Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Sure, if all it takes to acquire Baldelli is Gonzalez and Floyd. Or Anderson for Massett and an additional prospect.

Do you honesetly believe this would be the case? I don't know in either circumstance after today's debacle.

The 2nd deal is probably more likely to occur I would say. If both would happen though, we've upgraded at CF, acquired a couple of pitching spects who could go into the bullpen for a SP and a young CF who's struggled so far at the major league level.

Whether that's a win I don't know, but make up your own mind on that one.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:15 AM)
Not to mention that the Tigers have gotten considerably better with Sheffield. We seem to be moving laterally, if not slightly forward/backward.

I still think the Indians are going to be a major contender next season.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
Keith, what are we going to use the 10 mill on though? That was off the books next year anyways and right now there is absolutely nothing to make this team better in the free agent market.

the 10 million can be used for a trade, or through free agency, likely a trade....just dont forget KW turned the 10 mil he saved from dealing carlos lee into iguchi AJ and el duque.....im not sayin hes gonna get that much in this market, but still 10 mil helps a ton to add parts

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
Keith, what are we going to use the 10 mill on though? That was off the books next year anyways and right now there is absolutely nothing to make this team better in the free agent market.

I think we will hear about Mark Buehrle's fat contract extension pretty soon.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
In some ways, it seemed like KW was in panic mode tonight trying to get a deal done after the Schmidt/Lilly signings. On Comcast before, he said there were several intriguing offers, but this was the one he liked the most.

Thats what really worries me. Did he not want to trade with certain teams. Did he not want Freddy to end up with another team in the A.L. If this was the best deal on the table I will be shocked.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
Not to mention that the Tigers have gotten considerably better with Sheffield. We seem to be moving laterally, if not slightly forward/backward.

The Tigers are going to have some of the same problems with their rotation in 07 as we did in 06. There honestly wasn't/isn't that much out there to make this team better than it already was. If our pitching staff pitches close to what we expect then we're again the best team in the division. That all being said, we could have got more for Freddy and that's what pisses me off about this.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
In some ways, it seemed like KW was in panic mode tonight trying to get a deal done after the Schmidt/Lilly signings. On Comcast before, he said there were several intriguing offers, but this was the one he liked the most.

Gavin Floyd had one bad half season. He's also 23. I think a 23 year old who is good enough to make the show and has a plus fastball and curve deserves a little bit more than one half season (in a bandbox might I add) to prove himself capable of being a good-great ML starter.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:14 AM)

Good question.

Everyone is talking about acquiring a hitter, but I think Williams still might have his eye on a pitcher. I'm not smart enough to say who that is, but maybe he still has his eye on Lackey or Santana from Anahiem. Maybe they balked at Garcia and wanted someone else.

The extra $10 million does confuse me, though, unless they go out and ink Bonds in the next hour, but that's just me 'dreaming', as I doubt both JR and Kenny would say that Bonds isn't coming here only to ink him less than 24 hours later.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
The Tigers are going to have some of the same problems with their rotation in 07 as we did in 06. There honestly wasn't/isn't that much out there to make this team better than it already was. If our pitching staff pitches close to what we expect then we're again the best team in the division. That all being said, we could have got more for Freddy and that's what pisses me off about this.

So, because the White Sox rotation decided to take a year off of baseball, the same thing will happen with the Tigers?

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:14 PM)
Your right, lets trade dye and go with sweeney. maybe he can hit 40 hrs for us next year. My point is that garcia has a proven track record and Mcarthy does not, neither does the crap we got in return. Love Mcarthy all you want but he has proven nothing.

Can we stop using number of wins to evaluate pitchers? Perhaps we can use more telling stats, like WHIP, ERA, etc.

Or salary.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:17 AM)
If the Phils could have picked up Baldelli, Upton or Crawford as is being mentioned here for crap, they would have done so.

I'm very dissapointed with Kenny Williams, and this isn't the first time I have been this offeason. Sickening.

Why would the Phillies want Baldelli? They needed pitching, and if anything, they're looking to get rid of some outfielders.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
The 2nd deal is probably more likely to occur I would say. If both would happen though, we've upgraded at CF, acquired a couple of pitching spects who could go into the bullpen for a SP and a young CF who's struggled so far at the major league level.

Whether that's a win I don't know, but make up your own mind on that one.

Dbaho, who's the person responsible for the quotation in your signature? Wonder if they hold the same opinion now that he's a member of our team again....

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
Well, he just got two solid trading chips in young pitching and saved 10 million bucks. I think that he has something else cooked up.

Yeah, exactly. I haven't seen a White Sox offseason get this much hate since the 2004-2005 one. I mean, we were so damn stupid that offseason, KW is obviously clueless and this is another example.

In all seriousness, this is a classic case of fans not understanding the value of their own player and overvaluing him. Freddy is a 30 year old pitcher with a ton of mileage, decreasing velocity, and a 10 million dollar salary. What exactly are we going to get for that, Carl Crawford??

However, this organization isn't in the business of prospects, so I would assume that one or both of these guys are going to get launched for an outfielder.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
So, because the White Sox rotation decided to take a year off of baseball, the same thing will happen with the Tigers?

No, but Kenny Rogers is going to start declining one day or another, I still don't think Robertson is a good pitcher, who knows how Maroth will come back and Zach Minor is a bum. The only two pitchers I'd have confidence in if I'm a Tigers fan are Bonderman and Verlander.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
Good question.

Everyone is talking about acquiring a hitter, but I think Williams still might have his eye on a pitcher. I'm not smart enough to say who that is, but maybe he still has his eye on Lackey or Santana from Anahiem. Maybe they balked at Garcia and wanted someone else.

The extra $10 million does confuse me, though, unless they go out and ink Bonds in the next hour, but that's just me 'dreaming', as I doubt both JR and Kenny would say that Bonds isn't coming here only to ink him less than 24 hours later.

What about a 3 way with the Angels and Dbacks that net us Santana or Lackey and Chad Tracy...Angels getting Crede and something (maybe even a Haeger)...Dbacks getting Broadway or something like that.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:22 AM)
No, but Kenny Rogers is going to start declining one day or another, I still don't think Robertson is a good pitcher, who knows how Maroth will come back and Zach Minor is a bum. The only two pitchers I'd have confidence in if I'm a Tigers fan are Bonderman and Verlander.

Andrew Miller and Ledezma could be solid.

QUOTE(dmbjeff @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
why didnt they make this a 3 team deal if they were gonna turn around and trade floyd, gio or whoever else

Didn't someone else mention the Gio will not become official as the PTBNL until after the rule 5 draft because he is not on the current 40 man. If this is true they can not flip Gio until the draft is over. Right?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)

I agree and they keep talking like Bonderman may get run out of town soon enough (which would be absolutely stupid). Its too bad cause if there was one arm I'd be after, I'd do all I could to get Bonderman (if in fact the Tigers are really considering moving him).

And I'm not talking about the White Sox perspective (since the Tigers aren't about to deal with Chicago).