5 things you don't know about me

southsider2k5

1. I've played on both the warped tour and taste of chaos.

2. I've been to all 48 continental states.

3. I lived in North Ridge CA, for a 3 months and thought i would get married out of high school to the girl i was living with.

4. I'm one of only a handful of people that seen Jeff Pezzati(Naked Raygun) preform half a set list(of Raygun songs) with Shattered Angel at a dive bar known as Rubes in Harvey IL.

5. My real name is Paul, but since birth everyone has called me Beau, I've often questioned my parents why they didn't just name me Beau. Apparently my dad wanted me to continue his legacy, I'm a II not a jr.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I dated a girl in college for a longer period of time than the amount of time I knew my ex-wife (and that includes dating, engaged, married and divorced).

2. I've been to New Mexico more times than Indiana.

3. The waiter at the Billy Goat still recognizes me 4 years after the last time I was there. Yikes.

4. I've been to Mardi Gras twice and Oktoberfest once.

5. The first professional baseball game I attended was a Cubs-Astros doubleheader in 1978. Cubs won 3-2 and 4-2, but I had to come home between the games because Wrigleyville was a terrible neighborhood back then and my dad wanted me home. I was a Cub fan before I knew what that meant until '83 and the Winning Ugly Sox. I never regretted my decision! (Plus, my grandfather is a Sox fan and he took me to my first Sox game)

Alright, I guess I'll take a stab at it.

5. Was a Cubs fan when I was in grade school......It took us getting cable and being able to actually watch the Sox for the brainwashing WGN gave me to wear off.

4. Never attended a Bears game in person.

3. Met Pat Foley in person in between periods of the last Hawks game I ever went to back in October of 2002.

2. Grew tired of college in my second year and quit to go into the Army ( Since have completed all but 5 classes toward my bachelors degree ).

1. Placed 3rd in the 2005 U.S. Army FORSCOM ( thats all U.S. based units ) NCO of the Year competition.

5. Had scholarship offers to D1 schools and chose not to play

4. Never saw Jordan play in person

3. While making money to move out west and be a ski bum I found out I liked what I was doing and I have been working ever since

2. My house burned down in college, and i lost everything but the clothes on my back

1. I travel all over the west coast and tour the great steakhouses of America on business.

Five more:

1. Was a cable puller at the Bulls/Scottie Pippen 1.8 second game and nearly elbowed BJ Armstrong in the mouth trying to catch up to my cameraman during the fight that broke out.

2. Was a grip during the Blackhawks final regular season and final playoff game at Chicago Stadium.

3. During a Bulls-Magic game (this is going to date me), when I was holding the parabolic mic, Shaq nearly stepped on my left hand. He noticed this, looked back and said, "I hope you're a righty."

4. I nearly tripped over James Woods. Yes, he is that short.

5. Played Blackjack in Vegas with Debra Messing.

Extras:

6. Tried my damndest to be a video editor for the Sox after meeting two of the guys that worked there during a company function at New Comiskey.

7. Saw 4 roof shots in one year.

8. Had an Ozzie Guillen home run streak where I was at a game where Ozzie hit a home run for four straight years.

Alright, since everyone is on the sports-related stuff...

1. Played 1 year of high school baseball, but I was too small as a freshman (5'3", 110) to play my position competitively (catcher). By the time I was a senior I was strong enough, big enough (6'3", 200) and self-taught to switch hit, but it was too late by that time to make a run at the team.

2. The guy who was the starting C ahead of me went on to play D1 and minor league ball, before injuring himself out of baseball.

3. I have coached (and played on) my company's softball team since I started here in 1998. I generally hit clean-up and play LF or 3B.

4. Had surgery in March to repair a torn labrum and some capsular damage in my right (throwing) shoulder, and we'll see in the spring if I can still throw a rope (the injury was apparently due to poor weightlifting technique).

5. My first Sox game, I sat in the front row between the dugout and the backstop at old Comiskey, and Moose Skowron was sitting right behind us. Moose is one grumpy dude.

Ok here goes my list...

1. I once drove Tony Pena's car for him.

2. Because of a previous job, I had access to home phone numbers for the biggest stars in the sports world.

3. Proud graduate of Indiana University.

4. Married a girl that I went to high school with, although we didn't date until after college.

4a. Have 2 beautiful children, a boy and a girl.

5. I am friends with a current member of the Toronto Blue Jays.

1. I have been thrown out of a youth baseball game I wasn't playing in. (my brothers Pony league game)

2. The last 3 Bears games I have been to were all against the Eagles, and all were losses. (Playoffs, Champaign, 2 years ago)

3. I have been ejected from a YMCA basketball game, and came real close in Little League.

4. I have ridiculous nervous habits including picking my nails off until they bleed and tossing the remote in the air repeatedly. (I'm f***ed up)

5. I have only been to 7 MLB stadiums but within the next 5 years I will have seen them all.

More for me, but sports related:

1) Was at the Bears game when Walter Payton broke Jim Brown's record, at the Fog Bowl, and at the game where Traylor ran a fumble TD. Man, that was one long, slow run coming right towards the end zone I was sitting in.

2) I played in a 2 on 2 sand volleyball game against karch karai, or however you spell his name, and didn't know it until we were done (losing 15-2). Got an autograph aferwards. Didn't make up for the broken finger from trying to block one of his spikes.

3) Played tennis in college. Took the 4th ranked division 3 player to 5 sets (losing), then lost the next week in straight sets to someone from Joliet Junior College who had only been playing for about a year.

4) Was in a skybox at old Comisky (my one and only skybox trip) when Robin ventura got pummeled by old-man Ryan

5) I managed to bowl 18 strikes in a row without getting a 300 game. Game 2 was spare, then 11, game 3 was 7 then 3 splits. But at least I got a 700 series.

Edited by EvilMonkey

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
More for me, but sports related:

1) Was at the Bears game when Walter Payton broke Jim Brown's record, at the Fog Bowl, and at the game where Ted Washington ran a fumble back for a TD. Man, that was one long, slow run coming right towards the end zone I was sitting in.

2) I played in a 2 on 2 sand volleyball game against karch karai, or however you spell his name, and didn't know it until we were done (losing 15-2). Got an autograph aferwards. Didn't make up for the broken finger from trying to block one of his spikes.

3) Played tennis in college. Took the 4th ranked division 3 player to 5 sets (losing), then lost the next week in straight sets to someone from Joliet Junior College who had only been playing for about a year.

4) Was in a skybox at old Comisky (my one and only skybox trip) when Robin ventura got pummeled by old-man Ryan

5) I managed to bowl 18 strikes in a row without getting a 300 game. Game 2 was spare, then 11, game 3 was 7 then 3 splits. But at least I got a 700 series.

Ventura got pummeled at the mound in Arlington Stadium, deep in the heart of Texas. Were you watching TV in the skybox that day?

Edited by Dick Allen

Hmmm. I know I had alot to drink that night, but SOMETHING happened with the Sox and Texas. I may have to revise that. maybe I was having an out of body experience? or out of mind? I know we had a foul ball bang off the glass, but I swear Ventura did something that game. OK, strike number 5! Except for the skybox part. I have BEEN to Arlington Stadium, but not in a skybox.

Edited by EvilMonkey

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
I don't recall Ted Washington running a ball back for a TD either.

Keith Traylor took it pretty far, but ran out of gas.

Was it Ventura's walk off grand slam?

Fixed that. I was drunk at that game, too. I am detecting a theme here....It was at a double header, and something that happened in the first game, because I got there late, as the first game ended. My alcohol-addled mind remembers it as something ti wasn't, apparently. Musta killed those brain cells at New years eve.

Edited by EvilMonkey

I managed to blow a 300 game and an 800 series in the same 3-game series. I messed up my 300 in my first game in the 11 frame. Then in my third game all I needed to do was spare my last frame and I got a split! Ended up with a 796. :crying

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)
1. Growing up, my parents didn't let us drink soda (all of which were called Coke - whether they were Coke or not). We could only have "Coke" as a treat on the weekends. One glass each, poured from the bottle. During the week we drank milk or Kool Aid, which we called "red juice."

2. My cousin is arguably the most famous Irish-American violin player in the world, and another cousin danced in the original version of "Riverdance." I have no talent in either area. My sister, however, took dance lessons with Michael Flatley. She is marginally more talented at Irish dance than I.

3. In high school, my dad was diagnosed with high cholesterol. The doctor said he needed to cut down on red meat and include more fish in his diet. My mom bought a deep fryer to cook the fish in. No lie. :bang

4. In third grade, I lost the part of Paul Bunyan in a school play to a girl. I later took that girl to senior prom. My wife was also at that prom (though I didn't know at the time). I met my wife a few months later on my first day at U of I. Still together 16 years later with three kids.

5. I once shot at the wrong basket in a high school basketball game. I came off the bench at the beginning of the fourth quarter, and I hadn't been paying attention. A teammate inbounded the ball to me as I broke toward the basket. I went in for the layup. And missed. No wonder I never played.

My wife was in Flatley's school on the northside when she was a little girl. Your sister probably ran into the same thing, they were a lot better at the dance but got hit at some feis's with not keeping their hands locked at the side, which is counted as part of the style.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
My wife was in Flatley's school on the northside when she was a little girl. Your sister probably ran into the same thing, they were a lot better at the dance but got hit at some feis's with not keeping their hands locked at the side, which is counted as part of the style.

I had a friend whose grandmother would tape her arms and hands to her side to teach her "proper technique" while dancing.

QUOTE(PAUL KONERKO 14 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
The best I've bowled is like 160 :crying

I once bowled a 0. Nothing but gutter balls the entire game. I was only 5 or 6 at the time but it was league bowling so it counted. I was PO'd about something the entire game and just kept flinging the ball. I don't remember what my other 2 games were.

i pulled this off about a month ago. back nine in the first game, front nine in the second game, then big split in the 10th. shot 790 because of that split. or it could've been that 4 pin i missed the first game.

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I once bowled a 0. Nothing but gutter balls the entire game. I was only 5 or 6 at the time but it was league bowling so it counted. I was PO'd about something the entire game and just kept flinging the ball. I don't remember what my other 2 games were.

I went bowling for a friends birthday, and the first 4 frames I got strikes and had my best game which I got like 165. But we played another game, and lets just say I can't bowl as good the second time around.