Dumbest moments in Sox history.

santo=dorf

I wanted to recap some of these in the other thread, but it's not like they are some of the worst moments in Sox history.

Dumbest moments in Sox history:

--Jimenez losing a pop up resulting in 3 unearned runs in Oakland.

--Ron Schueler drafting his daughter.

--Carlos Lee posing at a long fly ball then getting thrown out at second in 2004.

--Some catcher in the late 90's rolling a ball back to the mound against the D-Rays after thinking it was the third out resulting in a run scoring.

--That 9th inning in the Twins game in August of 2005 with Garland and Silva. "He drops the ball! DAMN!!!!!"

--Jaime Navarro complaining of run support despite having an ERA over 6.00.

--Neal Cotts starting game 3 of the Yankee series in 2003.

--The Jon Berry/Jeff Barry mixup with LA in 2001.

Edited by santo=dorf

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 06:33 PM)
The worse thing about that Neal Cotts game is Loaiza followed that up with a pretty damn good start vs the Tigers and we lost anyways if I remember correctly. I still dont know why Loaiza didnt just face the yanks.

The way I recall it, it was Buehrle who could have pitched against the Yankees on Normal rest that day due to an off day, but Manuel went with Cotts anyway.

One I gotta throw in as incredibly dumb; throwing Loaiza out in game 1 against the Twins in a key series in 2003 when Loaiza was sick as hell. Cotts would have been a better option that day.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The worse thing about that Neal Cotts game is Loaiza followed that up with a pretty damn good start vs the Tigers and we lost anyways if I remember correctly. I still dont know why Loaiza didnt just face the yanks.

Loaiza threw a one hitter against the Yankees on the opening game.

Manuel said he wanted Buehrle against the Tigers the game after the Yankee conclusion because Mark had a good career record against them. Of course, Buehrle didn't pitch that well and the Sox lost. :angry:

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)
Tori Hunter taking out Jaime Burke at the plate.

I dont really see how that was a dumb moment for the Sox, it was a collision at the plate, Burke got KTFO.

Paniagua and his fan love was a pretty dumb moment.

Oooh, I have a good one. Jerry Manuel letting Jim Parque talk him into letting him start, then letting Mike Cameron and Bret Boone park 4 homeruns.

That whole game could be a dumb moment. The Seattle Mariners offense was ridiculous that day.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 09:24 PM)
So, I'm waiting for some of those out of college to chime in. I'm sure that there have to be some beautiful moments from the Lamont/Boom Boom eras that i just can't remember.

Lamont really didnt have many. He had a good team, then he had a damn good team, then his team sucked. It wasnt like he made alot of bonehead moves, his 1995 team just wasnt what it was when he left work early in 1994, and he lost his job because of it.

Im thinking hard about Bevington, but I really tried to block out that section of White Sox history.

Tony Phillips challenging those fans in Milwaukee to meet him under the stands was another good one.

There was a game in 92 (I think) when the Sox went to Milwaukee and they were winning by a ridiculous amount and I think Scott Fletcher or Kevin Seitzer hit a ball that was supposed to be a pitchout for a bases clearing triple and the Brewers came back to win. I remember being really mad watching that game

How can I forget Bevington making a call to the bullpen with nobody warming up?

Or him arguing with the umpire in Buggs Bunny fashion. "I was trying to say the ball was fair, but I was saying it was foul, and he was saying the ball was fair instead of saying the ball was foul."

Carlos Lee getting picked off of third to end a one-run game against the Expos back in 2002.

Graffanino not making the tag at third on a sacrafice against the Cubs. (thought it was a force out)

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)
Or him arguing with the umpire in Buggs Bunny fashion. "I was trying to say the ball was fair, but I was saying it was foul, and he was saying the ball was fair instead of saying the ball was foul."

They used to play that on the Score all the time. Classic. He actually confused himself.

Ozzie pointing to the wrong arm when he went to the pen.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Carlos Lee getting picked off of third to end a one-run game against the Expos back in 2002.

Graffanino not making the tag at third on a sacrafice against the Cubs. (thought it was a force out)

Yikes, i was at both.

It wasn't really a dumb moment, but it was rather hilarious. Did anyone see the game last year when Pablo Ozuna swung at a pitch after it already reached the catchers mitt? Hawk was laughing hysterically with much bewilderment as to "What the heck was that?" Can't remember who the game was against, or the date, but when I saw it, I was cracking up as well. I must admit,.,.............I never saw anything like it!.

It was Ron LeFlore who got hit in the head with a flyball. Also, it was Carlos May who had his thumb tragically blown off -- not Carlos Lee.

This is a great thread.

To me, the dumbest moment in White Sox history encapsulated what a mistake the Terry Bevington Era was. I am remembering a nationally televised game in Baltimore on Fox. Terry ordered an intentional walk. After intentional ball three, he visited the mound. Realizing he had just made an embarrassing mistake, Bev had no choice but to turn around and return to the dugout. After intentional ball four was delivered, Bevington returned to the mound and made his pitching change.

That was the same year Bev tried to make a pitching change with no one warming up.

I once saw Warren Newson go from first to third on a caught pop up. Just put his head down and started running.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 12, 2007 -> 09:25 PM)
the steve sax moment has to be up there.

It's Steve "Psyco" Lyons", but I second that. So funny and yet so stupid!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Lyons_(...#Eccentricities

His most remembered incident occurred at Tiger Stadium in Detroit on a Monday night in 1990. In a televised game played on July 16, he created a stir that was replayed countless times. After sliding headfirst into first base to beat out a bunt hit, Lyons dropped his baseball pants to empty the dirt out and brush off his shirttail. After a few seconds (and a reaction from the crowd of over 14,000), he realized what he had just done and quickly pulled them up, humorously embarrassed. Although wearing sliding shorts under his White Sox uniform, this incident earned him another nickname, "Moon Man" Lyons. At the end of the inning, women in the stands waved dollar bills at him as he came to the dugout.
Edited by Athomeboy_2000