another "great" Tribune article

SoxFan562004

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

This article completely ignores that the Sox will likely have a top 10 payroll again this year, and acts like they will just let everyone walk and not sign any veterans ever again.... This article really ticks me off.

I just expect this in the local media all year, Cubs spent a ton of money in the offseason, so that means they dramatically improved and made the right moves, Sox didn't (although, as stated above, they'll still have a strong payroll) so they will suck this year.

(Mods, if I missed this link somewhere else, please merge)

Edited by SoxFan562004

Guess he could have mentioned where they are with the payroll currently, but this seemed fair and objective compared to the garbage that Morrissey's been saying. Brings out what KW's line of thinking is - preparing for now and keeping 3-4 years from now in mind. The writer doesnt just rip in there with opinions such as 'here comes the fire sale'. You're right on with the general drift of Cubune writers, I just dont see it in this article

The article is not that bad, but it is funny how they put a spin on "only having 3 players under contract in 2009."

That's actually incorrect since MacDougal just signed an extension. It is 4 players under contract, but another 10-12 players will still be under the Sox control (Arb/Res) in 2009. That is 12-16 players that are currently on the roster, and that may go up with Buehrle, Dye, and Iguchi still out there for 2007 contracts. Also, 3 players that don't have contracts in 09 are bench players (Cintron, Mack, and Pods).

FA after 2007 - Dye, Iguchi, Buehrle

FA after 2008 - Cintron, Crede, Garland, Pierzynski, Pods, Uribe, Vazquez

It looks like next offseason will be more important than this offseason with several positional players and starters in their last contract year.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)
The article is not that bad, but it is funny how they put a spin on "only having 3 players under contract in 2009."

That's actually incorrect since MacDougal just signed an extension. It is 4 players under contract, but another 10-12 players will still be under the Sox control (Arb/Res) in 2009. That is 12-16 players that are currently on the roster, and that may go up with Buehrle, Dye, and Iguchi still out there for 2007 contracts. Also, 3 players that don't have contracts in 09 are bench players (Cintron, Mack, and Pods).

FA after 2007 - Dye, Iguchi, Buehrle

FA after 2008 - Cintron, Crede, Garland, Pierzynski, Pods, Uribe, Vazquez

It looks like next offseason will be more important than this offseason with several positional players and starters in their last contract year.

probably that is what stuck in my craw out of it the most, kind of a silly spin IMO, that and failing to mention where they are at, and likely will be at in the grand scheme of payroll

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
It's amazing how much everyone is overreacting when everyone knew that a starting pitcher was going to be traded this offseason.

Not to mention that we set ourselves up nicely to plug in guys at the bottom of the rotation for the next few years.

It's amazing how much everyone is overreacting when everyone knew that a starting pitcher was going to be traded this offseason.

It is because everyone assumed that when trading this SP we would be getting back at least one player who would upgrade one of the areas of need for the 2007 major league team. Unfortunately, we didn't.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
It is because everyone assumed that when trading this SP we would be getting back at least one player who would upgrade one of the areas of need for the 2007 major league team. Unfortunately, we didn't.

Eh, a lot of the rumors being thrown around were about bringing young pitching in.

Eh, a lot of the rumors being thrown around were about bringing young pitching in.

The only rumor I heard that involved only prospects was a Texas rumor. All the rest involved at least one major league player who provided us an upgrade.

And at least the Texas rumor involved at least one genuinely major league ready prospect.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
The only rumor I heard that involved only prospects was a Texas rumor. All the rest involved at least one major league player who provided us an upgrade.

And at least the Texas rumor involved at least one genuinely major league ready prospect.

Whatever, I'm not going to turn this into another argument that is already going on in the actual trade thread.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)

That's partly due to the fact that everyone knew we HAD to unload a pitcher and everyone knew it was gonna be Freddy. I bet that was the best deal out there.

I must say I am quite happy with the direction KW is taking. I think we have all enjoyed the past few years where Kenny was able to acquire big name players through trades, and being able to resign some of our favorite players (Pauly, Jose, AJ, Jon, etc). But the writing has been on the wall for some time now that the organization could not go on this way. We have been debating about what to do with several of our guys who need new deals after 07' or 08', but we all know there is no way we were going to be able to keep all of them here. By trading these guys now, we are restocking the farm system, creating some payroll flexibility, and giving ourselves far more options than before. If we would have continued down that path, KW was right, we would have gotten old, pricey, and left ourselves in a position to rebuild. Hopefully this way, we can restock on the fly, meanwhile staying competitive, reaching the playoffs, and as we all saw this October, if you do that, anything can happen.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
I must say I am quite happy with the direction KW is taking. I think we have all enjoyed the past few years where Kenny was able to acquire big name players through trades, and being able to resign some of our favorite players (Pauly, Jose, AJ, Jon, etc). But the writing has been on the wall for some time now that the organization could not go on this way. We have been debating about what to do with several of our guys who need new deals after 07' or 08', but we all know there is no way we were going to be able to keep all of them here. By trading these guys now, we are restocking the farm system, creating some payroll flexibility, and giving ourselves far more options than before. If we would have continued down that path, KW was right, we would have gotten old, pricey, and left ourselves in a position to rebuild. Hopefully this way, we can restock on the fly, meanwhile staying competitive, reaching the playoffs, and as we all saw this October, if you do that, anything can happen.

You hate America!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)

I think more people are reacting to KW's statements about letting our pitchers go instead of bringing them back when their contracts are done.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
I think more people are reacting to KW's statements about letting our pitchers go instead of bringing them back when their contracts are done.

I realize that, but that's part of what I'm saying. We've made one trade with a pitcher who most of us thought would be gone and people are going nuts because of comments Kenny made. As of now, nothing has happened that should make people believe we're rebuilding.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

This article completely ignores that the Sox will likely have a top 10 payroll again this year, and acts like they will just let everyone walk and not sign any veterans ever again.... This article really ticks me off.

I just expect this in the local media all year, Cubs spent a ton of money in the offseason, so that means they dramatically improved and made the right moves, Sox didn't (although, as stated above, they'll still have a strong payroll) so they will suck this year.

(Mods, if I missed this link somewhere else, please merge)

What are you talking about ?

Do you disagree with the notion that the White Sox are going to rebuild their starting rotation with younger power arms with high upside ? Do you agree that the White Sox are not going to overpay for average major league pitchers ? If so, you are disagreeing with Kenny Williams.

Personally, I would like Burhle signed to a 3 year deal, but I can't blame Buerhle for wanting to be paid at market value given that pitchers like Gil Meche are making $11 million a season. If he pitches good this upcoming season for the White Sox, what is his worth ? I understand both sides on this issue.

Look at the OF - the White Sox have several young players (Sweeney, Owens, Anderson who needs to improve bigtime) ready to play in the major leagues - do you think the White Sox are not to eventually give them the LF/CF ?

How about 3B ? Do you not think that Josh Fields will eventually be the 3B for the White Sox ?

The White Sox are going to spend money, but they aren't going to overpay for players and they want to be able to plug in their top prospects into their team - that is both smart, and cost effective.

So, I'm just not seeing your complaint that this article is unfair.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)
probably that is what stuck in my craw out of it the most, kind of a silly spin IMO, that and failing to mention where they are at, and likely will be at in the grand scheme of payroll

I think the point of that comment was that the White Sox want to have their options open and not get bogged down by long-term contracts with older players.

The Tribune could have explained that better, but the overall point of the article was the White Sox want to have a team with a good future built around younger players who they can have some control over financially - not that they aren't going to spend money, but they want to spend money on the right players.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)

I think the point of that comment was that the White Sox want to have their options open and not get bogged down by long-term contracts with older players.

The Tribune could have explained that better, but the overall point of the article was the White Sox want to have a team with a good future built around younger players who they can have some control over financially - not that they aren't going to spend money, but they want to spend money on the right players.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 11:21 AM)
Regardless of whether we sign him or someone else does, Jermaine Dye is going to get PAID next year.

I would be surprised if the White Sox signed Dye before he becomes a free agent. Let's face it, last year was a career year. Not that the White Sox aren't hoping for another big season from him, but I don't expect the same numbers as last year so I think the White Sox would rather pay him off this upcoming season's numbers, and gamble that the market will be more reasonable next offseason.

Either way, it's going to be a big contract, and I think the White Sox, similar to what happened with Konerko, will let him test the waters, and then make a final decison on the contract.

I would love to see KW quietly lock down Buerhle to a new 3 year deal this offseason. Other than that let Iguchi and Dye play the remaining year of their contract out. So i expect big years from both Gooch and Dye. I can see us re-sign Gooch in the offseason while i expect both Pods and Dye go. The window of oppurtunity is closing, 2007 is a big year white sox fans. With no garuntees of Buerhle, Dye or Gooch being back, the time is now to win it all again. I expect the 2008 OF to be Owens LF, Anderson CF and Sweeney RF. With a cheap young OF we can afford a steady solid rotation mixed with veterans and youth.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
I would love to see KW quietly lock down Buerhle to a new 3 year deal this offseason.

I'm sure KW would too, but Buehrle would laugh his ass off. He's getting 5-6 years.

I expect the 2008 OF to be Owens LF, Anderson CF and Sweeney RF.

Yuck. No way Owens starts for the Sox. If Anderson and Sweeney are in CF and RF, then LF will be a power position, because neither of those two really have above 20-25 homer potential, and seeing how young those two are, they might not put up that.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
2008 Standings

1.Twins

2.Indians

3.Tigers

4.Royals

5.White Sox

You expect 2 rookies on the corners and Anderson in his 3rd year being the vet in the OF?

Not a chance.

But if it works, the outfield will be solid for the nexy 6-7 years. There is nothing wrong with starting youth in the field, you just have to know when to pull them.

QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
But if it works, the outfield will be solid for the nexy 6-7 years. There is nothing wrong with starting youth in the field, you just have to know when to pull them.

Two rookies in the outfield in a year in which you are looking to contend is bad, and there's no other way around it.

QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)

I wouldn't have a problem with BA and Sweeney in the OF for 2008, Jerry Owens I don't think is going to be anything more than a 4th OF though.

So it's important the Sox have a power guy in there for the other OF spot, and whether that's re-signing Dye, signing Vernon Wells etc. I don't know, but I'm sure KW will do something there.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 01:16 AM)
Two rookies in the outfield in a year in which you are looking to contend is bad, and there's no other way around it.

What if they are two rookies who hit .290+ and consistantly make plays in the field? If you never take the risk, you never know what they can do for you.

QUOTE(philadelphia sox fan @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
What if they are two rookies who hit .290+ and consistantly make plays in the field? If you never take the risk, you never know what they can do for you.

Who was the last White Sox rookie to hit .290?

And if I were to build a team that I wanted to win a division, I'd like to keep my risk as minimal as possible. Why take the risk if you there are other options?