Worst Team To Ever Win the World Series

aboz56

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the most remarkable thing about this year was the fact that the Cardinals managed to act healthy at just the right time. Edmunds, Rolen, Eckstein, all of them were hurt late in the season, but they all found the balls to turn themselves on at the right time to push this team through the playoffs.

In some ways, yes, this says something negative about the MLB, because by turning it on at the right time, you can make a disasterous season turn into a great one.

But on the other hand, it also says something beautiful about baseball, and that is that baseball has a number of hurdles you must overcome. First, you must survive the 162 game regular season, but then you must find a way to survive 1 5 game series and 2 7 game series. The MLB season tests you in different ways, endurance, intelligence, skill, ability in a short timespan, etc. You want those rings? You have to find a way to win all of those groupings.

The Cardinals were not the best team in the 162 game regular season. But combine all of the qualifications, and the Cards won. They got healthy enough at the right time. And there is no one who can take that away from them.

Enjoy those Rings Cards. You may not have been the best over 162 games alone, but you were the best over what Major League Baseball asked you to do, and I think that is a totally fair way of evaluating teams.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
They are certainly the worst team in recent memory to win a World Series, but I see no reason for MLB to be embarrassed. Frankly, I prefer it this way. Remember all the talk about the lack of parity in the league when the big payroll teams like the Yankees were winning championships every year? I'm glad that there is the potential for a major surprise every season. I'm glad that more teams (yes, even the "not-so-great" teams) have a chance to win it all. And I like the idea that its open season for any team that is fortunate to make the playoffs. There is nothing wrong with sliding into the playoffs and rising to the occasion when it counts the most.

It sure as hell takes away from the trade deadline and makes it a hell of a lot less important, I'll say that for sure. If a team can sneak into the playoffs by completely backing in, getting hot, and winning the World Series because the opposing team s***s their pants, what's that do for the other 28 teams in the majors? It tells them that if they have a record somewhat close to .500(as in within 8-10 games of any divisional race), they'll feel as though they have as good a shot as any other to get hot and sneak into the postseason, when in reality, it's not even close. That leads to only 5-7 teams trading every year, which in turn does not allow for many teams to upgrade their 25-man, which will undoubtedly turn into something along the lines of a team trading a key piece that's struggling for a piece that they need.

I'm happy as hell for the Cards, completely disappointed with how mediocre the World Series was(in large part because the Sox weren't in it for the first time since 2004), and pissed as hell that in the Cards worst year since 1999, they win the World Series. It's just completely frustrating.

For pure baseball fans that want parity, this is a huge moment. For huge hot stove fans, and fans that look to see their team improved at the trade deadline, it kinda sucks.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 09:39 PM)
Was anyone else kinda suprised at the fan reaction in St.Louis right after the win? Kinda seemed a little dull for a K to end the series....

I was thinking that too, even the team kind of, and Buck's call at the end sucked too. Hell, if the Sox won at home and I'm there, I'm going on the field.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
I bet Cards fans care as much about being called the "worst World Series winners ever" as much as we cared about people calling the Sox "lucky" after the Graffanino error, the AJ "steal of first" and the Biggio dropped popup.

Which is to say, not one bit at all.

I don't think anyone is trying to make Cardinals fans feel worse about winning. In fact, I'd say nearly all of us are happy to have seen them win. It's just practically undeniable that this is the worst WS champion any of us have ever seen.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
I don't think anyone is trying to make Cardinals fans feel worse about winning. In fact, I'd say nearly all of us are happy to have seen them win. It's just practically undeniable that this is the worst WS champion any of us have ever seen.

I realize that, but I know we have several big-time Cards fans on the site, and it just looks like people are pissing on their team, instead of congratulating them for winning despite serious injuries to most of their better players throughout the season.

If they had Isringhausen, Mulder, Bigbie, Rolen for the whole year, Edmonds for the whole year, (even Pujols missed some time), they'd probably have been a "better" team.

They played with who they had, and they won the whole damn thing.

That should be respected and celebrated, not spit on, in my opinion, especially from a fanbase who've used injuries as an excuse over the past few years ourselves. ("If we hadn't lost Frank and Magglio....")

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I realize that, but I know we have several big-time Cards fans on the site, and it just looks like people are pissing on their team, instead of congratulating them for winning despite serious injuries to most of their better players throughout the season.

If they had Isringhausen, Mulder, Bigbie, Rolen for the whole year, Edmonds for the whole year, (even Pujols missed some time), they'd probably have been a "better" team.

That should be respected and celebrated, not spit on, in my opinion, especially from a fanbase who've used injuries as an excuse over the past few years ourselves. ("If we hadn't lost Frank and Magglio....")

:notworthy

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)

Well the thing is they really didn't battle through the injuries during the regular season, they won 83 games which is the same amount of games we won in 2004 without Maggs and Frank. Look, I do have sour grapes cause I'm pissed off after watching that World Series knowing the Sox on talent alone could have ran through this damn thing but I hope the Cards fans enjoy this, there team did win it. I just don't respect this team that much. They did win the Series though and no one can take that away from them.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
Well the thing is they really didn't battle through the injuries during the regular season, they won 83 games which is the same amount of games we won in 2004 without Maggs and Frank. Look, I do have sour grapes cause I'm pissed off after watching that World Series knowing the Sox on talent alone could have ran through this damn thing but I hope the Cards fans enjoy this, there team did win it. I just don't respect this team that much. They did win the Series though and no one can take that away from them.

I just think your anger (for lack of a better term) is misdirected.

The Cardinals didn't break any rules to get in, they just won a bad division. The 2004 Sox didn't get in with the same record, but that's not StL's fault either.

The Sox have no one to blame but themselves for their failure to qualify, but that takes nothing away from what the Cardinals did.

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

And bear in mind that in the postseason the Cardinals beat the best team in the NL record-wise and the team that was the best in the AL for most of the season, so I think that deserves some respect as well.