Sox Sign Eduardo Perez

Chisoxfn

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
No, but you have to keep in mind that Pods has become pretty much the most hated White Sox player of this decade. I'm tempted to have Deploderer make me a Kalapse-like sig with a Pods baseball card that says on the front of it "I hate you to motherf***er!"

IMO, the Pods "hate" is overblown [maybe not around here] and definitely unwarranted. The guy was horrible last yr. No doubt. But Ozzie was the guy who kept putting him out there, because the sox didn't have many other options. For all Pods faults and "suckiness", by all accounts, he's trying. If he was loafing it and couldn't care less, than the hate might be warranted. But the guy is out there giving effort.

I'd like an upgrade for the leadoff spot, sure. But there weren't many options this offseason and even fewer now. I still think a healthy Pods would be more like his 2005 1st half. But health is the key. And he'll be starting 2007 off already in a hole. But does that mean he should be worthy of all the hate? No. It's not like the sox are paying Pods like Kerry Wood when he was hurt all the time and stealing the cubs money.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 03:48 PM)
IMO, the Pods "hate" is overblown [maybe not around here] and definitely unwarranted. The guy was horrible last yr. No doubt. But Ozzie was the guy who kept putting him out there, because the sox didn't have many other options. For all Pods faults and "suckiness", by all accounts, he's trying. If he was loafing it and couldn't care less, than the hate might be warranted. But the guy is out there giving effort.

I guess I was watching a different game when I saw Pods half-ass it to first base on almost every ball he hit. If the reason he couldn't run through the base was due to his "injury", then he should have not been playing. There's nothing less productive than a speed player without speed.

Edited by fathom

I believe Mackowiak will be the odd man out. He's as much of a thirdbaseman as he is a centerfielder, so you have Ozuna and/or Uribe to play third in pinch, with Fields in AAA if Crede goes on the DL. Erstad can fill in any of the OF spots and supplies the LH bat that Mackowiak supplies, plus Erstad is better defensively. If Perez can hit lefties like he has shown he can, then he's more valuable to the Sox than Mackowiak.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 06:58 AM)
I can't really blame him. Politte and Cotts would make it hell for any manager in that situation. Looking back on the bullpen last year, 1) It's amazing how we still won 90 games, and 2) How huge the MacDougal trade looks now.

I'm happy we got MacDoug, and overall the bullpen was bad, but some of them pitched rather well throughout and at various points of the season. Thorton, Jenks, Riske, MacDoug.

Politte was horrid, but pitched very few innings. Those 4 above somewhat balanced out McCarthy and Cotts' bad performance + lots of innings.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 07:47 PM)
Ozuna's only real plus at this point is his speed. He's third (or worse) on the depth chart at every position as of right now -- behind Cintron at 2B and SS, behind Mackowiak and Cintron at 3B, behind Erstad and Mackowiak at all the OF spots.

Plus, while their OPS' vs lefties were similar last year, I'd venture to guess that Perez' is more sustainable than Ozuna's. Afterall, Ozuna really wasn't a good player for the Sox past July -- in his final 103 ABs, he put up a .247/.284/.371 line.

The depth chart (which is not something that the Sox officially put out or stick to, but just something your various online sports sites ) is less relevant than whether the pitcher is a lefty or righty. See Ozuna basically platooning in left field for a lot of the season.

I agree with you that, though their OPS's were almost identical against lefties last year, Perez is more likely to have the higher OPS against lefties. But by how much? 10 points, 20 points, 50 points? Who knows? But any of those options really amount to a very small marginal difference in production when we are talking about only 150 at bats, and that Perez will make an out in 100 of those. So the question remains whether or not the marginal increase in production from Perez in 150 at bats warrants an spot on the 25 man roster. When you factor in that Ozuna could platoon not only for DH, but for our weak-hitting lefty leftfielders, play 2nd, 3rd, ss in a pinch and lf, and is one of the only speed guys on the team, I certainly don't imagine he's moving. I'd be happy to see Pods still recovering on the DL or on a rehab, and Perez on the team on opening day.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 08:28 AM)
No doubt...but I think Guillen is more likely to allow Contreras, Garland and Buerhle to work through their problems, and you can't go to the bullpen in the 5th inning every game.

Vazquez completed 6 innings or more in a start 24 times (75%) and pitched into the 6th inning in 30 starts (alot%). I think Ozzie's likely to allow him past the 5th inning, don't you think?

And Floyd/Haeger/Danks/whoeverthef*** will likely put up atleast 150 innings, which is perfectly acceptable out of a 5th starter (so long as the ERA is not in the 7.50 range).

The bullpen will be used sparingly again because that's the way Ozzie manages.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)

He had no confidence in last year's bullpen (I can't blame him). I hope this year's crew inspires more confidence and we don't see Javy out there in the 7th inning in detroit.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
I guess I was watching a different game when I saw Pods half-ass it to first base on almost every ball he hit. If the reason he couldn't run through the base was due to his "injury", then he should have not been playing. There's nothing less productive than a speed player without speed.

If he was dogging it like you said, then Ozzie would have chewed him out. Ozzie publicly said that Pods was too hard on himself. His lack of effort was never mentioned [that I am aware of] by Walker, Ozzie or KW as a big reason he sucked last yr.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
If he was dogging it like you said, then Ozzie would have chewed him out. Ozzie publicly said that Pods was too hard on himself. His lack of effort was never mentioned [that I am aware of] by Walker, Ozzie or KW as a big reason he sucked last yr.

On routine plays,he dogs it down the line quite often. The White Sox as a team dog it. There was an article on ESPN.com in the last couple of years that had a scout quoted as saying they can't get good times for White Sox players down the line because they rarely go all out. Thome is an exception, there are a couple of others. Ozzie himself, used to jog down to first on routine grounders. In fact, I remember Hawk even calling him out on it once. The White Sox should get better at that. If they had the reputation for going all out on even the most routine of groundballs, it would put a little pressure on the defense, and would cause a few errors during the course of the season, and probably win them a couple more games. My problem with Pods is besides the fact that running is his only plus, he baserunning instincts are horrid. I remember several times when he failed to score on grounders when the opponent was conceding the run. A lot of much slower players would score easily on plays when Pods is standing on third.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
Vazquez completed 6 innings or more in a start 24 times (75%) and pitched into the 6th inning in 30 starts (alot%). I think Ozzie's likely to allow him past the 5th inning, don't you think?

And Floyd/Haeger/Danks/whoeverthef*** will likely put up atleast 150 innings, which is perfectly acceptable out of a 5th starter (so long as the ERA is not in the 7.50 range).

Based on last season, you're probably right, but how many times did we see Ozzie leave Vazquez in the game a bit too long ? I think with what Ozzie feels is a stronger bullpen, he's not going to let Vazquez lose a game, instead he'll the bullpen win the game.

With the top 3 starters, I think Ozzie will let them pitch into the 7th inning+ regularly, and because of that, the bullpen will be rested for days when we Vazquez or the 5th starter struggle.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In our division, it's vital to have guys who can hit lefty pitching. You wouldn't hear one complaint from me if Perez was the DH against every LHP, and Thome was on the bench. I know it won't happen like that, but it would improve our offense against LHP. Last year, I believe the Sox were like 3 and 12 in games started by Johan, C.C., and Kenny Rogers. Those guys are great, but if you're going to win your division, you can't be dominated like that by the top pitcher of your rivals.

I actually agree with you that it's fascinating how much some of us hate him after 2005. Just think how much it must suck for Houston to think this guy is good! Looking forward to sparing with you in 50 days or so.

In fairness to Thome, besides Pablo Ozuna, he hit Santana the hardest last year: .250/.250.750.

Last year we crushed Robertson (Perez was 6-9, 1.838 OPS,) but not C.C or Rogers.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
Based on last season, you're probably right, but how many times did we see Ozzie leave Vazquez in the game a bit too long ? I think with what Ozzie feels is a stronger bullpen, he's not going to let Vazquez lose a game, instead he'll the bullpen win the game.

With the top 3 starters, I think Ozzie will let them pitch into the 7th inning+ regularly, and because of that, the bullpen will be rested for days when we Vazquez or the 5th starter struggle.

K, I'm not arguing this anymore because it's obvious you don't understand that Vazquez was better than Buehrle last yaer.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
K, I'm not arguing this anymore because it's obvious you don't understand that Vazquez was better than Buehrle last yaer.

Mark Buerhle actually had a solid first half, and was better than Vazquez, but was horrible in the 2nd half, and also outperformed by Vazquez.

Anyway you want to slice it, Buehrle is normally a workhorse, and Guillen trusts him to go deep into games. Vazquez can be dominate, but he's not consistent from inning to inning or game to game.

For whatever reason, you seem to have the opinion that Vazquez is about to break out and have a big season, and I don't believe he'll be any better than what he's done in the past 3 season's - great in certain games, but overall ERA in the mid/upper 4's.

If you think Buehrle will have another bad season, then I understand your argument better, but this is what this board is all about - good discussion, and different opinions.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
Mark Buerhle actually had a solid first half, and was better than Vazquez, but was horrible in the 2nd half, and also outperformed by Vazquez.

Anyway you want to slice it, Buehrle is normally a workhorse, and Guillen trusts him to go deep into games. Vazquez can be dominate, but he's not consistent from inning to inning or game to game.

For whatever reason, you seem to have the opinion that Vazquez is about to break out and have a big season, and I don't believe he'll be any better than what he's done in the past 3 season's - great in certain games, but overall ERA in the mid/upper 4's.

If you think Buehrle will have another bad season, then I understand your argument better, but this is what this board is all about - good discussion, and different opinions.

No, I'm honestly just curious as to why you'd think Ozzie would handle Vazquez any different when it's quite apparent that he hasn't and would seemingly have no intentions to.

I'm also not sure why everyone lumps Vazquez in with the #5 starter - who has a shot to be one of the worst starting pitchers in the major leagues numbers wise, regardless of who it is - when he was arguably just as good as every other starter in the rotation last year. That's really all.

I do think Vazquez will have a good year for the Sox (as in being a top 2 starter for the Sox), but I'm admittedly one of Vazquez's biggest homers (and yes, I used the word homer). However, my expectations are simply a 4.20-4.60 ERA with good peripherals, 210 IP, and about 13-15 wins - which in turn means I expect him to exceed expectations. I don't find that to be too unrealistic.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 12:10 AM)
No, I'm honestly just curious as to why you'd think Ozzie would handle Vazquez any different when it's quite apparent that he hasn't and would seemingly have no intentions to.

I'm also not sure why everyone lumps Vazquez in with the #5 starter - who has a shot to be one of the worst starting pitchers in the major leagues numbers wise, regardless of who it is - when he was arguably just as good as every other starter in the rotation last year. That's really all.

I do think Vazquez will have a good year for the Sox (as in being a top 2 starter for the Sox), but I'm admittedly one of Vazquez's biggest homers (and yes, I used the word homer). However, my expectations are simply a 4.20-4.60 ERA with good peripherals, 210 IP, and about 13-15 wins - which in turn means I expect him to exceed expectations. I don't find that to be too unrealistic.

Wite and Javy sitting in a tree...

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 12:10 AM)

I don't lump Vazquez in with the #5 starter, but he's been up and down, and inconsistent the past few seasons. He clearly comes into the season as a better pitcher than Gavin Floyd.

As far as Ozzie's handling of Vazquez, I do believe that he'd prefer to give every benefit of the doubt, but how many times did we see relievers warming up in the bullpen come the 6th inning because Vazquez could implode ? Of course, when he's pitching well, Ozzie's going to stick with him, just as he would with anyone else on the staff, but he has also had to have the bullpen ready earlier than he would like.

I don't find your numbers for Vazquez to be crazy at all - in fact, he's capable of putting up big numbers, and next to Contreras, he has the 2nd best stuff on the staff. He just needs to become more consistent.

I'm a believer that Mark Buerhle will win 15-18 games, and return to his usual self so if you're right about Vazquez improving upon his numbers, then the White Sox should have a good season.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 10:24 AM)
I don't lump Vazquez in with the #5 starter, but he's been up and down, and inconsistent the past few seasons. He clearly comes into the season as a better pitcher than Gavin Floyd.

As far as Ozzie's handling of Vazquez, I do believe that he'd prefer to give every benefit of the doubt, but how many times did we see relievers warming up in the bullpen come the 6th inning because Vazquez could implode ? Of course, when he's pitching well, Ozzie's going to stick with him, just as he would with anyone else on the staff, but he has also had to have the bullpen ready earlier than he would like.

I don't find your numbers for Vazquez to be crazy at all - in fact, he's capable of putting up big numbers, and next to Contreras, he has the 2nd best stuff on the staff. He just needs to become more consistent.

I'm a believer that Mark Buerhle will win 15-18 games, and return to his usual self so if you're right about Vazquez improving upon his numbers, then the White Sox should have a good season.

As far as I recall, later in the season Ozzie seemed to stop warming pitchers up in the 5th and 6th unless Vazquez was getting into troubles. I of course do recall Ozzie warming pitchers up in the 5th and 6th and him pulling Vazquez at the earliest signs of trouble, and I am completely against that policy simply because it's probably the easiest way to destroy a pitcher's confidence. At those times, you simply need a pitcher who knows what he needs to do, and I think (hope) that Vazquez is in that category after having spent a season within the AL again. I obviously can't guarantee anything, but I have high hopes.

And just a point of technicality, but Vazquez has the best stuff out of anyone within the White Sox entire organization, aside from Jenks. A mid 90s fastball that moves, along with 2 plus breaking pitches is better than Contreras's fastball-splitter/forkball combo (which is ridiculously good all the same). It's a matter of harnessing it, simple as that.

Finally, I too have been a big believer that the Sox rotation will rebound to slightly better numbers in 2007; not 2005 numbers where the Sox have 4 starters with ERAs under 4, but rather something along the lines of 2 guys having ERAs under 4 with 2 others having ERAs in the 4.20-4.60 region. I'm not really naming names, I'm just kinda basing that on probability and career numbers. Perhaps an unwise belief, but I find it reasonable enough.