southern since 7-footer Shane Wells did so in 1993, turns out to be a late bloomer.

A product of home schooling, Evans played his first year of organized basketball last season and averaged 11.5 ppg, 9.0 rpg, and 3.0 bpg. He helped lead Red Hill to a 19-9 record.

"Nick hasn't scratched the surface of how good he's going to be," Lowery said. "He has huge potential with his size and ability to run. He has a good skill package to work with."

Evans recently moved to the Carbondale area with his mom and will play for Carbondale High School this year.

Wood (6-3, 180), who received interest from Wisconsin, Ohio, Evansville and others, can score in a variety of ways, according to Lowery.

"He can score off the bounce, plus he can really shoot the ball from the perimeter," Lowery said. "Taking Joshua Bone last year, and taking Wood helps us stretch and extend the defense."

Wood averaged 19.2 ppg, 5.0 rpg and 3.0 spg last year for a Kokomo team that finished 10-11. He is also an outstanding student, who posted a 1400 on the SAT.

I see a 6'11 recruit for SIU and I smile. Always have lacked legit height.

Texas Tech should be pretty good this year. They finally have the depth to make a run at the tournament again. Jackson rejoining the team is of course a great thing, but they even have depth behind him with Charles Burgess a talented Juco transfer, as well as their first legit 7 footer in a while in Ezmir Rizvic, another Juco transfer this year.

At the very least, it would be a tremendous guards matchup between Marquette/Tech. Burgess/Jackson/Zeno vs. James/McNeal/Matthews should be a treat.

Though for some reason Gardner-Webb worries me.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
Texas Tech should be pretty good this year. They finally have the depth to make a run at the tournament again. Jackson rejoining the team is of course a great thing, but they even have depth behind him with Charles Burgess a talented Juco transfer, as well as their first legit 7 footer in a while in Ezmir Rizvic, another Juco transfer this year.

Ugh, that worries me. Any team with a big man who can do any damage at all around the basket worries me. You're right about the guard matchups, though. It could be one of a couple games with great guard matchups (among others, Wisconsin and hopefully Duke).

Aaron Gray. I think he's totally overrated, but I guess we'll see this year. A refined Hibbard from Georgetown worries me much, much more.

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 07:47 AM)
I see a 6'11 recruit for SIU and I smile. Always have lacked legit height.

Evans will probably redshirt next season but yes it's nice to see some height come in here. Fay is the real deal, I wouldn't be surprised at all if at some point next season he's starting.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
Evans will probably redshirt next season but yes it's nice to see some height come in here. Fay is the real deal, I wouldn't be surprised at all if at some point next season he's starting.

Did you defend your boy, Mullins, on Saluki Talk?

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
Some early scores of note:

Loyola with a double digit lead over Princeton

NC State down 6 to Wofford with 8 minutes left in the first half

Mike Davis and UAB down 20 to Washington State with 8 minutes left

Good lord Mikey D.

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
Yuck, 23-12, SIU at half. Hope Tatum is back before Orlando.

59 to 28 final. Not as bad as it sounds offensively. Honestly, the offense flowed so much more than last year and there were actually players besides TY who wanted to be aggressive on the offensive side of things. This offense will be a lot better than last season, I'll tell you that right now. Tony Boyle was very impressive tonight, he looks so much more fluid than last. It'll be nice to actually have some depth in the front court this year so Randal and Matt can actually take some breaks. Overall, wasn't the prettiest game but I came out pretty excited about this upcoming season. And before someone says "It was a d3 team," yes I know but you had to see the difference between last year and todays game in terms of aggressiveness in our players. Very nice to see.

EDIT: Two other things, the offense only ran a few set plays today, otherwise it was just the motion, we're saving the play usage for real competition I guess. And Tatum is back next sunday against Murray State.

Edited by Rowand44