Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
In the Rule 5?? I wouldn't count on us being stupid enough to let that happen.

No, not in the rule 5. I just wouldn't be surprised that if once he's officially a member of the Sox he's shipped out somewhere else for an outfielder.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:38 AM)
And fathom said it all. That article on our future is scary.

Suddenly we've become the Marlins again. All about saving money.

My god. After drawing all those millions of fans this year.

What has happened in the last 24 hours?

We've become a small market team again??? Sad, very sad.

Oops this got added to my last post; wanted to make sure it was seen.

It's too early to tell for sure what we're going to do financially, but the writing has been on the wall about the philosophy the second Soriano signed his contract.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)
No, not in the rule 5. I just wouldn't be surprised that if once he's officially a member of the Sox he's shipped out somewhere else for an outfielder.

Ok, you nearly sent me into the panic mode the rest of these people are in. Thanks for clarification.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:40 AM)
Holy crap...hold me I'm scared, you prospect people may win out and the Sox may very well suffer.

Count me in the non prospect club, basically due to the fact I don't believe we have the slightest clue how to develop young players.

QUOTE(S720 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
Fathom, after reading the article, do you sense it as much as I am that we are witnessing the beginning of the sell-off (salary dump)? And it will be gradually. I truly hope that I am wrong!

the article tells me kenny williams is an intelligent man...it means that in an ever increasingly ridiculous market, you must fill certain spots with guys who will be as productive as a guy like garcia(mccarthy) internally for cheap. its nothing billy beane hasnt been doing in the recent past

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)
I'm talking about that Trib article saying we're going to let all our starters go in the next

2 years.

That ain't being the Marlins?

The Trib is just using the trade as anti-Sox propaganda. I would be shocked if Buehrle, McCarthy, or Garland go anywhere. Vasquez depends on a lot on next year, and Contreras is 57 years old.

Use your head people, please.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:42 AM)
the article tells me kenny williams is an intelligent man...it means that in an ever increasingly ridiculous market, you must fill certain spots with guys who will be as productive as a guy like garcia(mccarthy) internally for cheap. its nothing billy beane hasnt been doing in the recent past

KW better start drafting better and developing his players better. However, we shouldn't aspire to act like a small market team like the A's.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:43 PM)
KW better start drafting better and developing his players better. However, we shouldn't aspire to act like a small market team like the A's.

certainly not....but KW may just have 100 mil to operate with as opposed to beanes 50....as far as player development, people really sell teh sox organization short as far as that goes....at least in my opinion

On a sidenote...I want to see what happens first. I think if we did move Mark, we'd have tons of money freed up to be able to acquire someone like Vernon Wells for some of our prospects and hopefully keep one or two of them and we'd have the money to sign him if the club wanted to.

However I think Buehrle either agrees to an extension quickly or he will be on his way to New York.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
Well, this article is downright scary.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

If KW isn't bluffing, things are about to get very ugly. So much for extending the deals on our starters.

There you go, like I said, the rebuilding is starting now. Lets see how this affects tickets next year. back to the old plan.

If KW isn't bluffing, things are about to get very ugly. So much for extending the deals on our starters.

Thank you fathom for taking my anger off this trade and putting it on the whole enitre White Sox organization. This "new" plan is just crazy. It makes the Sox look like whiners insted of grinders. The market is too expensive this year so lets plan on trading our entire starting staff. This is crazy.

I am going to have to collect my thought before I can comment more on the Phil Rogers article. Talk about a team that is crying because they will possible have to pay a little more money for pitching now. They win a World Series - Attendence is up - The Sox own the city - And they are going to start all over again. SICK.

Its so sad that after the White Sox win the WS and the fans pick it up and sell out season tickets and they draw nearly 3 million, that money is still the issue. It always will be. Someone has a quote from KW in their signature, I believe its ss2k6 about mindset. It appears its all a bunch of BS.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:44 AM)
Why is the Trib propaganda?

That writer is very fair, he's nothing like Moronotti.

He said he asked KW flat out if all those starters would be out and he said yes.

I wouldn't shoot the trib messenger.

And it explains the panic mode that KW went into after the Schmidt/Lilly signings.

So what if KW had a chat with Buerhle and Garcia and both of them said, thanks but no thanks I want to make megabucks next year. So getting one year out of the two of them, and then neat sandwich draft picks is so much better than ditching them now and getting something in return that can help us be competitive for the next 4 years. The people that are saying go for it this year without thinking about next year, are the same people who said I dont care if the sox suck for 5 years as long as they win one championship in my lifetime. Well guess what, I was still greedy after the one championship as you are all now.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:45 AM)
There you go, like I said, the rebuilding is starting now. Lets see how this affects tickets next year. back to the old plan.

Even if KW is bluffing, this is terrible press. Especially considering the Cubs are spending so much money, this really looks bad for the Sox (to the non-smart fan who just bases their opinion on what they read in the papers).

Well if KW is indeed serious about this overhaul (call it rebuliding if you want, whatever), he's either going to be correct, or every one of us on this board will be able to purchase seats behind the dugouts come 2009, if we wish. I fear the 14,000 crowd.

Yeah, this could just be posturing, but if it isn't, and we're wrong...we're going to lose all the momentum we've built up with this attempt at having a dynasty, stealing fans in this city, etc.

I realize you can't just throw money at ever player you have and resign them...but I can't say the article made me feel all warm inside.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 05:47 AM)
Hopefully KW isn't serious about the rebuilding crap....just when you have the city by the balls you don't let go for this kind of bs.

Considering KW's less than adequate ability at getting equal talent when he trades veterans, I hope he's not our GM if we do go into a rebuilding mode. However, as others have mentioned, it's pathetic to even be discussing this after the last two years and the attendance we've brought in.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 6, 2006 -> 09:46 PM)
So what if KW had a chat with Buerhle and Garcia and both of them said, thanks but no thanks I want to make megabucks next year. So getting one year out of the two of them, and then neat sandwich draft picks is so much better than ditching them now and getting something in return that can help us be competitive for the next 4 years. The people that are saying go for it this year without thinking about next year, are the same people who said I dont care if the sox suck for 5 years as long as they win one championship in my lifetime. Well guess what, I was still greedy after the one championship as you are all now.

If thats the case, than we deal Buehrle for Pelfrey and Heilman or Pelfrey & Milledge or swing him for Sanchez, Melky and someone else from the Yanks. Than you end up having Jose, Garland and Vaz in your rotation as the veteran 3 and than see what sticks with the other two knowing that Floyd, Bmac, Pelfrey are all potential top of the line rotation guys and behind that you'd have Gio/Broadway/Haeger (two of which are again at least middle of the rotation and in Gio's case potential #2).

As long as Kenny spends that extra 20 million saved on finding a way to fill a couple holes we still have offensively I'd live with it.