Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think that something is up with Garcia. Keep in mind, he has family ties to Ozzie and I am sure Ozzie along with Kenny know a lot more then we know about Garcia and his situation. Either way, I have faith in KW that there is another deal or two to come to improve this team. As it stands right now, we have kept the same exact team but replaced an 18 game winner with an unproved pitcher in McCarthy. With the way this board boast McCarthy, he should be a 22 game winner so we would essentially end the season with 94 wins!

I really think that something is up with Garcia. Keep in mind, he has family ties to Ozzie and I am sure Ozzie along with Kenny know a lot more then we know about Garcia and his situation. Either way, I have faith in KW that there is another deal or two to come to improve this team. As it stands right now, we have kept the same exact team but replaced an 18 game winner with an unproved pitcher in McCarthy. With the way this board boast McCarthy, he should be a 22 game winner so we would essentially end the season with 94 wins!

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:07 AM)
If the Rays traded Cantu, Iwanura could move to 2nd base with Fields coming in at 3rd base, so it'scertainly possible.

But it may not even be Rocco Baldelli we're going after. Has anyone thought of the possibility of acquiring B.JUpton to play in the OF instead? Could he be the leadoff hitter we need?

I'd rather have Rocco than Upton. Rocco's at least proven he can hit the ball in the majors.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:05 PM)
Even worse. His health concerns me and crappy OBP scares me even more.

we still have 5 starting pitchers this year and 2 more maybe 3 including Broadway ready for next year to replace other pitchers we can't afford to resign.............

Edited by forrestg

Rotoworld take below

ESPN's Jayson Stark says the Phillies have acquired Freddy Garcia from the White Sox for Gio Gonzalez and Gavin Floyd.

No Aaron Rowand? Gonzalez was a White Sox prospect until a year ago, when he was sent to the Phillies in the Jim Thome deal. Gonzalez is probably one of the 30-35 best pitching prospects in baseball, but Floyd doesn't have a lot of value at the moment and we're stunned that this is the best the White Sox could do for Garcia. Dec. 6 - 10:32 pm et

I agree KW got fleeced!

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:05 AM)
I think that very well could happen and no way would the Rays turn that down, imo. We hold onto Gio who may very well make his major league debut out of our pen this year as we continue to groom him. That or we may be about to resign Buehrle.

They'd turn it down, and fast. Every rumor mentions that they want nothing but pitching for Baldelli. They're not gonna accept any deal that involves Floyd as the best pitcher acquired.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
I don't understand people saying this trade makes us worse for next year or we're now no more than a 3rd place team, especially when those are the same people who think BMac belonged in the rotation. Now, they'll have BMac (the young stud as many of you put it) in the rotation and they'll be doing it cheaply. The rest of the positions are the same.

Quite frankly, I felt if we kept last year's team, we'd still be one of the top, if not the top team in the majors. That's not being a homer, that's just being realistic. No one is doing anything over the top.

We at the very least are making a lateral move with more trading chips/chips for the future.

Well I said both but never said BMAC should be in the rotation. I am not impressed with his hanging change up at all. So I really don't see how this trade made us better. We took a potential 18-20 game winner out of the rotation and received two guys who may not contribute at all. Who will make up for 18 wins? In addition, I just cannot understand why we couldn't wait a bit longer and gotten more in return. Thats my issue. We still have the same holes we had yesterday. Nothing else has changed, and yes we are a third place team. Two other teams were better last year, and we did not yet get stronger this year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
I'd rather have Rocco than Upton. Rocco's at least proven he can hit the ball in the majors.

If you could acquire Upton for less though, I think it's worth looking into.

They're both risky acquisitions, but I still think Upton could be a possible future stud. But then Baldelli could explode power wise in the future as well.

So hopefully KW has Andrew Friedman on his speed dial right now. :D

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:05 AM)
Because that's around the range of his average fastball. You should know better than anyone how scouting services always seem to mention the highest velocity possible, when in reality, the average is a few mph slower. BTW, people might want to close their eyes when they look up Floyd's minor league numbers the last two years.

We're all seeing the same thing. Mediocre K/9 numbers, bad numbers the past season or two.

Floyd is a project. Kenny is certainly showing a lot of faith in Cooper here.

Gonzalez is still pretty close, though, to a top pitching prospect. I know his ERA was right around four-and-a-half, but the K/9 numbers remain excellent, and he was still very young for his league. He's not in the league of a Pelfrey or a Bailey, but he's (IMO) in that next tier.

We're getting two reasonably 'powerful' arms here. And $10 million bucks.

QUOTE(ExpatNYC @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:10 AM)
I'm confused by this move. I like the idea of getting two arms for one. But these two? I have to believe KW is going to move one more pitcher. Vazquez?

We better not be trading anymore starting pitchers. I'm just very confused about our bullpen....it's arguably weaker now than it was to end last season. We need more depth in the bullpen, as it's crazy to expect MacDougal to stay healthy.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
So if we end up trading Floyd and Gio for Baldelli, how do people feel if it ends up being Garcia for Baldelli?

Are they happier than when this original deal went down?

And what does that mean for Brian Anderson? Does he get traded to the Rangers for Nick Massett and a SP spect, or to the Marlins possibly for some of their young pitching?

Possibilities a plenty.

Sure, if all it takes to acquire Baldelli is Gonzalez and Floyd. Or Anderson for Massett and an additional prospect.

Do you honesetly believe this would be the case? I don't know in either circumstance after today's debacle.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Well I said both but never said BMAC should be in the rotation. I am not impressed with his hanging change up at all. So I really don't see how this trade made us better. We took a potential 18-20 game winner out of the rotation and received two guys who may not contribute at all. Who will make up for 18 wins? In addition, I just cannot understand why we couldn't wait a bit longer and gotten more in return. Thats my issue. We still have the same holes we had yesterday. Nothing else has changed, and yes we are a third place team. Two other teams were better last year, and we did not yet get stronger this year.

Franciso Liriano=Nothing I guess.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
We're all seeing the same thing. Mediocre K/9 numbers, bad numbers the past season or two.

Floyd is a project. Kenny is certainly showing a lot of faith in Cooper here.

Gonzalez is still pretty close, though, to a top pitching prospect. I know his ERA was right around four-and-a-half, but the K/9 numbers remain excellent, and he was still very young for his league. He's not in the league of a Pelfrey or a Bailey, but he's (IMO) in that next tier.

We're getting two reasonably 'powerful' arms here. And $10 million bucks.

Keith, what are we going to use the 10 mill on though? That was off the books next year anyways and right now there is absolutely nothing to make this team better in the free agent market.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
And you don't know that he wont win 18 games next season.

Your right, lets trade dye and go with sweeney. maybe he can hit 40 hrs for us next year. My point is that garcia has a proven track record and Mcarthy does not, neither does the crap we got in return. Love Mcarthy all you want but he has proven nothing.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:11 AM)
We better not be trading anymore starting pitchers. I'm just very confused about our bullpen....it's arguably weaker now than it was to end last season. We need more depth in the bullpen, as it's crazy to expect MacDougal to stay healthy.

Not to mention that the Tigers have gotten considerably better with Sheffield. We seem to be moving laterally, if not slightly forward/backward.