Alfonso Soriano signs w/ Cubs

whitesoxin'

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
I agree that Hendry needs to win now, and this move just proves the urgency of his position. Nonetheless, its a stupid move. If you are going to throw money around like this, why don't you just give it to a Zito and/or Schmidt? The cost for those two would be ridiculous, but then again, either one by themselves would make more sense in regards to winning. Not to mention, you wouldn't have to give them 8 year contracts.

I agree with all of this. I'm just looking at it from Hendry's point of view. I don't think the guy is an idiot. He realizes that he overpaid, especially in years. But like I said, they need to win right now. The Red Sox, White Sox, and Cardinals winning the last 3 years makes him even more desperate. I think he will gladly take his lumps that will come with this ridiculous contract in exchange for a World Series title.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
The Trib's own website is saying that its 8 years. They also say that he'll be batting leadoff and playing center.

Trib Article

I know, but their radio station is supposedly saying something else. I figured I'd point out the other report, even if it is only one guy.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
I agree with all of this. I'm just looking at it from Hendry's point of view. I don't think the guy is an idiot. He realizes that he overpaid, especially in years. But like I said, they need to win right now. The Red Sox, White Sox, and Cardinals winning the last 3 years makes him even more desperate. I think he will gladly take his lumps that will come with this ridiculous contract in exchange for a World Series title.

And I will agree with you on all of this. And the mere fact that Hendry made the move should silence some of those who have criticized their motives. I'm just saying, that he could have used this money and done more with it to put his team in a better position to win it all. Yes, it was a move to win. Just a misguided one.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
Hendry also knows there is a pretty good chance that he isn't around when Soriano's deal becomes a really big problem....

True.

So what do you guys think of this lineup?

Soriano

Derosa

Lee

Ramirez

Jones?

Barrett

Murton?

Izturis

That's just my guess as of right now. Obviously this will change if guys like Murton or Jones are traded. That's a pretty good lineup, though. It should feast on the garbage pitching that is the NL central.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
I have a hard time believing that. If that really is the case, then it turns out to be a pretty solid deal, at least in my eyes.

It all depends, if those are vesting options then this could be pretty damn brutal. You have to think that Soriano would only agree to such a deal if there was a clause in there that could make a few of those option years gauranteed.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
True.

Soriano

Derosa

Lee

Ramirez

Jones?

Barrett

Murton?

Izturis

That's just my guess as of right now. Obviously this will change if guys like Murton or Jones are traded. That's a pretty good lineup, though. It should feast on the garbage pitching that is the NL central.

If they stay healthy, that is a very nice NL line-up. Its pretty spectacular for an AL line-up as well. It will be interesting to see who Hendry brings in to pitch.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
It all depends, if those are vesting options then this could be pretty damn brutal. You have to think that Soriano would only agree to such a deal if there was a clause in there that could make a few of those option years gauranteed.

The Tribune won't own the team those final couple of years, so they couldn't care less. I heard Trump wants to buy the Cubs and build a new stadium close to downtown. I wonder what the sheep would do then.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
The Tribune won't own the team those final couple of years, so they couldn't care less. I heard Trump wants to buy the Cubs and build a new stadium close to downtown. I wonder what the sheep would do then.

Why would they have to tell them they moved. The eldery Iowan or wrigleyville drunk can barely see anyways. Just put cardboard cutouts, and have some piped in sound and the natives wont know the difference. Its not like with the 1908 based technology they have in the park that anyone will be able to refute it.

lol, The guy is probably 34 years old and they signed him for 8 years... I dont care, im a Cards fan AND WE ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)

Mark Cuban wants to buy them...

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
Terrible signing, but the Cubs are in great position in their division now. I can't wait for Cubs fans to start planning their World Series parade.

Not unless Soriano can pitch. They still have one of the worst rotations in baseball, and as of now, Neal Cotts is in it. You can't even win the NL Central that way.

I'd be shocked if the purported contract was correct.

90mil/6yrs is fairly generous within the current market. I can't believe another club was unwilling to match this, and the supposed 26milper option years.

As ridiculous as it may sound, if those two years are indeed options, I believe atleast one may entirely vested. If not, what would stop any ballclub from including ridiculous figures approaching the end of the contract? Anyone can guarantee Soriano 15 million and add two club/player options worth 46 million.

Allowing Soriano the option before his 37 birthday to seek an a more promising contract, or remain for 23 million, will be his. The 8th and final year, as I would imagine, requires both the validation of player and club.

Hey, if I'm wrong then the Cubs sure negotiated a fine deal. My ass they'll pay Soriano 23 million in either option season unless his production exceeds even his best season.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
I'd be shocked if the purported contract was correct.

90mil/6yrs is fairly generous within the current market. I can't believe another club was unwilling to match this, and the supposed 26milper option years.

As ridiculous as it may sound, if those two years are indeed options, I believe atleast one may entirely vested. If not, what would stop any ballclub from including ridiculous figures approaching the end of the contract? Anyone can guarantee Soriano 15 million and add two club/player options worth 46 million.

Allowing Soriano the option before his 37 birthday to seek an a more promising contract, or remain for 23 million, will be his. The 8th and final year, as I would imagine, requires both the validation of player and club.

Hey, if I'm wrong then the Cubs sure negotiated a fine deal. My ass they'll pay Soriano 23 million in either option season unless his production exceeds even his best season.

Flash with 2 option years, one of the or both of them have to be mutual options or at least one player option.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 02:33 PM)
No way is Hendry done in the FA market though or in the trade market trying to improve his starting rotation.

Exactly. The budget should've been larger for years. They can still afford more. So, in that sense, it's not all that crazy. Well, I mean, it's kinda crazy, but still . . .

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
True.

Soriano

Derosa

Lee

Ramirez

Jones?

Barrett

Murton?

Izturis

Well, among other things, I think that this signing can be Aramis Insurance. The guy is always more productive when the players around him are better.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
Why would they have to tell them they moved. The eldery Iowan or wrigleyville drunk can barely see anyways. Just put cardboard cutouts, and have some piped in sound and the natives wont know the difference. Its not like with the 1908 based technology they have in the park that anyone will be able to refute it.

Wonderful post! :D I love this thread. The only flaw I can find in your logic is fans might notice the increase in speed.

Man, I understand why the Cubs did it, and it's not an ungodly risk, but that is an awful lot of money for yet another guy who is coming off of a career year and who is not exactly a spring chicken in age.

Let's see, looking at the NL Central, what do we have. Cardinals, with a potentially very good offense if Edmunds and Rolen can stay healthy or they find another outfielder, and a damn good defense. The Cubs, with a potentially very good offense if no one regresses, but a potentially godawful defense. The Reds, with a very good offense and an improving defense. The Brewers, with a young offense high on potential. The Astros, who have pitching, but desperately need to sign Carlos Lee and to have Ensberg return to his 2005 form.

Someone in that division has to find some young pitching. Or some experienced pitching. Or something. The Cubs, Cardinals, Reds, Brewers and Astros all have exactly 1 quality, proven potential #1 guy, but then after that, it looks like a wasteland.

QUOTE(Chisox_10 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
Prior can end up coming back strong.

Wade Miller could be good

Wood makes a strong bullpen even stronger.

You just named three guys who combined for 85 innings last year. You've got two surgeries and I don't know whats up with Prior. They've also got Zambrano with his dancing ulnar nerve. They are assembling a team which, save Derek Lee, will absolutly not help the pitching. Murtin, Soriano and Jones make for a brutal outfield. Erroramis is a head case on many levels, Izzzyturas no longer has a MLB shortstop's arm since his surgery. I don't think I've seen Derosa play second, but that's understandable since in 9 major league seasons his managers have seen fit to allow him to appear in only 114 games there. Mary Barrett is a left fielder playing catcher.

The pitchers are going to have to throw a great game to give up 3-4 runs. All this added pressure will wear them down and kill them.

The grub are like the old song:

Wishin' and hopin'

And thinkin' and prayin'

Plannin' and dreamin'

QUOTE(Chisox_10 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:18 PM)
Prior can end up coming back strong.

Wade Miller could be good

Wood makes a strong bullpen even stronger.

Now the only problem with your theory, is that how are they going to afford these now that they just signed Alfonso.

towelcolorslg.jpg

They are going to need a s***load of these to keep their spring training throwing sessions in full check.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
My buddy who is a Cub fan thinks Soriano will play right field and that they are looking at Drew or Lugo for center. Jones would be traded.

My idiiot cub fan brother just called me to tell me that they are going to be printing up WS tickets now. Before I hung up on him in laughter, I told him well if you want to see a WS ticket come over to my house, I have the one that I used in Game 2 of the 05 series hanging up autographed in my basement.

Freakin wierdos.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
They are going to need a s***load of these to keep their spring training throwing sessions in full check.

My idiiot cub fan brother just called me to tell me that they are going to be printing up WS tickets now. Before I hung up on him in laughter, I told him well if you want to see a WS ticket come over to my house, I have the one that I used in Game 2 of the 05 series hanging up autographed in my basement.

Freakin wierdos.

The sad thing is, depending on injuries, based on last season, the Cubs do have a real shot in the NL Central, and as we all saw, if a pitching staff gets hot at the right time, all it takes is getting into the playoffs for things to go right.

I'm still waiting to see what team in that division manages to piece together a pitching staff. The Cubs' lineup isn't all that much more potent than the one in St. Louis, if both teams stay healthy, nor is it that much more potent than the Reds. It's a lot better than the Stros, but the Stros could still add Lee and solve a ton of problems, and who knows what the Brewers are going to grow into.

That division is going to be decided by pitching.

Frankly Hendry just kissed top of the rotation pitchers bye bye to maybe increase his offense. Soriano had a career year and will make more money than Beltran? You gotta be kidding me. Good luck with Gil Meche as your #2 starter. Also Pie is obviously trade bait at this point as well.

per ESPN

If completed, Soriano's deal would be the fifth-largest total package given to a major league player, behind Alex Rodriguez ($252 million for 10 years), Derek Jeter ($189 million for 10 years), Manny Ramirez ($160 for eight years) and Todd Helton ($141.5 million for 11 years).

I dont know about you guys, but I dont think Soriano is even in the same league as those guys.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
Frankly Hendry just kissed top of the rotation pitchers bye bye to maybe increase his offense. Soriano had a career year and will make more money than Beltran? You gotta be kidding me. Good luck with Gil Meche as your #2 starter. Also Pie is obviously trade bait at this point as well.

So, I got the impression that Pie's trade value seemed to decline significantly last year. He only put up a .793 OPS at Iowa, so his AA year sort of looks like it might be higher than he should project.

I'll bet that Hendry tries to move him for pitching, and I'll also bet he'll regret not having done so last offseason when his value seemed higher.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
I dont know about you guys, but I dont think Soriano is even in the same league as those guys.

I'd take him over Jeter and Helton at those prices.