Crede doesn't get the gold glove.

WilliamTell

Ugh. Chavez was playing hurt half the year. Although I didn't see many of these guys, it's hard for me to believe that he was better than Crede, Inge, Lowell, or Beltre.

I'm assuming Uribe didn't get the GG either, right?

EDIT: Full list:

P Kenny Rogers

C Ivan Rodriguez

1B Mark Teixeira

2B Mark Grudzielanek

SS Derek Jeter

3B Eric Chavez

OF Torii Hunter

OF Ichiro Suzuki

OF Vernon Wells

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
The GG, like the Heisman and most other media-voted awards, is absolute garbage. There is no correlation between winning it and being what the winner was intended to be.

Except for one thing...$$$.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
Grudz had a pretty darn good year. I don't know if he was the very best but he's pretty damn solid. I got no problem with that.

Yeah, Grudz was pretty good, and thanks to Orlando Hudson leaving the AL, there was no standout 2Bs left.

In the beginning of the year, I commented that the defense at 2B in the AL is terrible compared to what it was just a few years ago.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 06:05 PM)
Wasn't Lopez considered to be a pretty good second base man? The Red Sox had a great defensive infield, but didn't get a single gold glove.

They had a defense that didn't make errors, which we all know isn't the best measure of defense. They were better on the corners than they were up the middle.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
Chavez committed 5 errors all season long, he deserved it...Grudz had an awesome season he deserved...Boston led the AL in Fielding % and no Red Sox won a GG

I think it's a pretty well documented and accepted notion that # of errors/field% are not great measures of defensive prowess. Afterall Orlando Hudson had 12 errors last year compared to Tadahito Iguchi's 8, I don't think you're going to find many baseball people who will tell you Iguchi is a better fielder than Hudson.

And if you're going to go by errors committed then you should probably be upset Lowell didn't win it seeing how he committed only one more error but in 72 more chances. Chavez: 5 errors in 391 chances (.987) and Lowell: 6 errors in 463 chances (.987)

This is a joke how can Crede not win Gold Glove ????? With the game on the line and if I have to pick the 3b that would make the game ending play I would always pick Crede. They should let the fans pick the winners just like the All-Star Game. Eric Chavez just won it out pure popularity this sucks.................not only did we didn't make the playoffs and now we get snubed on this as well, I forgot that we are dealing with a sport that glorifies Kenny Rogers so called "dirt" on his hand.

I think we all saw a lot of Brandon Inge this year versus the Sox, and I also caught probably a couple dozen other Tigers games on Extra Innings, and damn. To me, he looked better than Crede. And both of them looked better than Chavez. Lowell, I could take it or leave it, but the numbers are certainly there. This isn't as ridiculous as Towii winning last year, or Jeter winning annually, but it's an injustice of sorts.

I'm not as upset that Juan or Crede didn't win it as much as it now taints (heh, taint) the award for those who truly have deserved it. The Ozzie Smith's, the Brooks Robinsons, the Willie Mays, etc. I mean, Ozzie Smith > Juan Uribe >>>>>>>>Derek Jeter.