OPS against:

Contreras, Vazquez, Garcia, Garland, Buehrle

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Reddy @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 10:18 AM)
well we got jenks from the angels... but otherwise i agree with you

He was a mess when we acquired him though. We did a great job at sticking him in AA B-Ham as a closer, getting him to work on his control to help him become the pitcher he is today.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
Based on what? Wins?

Somebody please break it down for me. I could make a strong argument that Garcia was better in 2006.

Jon had like a 2 and a half month stretch in which he was simply dominant. Freddy wasn't able to string any kind of consistency together until September. Matter of fact, none of our starters were able to string together a run of success for as long as Jon did when he was on. That's just my opinion. Like I said, saying anybody was our "best" starter last year isn't saying a whole lot. It's like trying to figure out who's the most disgusting outta Oprah, Rosie O'Donell, Sigourney Weaver, Glenn Close and Kurt Warner's wife.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
He was a mess when we acquired him though. We did a great job at sticking him in AA B-Ham as a closer, getting him to work on his control to help him become the pitcher he is today.

ok true, i thought you were talking about home grown talent

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
Jon had like a 2 and a half month stretch in which he was simply dominant. Freddy wasn't able to string any kind of consistency together until September. Matter of fact, none of our starters were able to string a run of success for as long as Jon did when he was on. That's just my opinion. Like I said, saying anybody was our "best" starter last year isn't saying a whole lot. It's like trying to figure out who's the most disgusting outta Oprah, Rosie O'Donell, Sigourney Weaver, Glenn Close and Kurt Warner's wife.

Rosie O'Donell wins in a landslide

Remember that most likely no one is untouchable, but it would take a lot of gold to pry certain players away. I think Garland is one of those players. My hope is he isn't going anywhere. It amazes me of the trade rumors that have the Sox trading away all six starting pitchers at one time or another and all we get back is minor league talent that may or may not make it to the bigs. remember all the pitching talent we traded away to get experienced players for the stretch drive. How many of them have developed into stars? It seesm trading away our starters for possibles is going against the grain.

I really don't think there is one starter who should be off limits. Every one of them has some issues and some huge quesion marks. Everyone of them is also capable of making you regret trading them. If it were me, Vazquez would be the guy I would want to dump, followed by Garcia, Contreras, Garland and Buerhle, but I would trade Buerhle in a heartbeat if the price was right. I wouldn't mind seeing KW trade 2 in the same deal and raid a team's minor league system, while freeing up some cash to sign a free agent.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
Based on what? Wins?

Somebody please break it down for me. I could make a strong argument that Garcia was better in 2006.

Garcia spent the year experiencing the deadarm of two 200-plus inning + playoffs + WBC and wound up being insignificantly weaker than Garland in ERA. I feel that Freddy is seriously underrated by Sox fans.

Just the fact that this conversation has the words 'Ranger pitching prospects' makes me wonder. The Rangers have been looking for starting pitching for what seems like forever. If they have some guys down on the farm that are worth a damn i don't see why they would give up 2 for 1.

QUOTE(juddling @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 06:22 PM)
Just the fact that this conversation has the words 'Ranger pitching prospects' makes me wonder. The Rangers have been looking for starting pitching for what seems like forever. If they have some guys down on the farm that are worth a damn i don't see why they would give up 2 for 1.

Agreed .If we were talking about Mets/Spanks young pitching prospects then MAYBE it would be something to consider but since were talking about Texas I for one am not too concerned .

I saw the #s on Danks,Diamond,Hurley and Volquez and their #s are good FOR MINOR LEAGUERS .If this rumor is true and these prospects are so great then why isnt Texas tring a few out in the rotation (especially one of the weaker rotations in the AL) ?I remember they used Volquez out of the pen and Mr.Magoo has a better chance of throwing strikes.

Who was the last great pitcher to come out of the Rangers farm system ?I cant remember any recently .

If you could get Hurley, Danks and Arias for Garland, I would probably do that.

I'm a JG backer, but there's always the question with his peripherals, in terms he doesn't strike out a lot of hitters, and his control really needs to spot on to succeed so those 1st pitches don't miss the plate.

Don't think you'd get the same type of package for Garcia as you would for Garland.

The reason Texas hasn't tried them yet Sweeney, is because Hurley just made it to AA at the end of this season, Danks had his 1st season in AAA IIRC, and they have a lot of fringe starters types such as Robinson Tejada.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
If you could get Hurley, Danks and Arias for Garland, I would probably do that.

I'm a JG backer, but there's always the question with his peripherals, in terms he doesn't strike out a lot of hitters, and his control really needs to spot on to succeed so those 1st pitches don't miss the plate.

Don't think you'd get the same type of package for Garcia as you would for Garland.

The reason Texas hasn't tried them yet Sweeney, is because Hurley just made it to AA at the end of this season, Danks had his 1st season in AAA IIRC, and they have a lot of fringe starters types such as Robinson Tejada.

I see what your saying ,I guess I should have worded it differently .If these guys are highly regarded prospects why would you trade them ?I understand that Texass wants to win for 07 but Garland cant pitch for them every day either .

I forgot that a few of those guys were in AA last year .I will say that of the guys I mentioned Danks does look like a hell of a prospect .

I think he would have to be a part of any deal for one of our starters .

I just cant understand why KW would consider this with 3 08 FA starters on our staff .I understand that because of Garlands youth and contract he has more value but I think in order to do this I would have to have Danks,Young and maybe another prospect to make that deal happen .

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
I see what your saying ,I guess I should have worded it differently .If these guys are highly regarded prospects why would you trade them ?I understand that Texass wants to win for 07 but Garland cant pitch for them every day either .

Maybe because like some people on this board they want the proven player and don't want to risk it with prospect.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
Maybe because like some people on this board they want the proven player and don't want to risk it with prospect.

I can understand that they want to win but they need more than just Garland .Either way Im not too concerned about KW trading Garland its just something else for all of us to talk about .

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 16, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)
And it was all but done from what I've seen.

Well lets not forget about Linebrink from SDP last season too .It seems like if theres a trade rumor being talked about with KW then its prob. not going to happen .Thats Kenny for ya .I sure as hell didnt here any rumors about todays trade til after it happened .

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)

I forgot that a few of those guys were in AA last year .I will say that of the guys I mentioned Danks does look like a hell of a prospect .

I think he would have to be a part of any deal for one of our starters .

I just cant understand why KW would consider this with 3 08 FA starters on our staff .I understand that because of Garlands youth and contract he has more value but I think in order to do this I would have to have Danks,Young and maybe another prospect to make that deal happen .

Well in Texas's situation, they will probably lose Vince Padilla in FA, along with Kip Wells and Adam Eaton. So that's a few SP that they are likely gonna hav to replace. Hence why they are thinking of trading some of their prospects to get a proven starter, because it's hard to get one for fair market value in FA because of the demand for it.

You have to remember, the reason we would trade for young SP prospects is because we would want them to step in for 2008 if a Buehrle or Garcia bolted. Hurley and Danks should both be ready to contribute for 2008 along with Lance Broadway.

And then you could trade a 2nd starter like Vazquez to the Mets for a package around Pelfrey, and try to sign a SP in FA like Batista on an inflated short - term deal.